Honda HR-V Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hopefully, this service bulletin item will get fixed during everyone's next service? I'm going to print this out as a reminder. I still haven't had my first oil change yet.

Thanks for mentioning this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my 2016 HRV in at Honda Service now-They heard the noise. The vibration is occurring 15-35 mph rear middle on drivers side, really don't hear it at higher speeds. If you sit in passenger side it's worse.
This is the second time I've brought it in. They replaced the left strut, said it was defective. I'm going to call them and tell them to look at the exhaust resonator.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
No prob. After taking it on longer drives, I can't hear the rattle anymore. I thought I heard it a couple times but it's hard to tell over my loud Falken Azenis tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone has new information about this rattling noise? my hr-v is from two weeks in dealer. And the cant find the sourse of the noise.
I'm really desperate. I'd like to give them some help to get back the car as soon as possible...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone has new information about this rattling noise? my hr-v is from two weeks in dealer. And the cant find the sourse of the noise.
I'm really desperate. I'd like to give them some help to get back the car as soon as possible...
Bought my 2016 HRV w/Navi last June. All was well until recently - low rumbling noise while making right hand turns. Did some research before bringing the car in to my mechanic. Spoke to him about checking the O2 sensor that I read on the thread posted by Selden and others. He noticed and showed me after putting it on a lift that the torque rod was loose. He recommended that I take it to the dealer, which I did immediately. I informed dealer of the noise the car makes and what my mechanic had found. I was quickly told the car had to be diagnosed again. Several hours later, I was told the torque rod was "backing into" the transfer case, however the issue was resolved, a test drive was done and the "noise is gone". Glad it's covered under warranty! Hopeful the noise won't come back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm taking my car on Thursday for the THIRD time to fix this rattling issue on the right rear side at speeds less than 40mph. The first time they replaced the O2 sensor; the second time they replaced the shock. Both times it was fixed for awhile (both repairs were last fall; I bought my car in July 2016), but now it's back. I've printed out this thread to take with me. My question to you all is what should I tell them this time/how should I handle it? I'm not a happy camper that I have to go in for the third time with my new car for the same issue. One of the reasons I've had Hondas practically my whole driving life is for their dependability. It's very disappointing.

The other question I have for you experienced car people is: how serious is this problem? Should I avoid longer trips or higher speeds until it's fixed?

Thank you so much for this thread and your comments. I thought it was just me hearing things....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some dealers are just bad at diagnosis. It took 3 trips to replace my door switches at my dealership, and I could prove to them what it was the first time

Probably nothing life threatening if it's in the right rear. Bad shock was a good guess, that O2 sensor is up front though and may be heard while idling. Do you only hear it when moving? Can you hear it if you get out and someone slowly revs the engine in park?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2c re the rattling noise issue.
Bought mid-spec (ES, CVT, 1.5 petrol) HR-V in July this year. Since day one there was rattling noise coming from somewhere deep behind the dashboard on the left side (we drive on the wrong side of the road here, so left side equals passenger side). Rattling only between roughly 1200 and 2500 RPM. No rattling if the car is stationary and CVT is in P or N positions. Turned off AC and fans - same, turned off the multimedia system - same.
Notified dealer about the issue - agreed to let the car settle for some time and they'd take a look if the rattling isn't gone by then. The noise didn't go away after 1.5 months.
Gave up the car for inspection and repairs on Monday 28th.
It transpired it was air intake resonator vibrating in resonance with the engine. As I understand, the resonator assembly is located somewhere on the left side near the front bumper. Basically, one or several bolts attaching the resonator to the chassis was/were cross threaded during assembly in the factory (Gracias, amigos! What have I ever done to you?!) - hence the rattling noise the loosely secured resonator assembly was making. After the bolts were replaced (and the holes/nuts re-threaded?) the noise was gone.
I'll report here if the issue returns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry, don't have facilities to lift the car and take a photo.
possibly someone else here can do that for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my HR-V in July 2016 also. A couple of months ago I noticed a rattle/rumble type noise in the rear right when driving at slow speeds. Took back to dealer for a filter change and mentioned the noise. Had to make an appt. for the following week. 2nd trip to the dealer they said a screw was missing in the rear left wheel well and they replaced it and problem should be all set. Noticed the noise still there on my 35 minute ride home. Made appt. for 3rd time and they changed a mount on the differential. Again, noise still there. On the 4th trip they replaced the whole assembly of the shock/strut on right rear wheel, said the Bushong was worn. This was my 4th trip to the dealer , which is a 35 minute ride on a good day, and waited 2 hours each time. I asked the service guy to come with me for a test drive and he could still hear it. He the asked the mechanic to ride with me and we could hear it plain as day. The mechanic said he’s gone through the whole car and there is nothing loose and he would drive it to California, there is no safety issue. He said it’s just a normal car noise! Well nobody else’s car makes this noise. I’m at my wit’s end!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my HRV in for an oil change and mentioned the buzzing noise under the hood. They asked me to leave it there to have checked. A few hours later I get a call and the rep. said that the tech. determined the 02 sensor bracket to be at fault and that there's a service bulletin out for it. They ordered an updated version of the bracket that's supposed to fix the issue and I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the updated bracket once I get it back.
It's a known problem with a service buletin:
NHTSA ID: 10083974
TSB ID: A16-037
Date: 11/04/16
Service bulletin - the o2 sensor bracket may not have the correct bend, allowing the harness to rattle.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Has anyone else had their O2 sensor bracket replaced? The dealer supposedly replaced mine but it looks the same as before and the noise only went away for a few weeks and came back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noise in my 2017 is exactly at 19 mph and only when it is cold--then goes away completely until car sits for a hour or more then repeats itself exactly--will take it in to Honda--could be all the above--thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Honda service manager told me the service bulletin applies to 2WD models only, not the AWD I have. (EX)
I experience the same rattle after slow down then slight acceleration.
Anyone else heard this about the 02 sensor bracket issue for 2WD models only?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a 2017 FWD and have not noticed. Even if Service Bulletin does not apply, the Honda technician should be able to easily check your O2 sensor bracket to confirm.

Good luck.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts