Honda HR-V Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Identical problem in the 2017 models...Honda...fix it!!!

I purchased a 2017 HRV AWD EX-L Navi last year and after 10 months it started making a grinding vibration noise when accelerating at around 35 mph. It's been into the dealer, they thought it was the heat shields but then they said it wasn't so they called the Honda tech line for the mechanics and they were told that Honda is aware of the issue since others are complaining of same issue but that there is NO FIX! I've opened a complaint with Honda and get the run around that there is nothing they can do until they do a recall.

Please call Honda customer service and open a complaint with them too if anyone is having the same issue. Doing my research now I see that consumers were having the same complaints back in 2015!! It's 2018 and Honda still doesn't have a fix for this issue? So why are they knowingly putting out a defective product?!?!

Go on youtube under Honda Hrv noise, someone posted the issue with a video...it's identical to the sound mine makes and it won't go away...it's gotten worse over the past 2 months.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread. My HRV has been making a rattling noise right at 2500-3000 RPM, almost since the day I bought it. It was EXTREMELY faint when the car was brand new. At first, I thought it was the metal clip on my garage door opener that I kept in the lower center storage space. Now, at 17,xxx miles, it's very noticeable and loud. It only happens when the engine is fully warmed up though. Even right after the cold engine light goes off, or shortly after, it won't happen.

I absolutely hate working on my car in cold weather, so once it gets warmer, I'll have to see if this fix works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread. My HRV has been making a rattling noise right at 2500-3000 RPM, almost since the day I bought it. It was EXTREMELY faint when the car was brand new. At first, I thought it was the metal clip on my garage door opener that I kept in the lower center storage space. Now, at 17,xxx miles, it's very noticeable and loud. It only happens when the engine is fully warmed up though. Even right after the cold engine light goes off, or shortly after, it won't happen.

I absolutely hate working on my car in cold weather, so once it gets warmer, I'll have to see if this fix works.
Not sure if you're having the same issue as me...is when you accelerate? If you go on youtube and search under 2016 Honda HRV noise it's the identical noise my 2017 is making. If it is please file a complaint with Honda corporate...I've taken mine to the dealer and they say Honda is aware of the issue but there is no fix! People have complained since 2015 about the issue...but Honda won't or can't fix it which is beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my hrv is beginning to make a rattling sound, it coming from the dashboard and the gear shift area. anyone have this problem?
Not sure if you're having the same issue as me...is it when you accelerate? If you go on youtube and search under 2016 Honda HRV noise it's the identical noise my 2017 is making. If it is please file a complaint with Honda corporate...I've taken mine to the dealer and they say Honda is aware of the issue but there is no fix! People have complained since 2015 about the issue...but Honda won't or can't fix it which is beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure if you're having the same issue as me...is when you accelerate? If you go on youtube and search under 2016 Honda HRV noise it's the identical noise my 2017 is making. If it is please file a complaint with Honda corporate...I've taken mine to the dealer and they say Honda is aware of the issue but there is no fix! People have complained since 2015 about the issue...but Honda won't or can't fix it which is beyond frustrating.

The first video has the exact sound mine has. I mean...filing a complaint about a known issue won’t really do anything, especially if they’re not going to even attempt to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all checking in again. So I have been hearing this weird metallic sounding noise. Its VERY faint and feels like its coming from the rear. It usually disappears but always comes back at lower speeds. Wondering if this is what you guys are talking about. It almost sounds like the air from a dyer duct or something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im hearing it too!!!!! Got worse over the last 2 days.....That coupled with crappy gas mileage since winter.....im not a happy camper!
Guess its time to take "Cole Blue" in for his first check up!!! ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks,

I apologize I'm resurrecting an old thread. But I was wondering if those who had this issue noticed that the sound went away after the car ran for a few minutes (15-20 minutes). It's been raining where I live for the past 2 weeks so I haven't had a chance to secure the rattling connector but I figured I'd ask if anyone noticed something similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Philip I have been having this same rattle vibrating sound for the past week on my 4 month old HRV. It’s gotten louder as time went on. Im pretty sure its the O2 sensor like they say in this thread, sadly I have no way to get under it to tape it up. This morning it was very loud, almost embarrassingly loud. But halfway to work it suddenly stopped and was quiet, until I had to slow down for a turn and then it came back upon accelerating, then got quiet again suddenly. Did the same thing on the way home. My dealer was bought by another after I purchased it and now they only schedule appointments for a week out, which is annoying I mean what if it’s something different and im ruining my car for another week? I’m at their mercy. Hopefully it’s this easy fix. I sure wish I had longer arms and could reach it from above :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Philip I have been having this same rattle vibrating sound for the past week on my 4 month old HRV. It’s gotten louder as time went on. Im pretty sure its the O2 sensor like they say in this thread, sadly I have no way to get under it to tape it up. This morning it was very loud, almost embarrassingly loud. But halfway to work it suddenly stopped and was quiet, until I had to slow down for a turn and then it came back upon accelerating, then got quiet again suddenly. Did the same thing on the way home. My dealer was bought by another after I purchased it and now they only schedule appointments for a week out, which is annoying I mean what if it’s something different and im ruining my car for another week? I’m at their mercy. Hopefully it’s this easy fix. I sure wish I had longer arms and could reach it from above :(
Hey Ceege,

Is your HRV a 2019??! I would have thought that it would have been fixed by now...

From my understanding, there's no harm from the rattle. Since it only appears between 1450-1550 RPM, as others have noted it occurs due a specific sound oscillation. If you can please keep me posted with what your dealer says. Unfortunately, I bought this car second hand and it's out of warranty so I'm going to try to fix it on my own first as soon as it stops raining here. But I would love to hear the remedy the dealership uses.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Ceege,

Is your HRV a 2019??! I would have thought that it would have been fixed by now...

From my understanding, there's no harm from the rattle. Since it only appears between 1450-1550 RPM, as others have noted it occurs due a specific sound oscillation. If you can please keep me posted with what your dealer says. Unfortunately, I bought this car second hand and it's out of warranty so I'm going to try to fix it on my own first as soon as it stops raining here. But I would love to hear the remedy the dealership uses.

Phil
Hey Phil,
Mine is actually a 2018 as they had a few left on the lot this past March. I will definitely update on what they find/fix!

Ceege

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Phil,
So my appointment was today. Was not the O2 sensor after all. Turns out that a bolt had worked its way loose on my motor mount and when I shifted into gear and drive it would touch the subframe and cause the loud vibrations throughout the car. Glad it’s fixed and happy it wasn’t something worse!!
Purrs like a kitten again. Yay!!

Ceege

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the rattle when accelerating from a stop, maybe around 2500 rpm. 2019 AWD

This is a photo of my bracket and sensor, which seems very tight

Does this look at all like the 2016 setup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the rattle when accelerating from a stop, maybe around 2500 rpm. 2019 AWD

This is a photo of my bracket and sensor, which seems very tight

View attachment 29680

Does this look at all like the 2016 setup?

It's a bit difficult to make up the photo but from my understanding 2019 models don't have this issue anymore. Most people here who had this rattle experienced it between 1250-1750 RPM. So yours might be something else, perhaps it's what Ceege had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have isolated the rattle ti when pulling off gas at exactly 2500 rpm after accelerating from stop or turn.

Doesn’t do it with parking brake on in neutral.

tied or braced anything underneath with movement of any kind. Still there.

Practicing so I can demo rattle to dealer.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Even better, when you are getting ready to practice, put your phone on audio recording and then start your test. That way if you capture it you can play the audio for the service advisor and tech.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts