Honda HR-V Forum banner
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone have a rattle vibration noise when you give it throttle? When you accelerate you hear this very annoying rattle/vibration noise that doesn't go away. Every time you move it does this rattle, even at higher speeds. I looked under the car and there are lots of plates, heat shields. The sound can't be heard parked in the garage giving it throttle, you have to be moving, any thoughts.
I found that the lower engine torque strut is the main cause of the noisey rattling going on under there.It is found under the mud/snow shield. It looks like a dog bone and is bolted from the engine to the front frame.
It’s made out of some composite stuff instead of steel or alloy. I insulated mine with some flex seal spray giving thick coats two days apart.Being from Hawaii I didn’t reinstall the snow/mud shield. The car runs smooth and solid and I like it better than when it was new. I used the whole can and I believe the more the merrier! Aloha from the 808.

·
Registered
2021 HR-V EX
61 Posts
Anyone have a rattle vibration noise when you give it throttle? When you accelerate you hear this very annoying rattle/vibration noise that doesn't go away. Every time you move it does this rattle, even at higher speeds. I looked under the car and there are lots of plates, heat shields. The sound can't be heard parked in the garage giving it throttle, you have to be moving, any thoughts.
Is this a 2021 model?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I found that the lower engine torque strut is the main cause of the noisey rattling going on under there.It is found under the mud/snow shield. It looks like a dog bone and is bolted from the engine to the front frame.
It’s made out of some composite stuff instead of steel or alloy. I insulated mine with some flex seal spray giving thick coats two days apart.Being from Hawaii I didn’t reinstall the snow/mud shield. The car runs smooth and solid and I like it better than when it was new. I used the whole can and I believe the more the merrier! Aloha from the 808.

So you sprayed a can of white roof/gutter sealant on the lower engine mount on your 2020 HRV??

And 2 members "liked" your post, think that is a good idea??

Lol, I'll stop typing now.. :)

·
Administrator
1,510 Posts
So you sprayed a can of white roof/gutter sealant on the lower engine mount on your 2020 HRV??

And 2 members "liked" your post, think that is a good idea??

Lol, I'll stop typing now.. :)
I liked that he was able to find a solution to his problem. I'm not sure where you're getting "White roof/gutter sealant" from but Flex Seal makes several different adhesives.

Adding polyurethane to oem motor mounts has been a really popular modification for many years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi- In regards to the Flex-Seal I used it comes in various colors, I chose black. It comes in a spray, a tub of thick paste or a tube of caulking, I chose spray so the mixture could get deep into the cavity that the strut is bolted to on the sub frame side. The theory here is to deaden the vibration/harmonics passing through the strut mount to the sub frame which is bolted to the floor of the interior cabin. The vibration we all feel is from the steel belt churning on the pulleys in the trans which is sad to say normal. When you get under there you’ll see grooves in the strut mount-fill those up completely-like I said the more the merrier. You will also see at the corners of the sub frame it is bolted to the cabin floor. The next time I go under there I’ll put a thick bead or two where the two parts meet. ps- give the flex seal 10 or 15 to cure and by wetting your fingers you can pack,shape and mound it-it is the BOMB. 808

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes — although it assumes that the tach is accurate. In any case, the resonance occurs only with a 100 RPM range, which is a classic case of a harmonic resonance. Once you know where the problem is, a fix should take less than 15 minutes. It's fairly easy to immobilize the connector using some silicone rubber, without crawling under the car. It's not a high-heat location.
Hey guys! I'm Christian, I'm from El Salvador and just got a 2020 EX HRV, 1.8L with only 5k miles on it and have the same exact noise around 1500 rpm...

Been searching through a LOT of forums and people that had to change the engine, belts, etc... with NO solution at all...

Finally I think I found the solution here, I'm going to try it next time I give the car a maintenance, but really hopping it will fix it.

Thank God for this thread, that noise was driving me crazy 😂!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car has had a rattle that I have spent probably 50 hours trying to diagnose, it would be really loud when the vehicle was cold, especially between 1200-1600 rpm. It would quite down about 75% when the car would warm up after like 10 minutes of driving, but it was always there. Even at freeway speeds I could hear it. I had seen this thread and tried everything imaginable to the O2 sensor bracket. Silicone, felt tape, flex seal, zip ties. None of it worked. I had pulled off the heat shields and wrapped them. I had added high temp silicon washers to the heat shields to space them a little from the body. No change.

Well, yesterday I finally found my cars rattle.

On the exhaust, not far from the O2 sensor bracket there is a short piece of exhaust pipe that goes from the headers to the first cat and exhaust, the flange has 2 bolts that have springs , the bolts were completely tightened, but one of the springs was still rattling. I loosened the bolt, in doing so the spring rotated like a half turn. I retightened the bolt and the spring was now tight, and my car sounds so much quieter. The relief I feel is amazing. I can't tell you how nice it will be to do oil changes now, knowing that it'll only take 20 minutes, instead of 20 minutes for an oil change, and an hour of rattle tracking since I was already under the car. I have attached a diagram,
Handwriting Font Art Auto part Circle
the bolts and springs are # 10 & #11

Hope this helps anyone that the bracket didn't stop the rattle

141 - 149 of 149 Posts