Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am very interested in buying a 2018 HRV EX model. I have seen one with 20K for $18k. The only reason I have not bought it is because I read so many complains on the CVT Transmission.
I would like to know, is this problem only with HRV ? or all Hondas with CTV? Also is it a problem with just the 2016 model or all models?

I would like to hear from anyone who owns an HR-V with over 100K with no transmission issued. I plan to swap fluid every 20K and really maintain it to the maximum. Would anyone recommend the 2018 HRV and at that price? I drive daily 35 miles round trip with once a year or twice a year a 300 mile round trip. Should I stick to the models with 5-speed 6-speed trans? I can't believe a cheap CVT transmission would be purposely put in these things given the Honda good quality reputation.
I would love to hear from anyone with an HRV with over 100k with original trans. Also love to hear your thoughts about this 2018 HRV EX with 20k.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Close to 100k miles, but it's a 6 speed manual. Reading this forum I'm not sure I'd buy a CVT model when this one gets older, which is too bad because this little car is amazing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close to 100k miles, but it's a 6 speed manual. Reading this forum I'm not sure I'd buy a CVT model when this one gets older, which is too bad because this little car is amazing

Agreed! thats how I feel. Darn shame the cvt is an Hrv curse because the size of this veichcle and small engine is really attractive. I've had nothing but horrible luck with used American brand cars. Horrible problems such as electrical issues fluid leak issues transmission issues. I really want to buy Honda but the CVT is a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
234 Posts
CVT are the future - like it or not. More and more manuals are gone, and the CVT is more efficient transmission than a standard auto these day, so to meet MPG requirements the automakers turn to CVTs out of necessity.
Even clutch pedals are going the wayside in the high end performance cars- and electronics are taking over.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
It would be easier to print change every 30K miles in the owner's manual for something that is constant.

I think all cars should have a maintenance progress bar for their fluids/filters like a printer. One can tell when maintenance will be coming up soon from a glance. They all have a big info screen, might as well take advantage of it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It would be easier to print change every 30K miles in the owner's manual for something that is constant.

I think all cars should have a maintenance progress bar for their fluids/filters like a printer. One can tell when maintenance will be coming up soon from a glance. They all have a big info screen, might as well take advantage of it.

View attachment 30333
Great suggestion but it makes too much sense for car companies whose main goal is increasing the number of cup holders!

·
Registered
79 Posts

75% the way to 100k miles, also a 6-speed manual, also not sure I'd get a CVT model. I said early on that I'd consider the CVT if they made an LX with paddle shifters. But after the long-term issues with the CVT and Honda canning the manual trans option at the midcycle refresh, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Agreed! thats how I feel. Darn shame the cvt is an Hrv curse because the size of this veichcle and small engine is really attractive. I've had nothing but horrible luck with used American brand cars. Horrible problems such as electrical issues fluid leak issues transmission issues. I really want to buy Honda but the CVT is a deal-breaker.
It's a decent car for what it is. Keep in mind that it's a car that hovers right around the low $20k price-point new. You're getting a transportation appliance, not a luxury car. I dented the hood on my HR-V while casually leaning on it, and I'm not a hulk. It has squeaks and rattles and corners cut to make that price point.

Have you considered the Kia Soul? If my HR-V got crushed by a tree tonight, that's where I'd be looking. Good old port injection, manual trans, and 147hp. Granted, the manual is only available on the base model and the other trims except the top model have a CVT, but I bought a base model HR-V so no loss there.

There's also the Hyundai Kona if you can get over the polarizing looks. 6-speed transmission, 147hp, port injection. There's also the Toyota RAV4 (both the outgoing model and the current model). The Hyundai Venue is also a consideration, but it has 20hp less than the HR-V, and I'd argue that the HR-V isn't exactly a rocket ship.

(I'm not a Hyundai/Kia/KDM fanboy. In fact, I've never owned a Korean-brand car).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
CVT are the future - like it or not. More and more manuals are gone, and the CVT is more efficient transmission than a standard auto these day, so to meet MPG requirements the automakers turn to CVTs out of necessity.
Even clutch pedals are going the wayside in the high end performance cars- and electronics are taking over.
I know, my wife's Nissan is a CVT, but pretty sure I've read about a pending class action on that one. Had a Fiesta before that with a DCT, the class action came after we dumped that jerkey piece of crap.

I probably won't own another manual after this car unless I buy an old toy, but I'll be looking at cars with a better track record when I do

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones on the CVTs. I have one of the first HRVs in my metro area and I know from the sticker both the engine and transmission were built in Japan. I've also already done one fluid replacement (at 32K miles) and plan a second at 60K.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
There is an owner here with close to 100K. He reports back every 10K. We should hear from him soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Honda makes their in house CVTs , A lot of car makers use CVTs from JATCO, when you build your own transmission it's easier to remedy a problem, and improve them.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
Not always true. With a supplier, you can demand they make everything to specification or refuse the part. Internally, some will pass defects they would normally have the supplier fixed. Because of time and cost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think Honda makes their in house CVTs , A lot of car makers use CVTs from JATCO, when you build your own transmission it's easier to remedy a problem, and improve them.
In all fairness, Honda hasn't exactly had a stellar reputation for their transmissions, home built or otherwise. The V6 Accord transmission back in the 2000s were made of glass, and the 8th generation Civic Si transmissions had a nasty 2-3 shift grind. The 9-speed they used in the Pilot and TLX had so many problems even in the press cars that reviewers urged buyers to opt for the cheaper 6-speed models. In fact, I'd say Honda's Achilles heel is their transmissions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts