Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it's been about a year since I started looking into the HRV.
I read about he cvt issued but the repair cost is around $2k when and if it fails. This isn't much compared to a 2014 jeep I had that needed $3k repair for ABS/Computer issues and other leaks and such. So the CVT issue can be looked passed as it will be driven with care and maintained.
I hear about vibrations, but all my 4Cyl cars had some sort of vibration given the inline 4 engine. The Suburu H-4 engines are shaped like an H to reduce vibration so given it's an inline 4 I can also look past that.
I don't really care for the infotainment this car is for transportation not entertainment.
I also ready some electrical issued such as alarm going on off , dead battery etc. What are your views on this?
I'm looking to buy a 2018 HRV LX with 30k on it for about $18 k, is that a good deal? Its a home car I use a beater rusted truck for work and need a clean car to go out on the weekends and where my wife can take the kids to school. This car probably won't be driven 5k miles a year.
I really just need someone to push me to make this purchase, I'll be trading in a 2008 civic for the 2018 HRV. Is the price worth is?
All cars have issues and this seems to be the most value for the price.
Is it worth it or not? Would a 2014 crv with 100k for $13 be better value?
Is the CVT guarnteed to fail? is it the same CVT as in my 2008 civic?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
The HRV is a fantastic car, pretty sure most here love theirs as much as I love mine.

Don't worry about the CVT if you change the fluid the second you get it.

I change the fluid every 6 months and haven't had any issues as of yet @ 75,000 miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The HRV is a fantastic car, pretty sure most here love theirs as much as I love mine.

Don't worry about the CVT if you change the fluid the second you get it.

I change the fluid every 6 months and haven't had any issues as of yet @ 75,000 miles
Great to hear! I hope you have yours for years to come!

The saving on fuel per year - I fill up now about $40 a week, with this it's about $20 a week, thats $20x52 $1,040 and a saving of $1,040 enough for a new transmission! in 2 years time of saving on fuel thats enough for transmission and labor.
I really like it visually, to me it is a smaller version of the CR-V which is not that visually appealing compared to the HRV. We drive locally rarely travel further than 20 Miles. Savings on insurance and fuel alone is enough incentive to purchase.
Going to try to get the 2018 HRV lx for $15k from $18 listed. If that works for me, I'll be saving the savings on the side for future repair. I have been researching for a year and it seems all veichles have problems so at this point it's about finding the one with the least repair cost.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Cvt replacement will be more than $2k, I think I've seen like $6k. Also seems like earlier models had more issues, but that could be just that they've generally got more miles on them.

Infotainment on the '18 is passable, just no car play or volume knob. I've had no issues with mine

This isn't a BMW, it's a noisy little 4 banger with a vibrating CVT. It's also cheap and light. Know that going in and it should be fine

Car alarm issues are all aftermarket problems, there is no factory option. This car does seem picky with aftermarket alarms though. Battery will probably fail within 3 years, it's small and the OEM sucks. That's cheap, just replace when the time comes and move on

Your starter button may give you issues, it's a 15 minute fix to spray electronics cleaner on the terminals

Couldn't tell you if that's a good price or not, depends on your area and other factors. You'll be hard pressed to find something with low miles that has this amount of cargo room and gets this good of mileage for the same price. Overall they're very reliable cars minus the transmission (which nobody knows the true failure rate)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I think he's thinking of a used transmission which isn't a bad idea if it's low miles with a warranty. The bigger parts recycler in North America (LKQ) can offer your mechanic a 2 year warranty on it which brings piece of mind.

I feel like OP is overthinking the transmission issues. Change the fluid regularly, change the two cvt filters every 100k and make sure the cvt breather tube isn't blocked every oil change. If you can be on top of these things, I personally don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is a similar thread with more thoughts on the HRV and used car buying recommendations:

Best of luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
413 Posts
My biggest gripe with mine IS the infotainment system.
If that is of no concern to you- then enjoy this little urban go-getter !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all! I think I'm going to get it today. Going to trade a 2008 civil ( trade value about $1500 and has 135k on it ) Going to test drive today and if it meets my low expectations I am going to buy it. I have been looking for a year at cars and cannot find something with low miles for a decent price. I have been looking at other cars and they are about $15k for 100,000 miles +. I have been reading posts on this site for a while and it's been a great help. I have been over thinking the cvt issue because I'm pretty cheap and for $18k I want a brand new, 100% reliable , 0 miles , V8 4 door pickup truck with leather. Since that's not possible, I will be getting an HRV :) . It also looks better than the CRV . I feel like the CRV is visually challenged where the HRV looks similar to the mustang mach e and this shape of vehicle seems to be the new style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read about he cvt issued but the repair cost is around $2k when and if it fails. This isn't much compared to a 2014 jeep I had that needed $3k repair for ABS/Computer issues and other leaks and such. So the CVT issue can be looked passed as it will be driven with care and maintained.
I hear about vibrations, but all my 4Cyl cars had some sort of vibration given the inline 4 engine. The Suburu H-4 engines are shaped like an H to reduce vibration so given it's an inline 4 I can also look past that.
I don't really care for the infotainment this car is for transportation not entertainment.
I also ready some electrical issued such as alarm going on off , dead battery etc. What are your views on this?
I'm looking to buy a 2018 HRV LX with 30k on it for about $18 k, is that a good deal? Its a home car I use a beater rusted truck for work and need a clean car to go out on the weekends and where my wife can take the kids to school. This car probably won't be driven 5k miles a year.
I really just need someone to push me to make this purchase, I'll be trading in a 2008 civic for the 2018 HRV. Is the price worth is?

Thanks all.
By the 2018 w 30k is fair price. Not the 2014. 100k too many miles. Big improvements after 2017.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
By the 2018 w 30k is fair price. Not the 2014. 100k too many miles. Big improvements after 2017.
I've got a 2016 hrv ex. Other than some misaligned panels, some rattles and bad paint - the car is perfect.

Just out of curiosity, what improvements came after 2017?

I think you're thinking of 2018+.

The facelift was for 2018-2021 models so all 2016-2017's should be the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2016 HRV EX-AWD was one of the first production models that I bought in Dec 2015 and I've had no issues with it. The ability to take large items in such a small car is short of amazing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update : The model I wanted was 2018 with 21K miles, sold hours before I got there! Waiting on one with 35K miles. Same model.
I've got a 2016 hrv ex. Other than some misaligned panels, some rattles and bad paint - the car is perfect.

Just out of curiosity, what improvements came after 2017?

I think you're thinking of 2018+.

The facelift was for 2018-2021 models so all 2016-2017's should be the same.
The only reason I'm getting a 2018 is because the miles are low and the 2016 is only $3k less. The look of the vehicle is similar not enough to buy one over the other but the price is similar so I'll go with lower miles and newer year.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks all.
My CVT went at 66k miles on my 2016 and it cost over 6000$$. The alarms going off is due to water getting into the back latch causing it to malfunction. It usually happens when driving during heavy rains. I may take to Honda for a water test which cost 125$. The other issue was the back two struts needed replacement at the 2 year mark. I like the car but the seat are very uncomfortable for long drives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seem to read most of the trans problems are for the 2016 models. Have they changed the trans in the 2018 model? And is this the same CVT in the civics and crvs?

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
I seem to read most of the trans problems are for the 2016 models. Have they changed the trans in the 2018 model? And is this the same CVT in the civics and crvs?
According to amsoil's website and a used transmission website, the part numbers for transmissions are the same for 2016-2021 models

G3AA (FWD)
G2CA (FWD)

GPAA (AWD)
G5CA (AWD)

The CA extension is for Canadian models.

Because of this, I don't think the trans problems are mostly 2016's. It just seems that way for now because the 2016's have the most miles on them.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
My CVT went at 66k miles on my 2016 and it cost over 6000$$. The alarms going off is due to water getting into the back latch causing it to malfunction. It usually happens when driving during heavy rains. I may take to Honda for a water test which cost 125$. The other issue was the back two struts needed replacement at the 2 year mark. I like the car but the seat are very uncomfortable for long drives.
Sorry to hear about your CVT. There's another thread on here full of others like you so you're not alone with having to do this expensive repair.

Out of curiosity, was the CVT fluid ever changed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to amsoil's website and a used transmission website, the part numbers for transmissions are the same for 2016-2021 models

G3AA (FWD)
G2CA (FWD)

GPAA (AWD)
G5CA (AWD)

Because of this, I don't think the trans problems are mostly 2016's. It just seems that way for now because the 2016's have the most miles on them.
Very helpful thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

G3AA (FWD)
G2CA (FWD)

GPAA (AWD)
G5CA (AWD)

This is perfect. I have yet to go purchase the car but I really really want it. I just cant get my self to go purchase it for $18k until I see just a couple people with over 100k with original trans and no major problems. I can live with the silly things like cheap seats or stuff made of plastic. I just need to be assured the engine and trans will last for atleast 100k Miles . They would be super maintained , I mean I would change trans fluid every 15k Mi and engine oil every 3k Mi. I also change spark plugs every 50k even though some say 100k.

Do you think the HR_V is made " Cheaper " than for example an 08 civic? Did they cut so many corners that they are taking my hard earned money for kia quality? I mean as long as it's not kia or hyundi cheap I'd be fine with that. Any one here know a good site for used trans with low miles? At least if the trans goes out I would replace it only to sell it.
Can anyone here convince me it's worth $18k for a 2018 with less than 40K Mi. And can any one assure me it will last atleast to 100k Mi? Any extended warranty available through honda or similar? It's been snowing here lately so I havn't been able to go test drive it as it just seems to snow on the days I'm available and I need good clean streets to try this out. I love small cars I owned a PT cruiser for 5 years and that thing was great I only replaced a $200 sensor for engine oil or air pressure I forgot but it was great, used and 50K mi.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts