Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is perfect. I have yet to go purchase the car but I really really want it. I just cant get my self to go purchase it for $18k until I see just a couple people with over 100k with original trans and no major problems. I can live with the silly things like cheap seats or stuff made of plastic. I just need to be assured the engine and trans will last for atleast 100k Miles . They would be super maintained , I mean I would change trans fluid every 15k Mi and engine oil every 3k Mi. I also change spark plugs every 50k even though some say 100k.

Do you think the HR_V is made " Cheaper " than for example an 08 civic? Did they cut so many corners that they are taking my hard earned money for kia quality? I mean as long as it's not kia or hyundi cheap I'd be fine with that. Any one here know a good site for used trans with low miles? At least if the trans goes out I would replace it only to sell it.
Can anyone here convince me it's worth $18k for a 2018 with less than 40K Mi. And can any one assure me it will last atleast to 100k Mi? Any extended warranty available through honda or similar? It's been snowing here lately so I havn't been able to go test drive it as it just seems to snow on the days I'm available and I need good clean streets to try this out. I love small cars I owned a PT cruiser for 5 years and that thing was great I only replaced a $200 sensor for engine oil or air pressure I forgot but it was great, used and 50K mi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would love to see replies to your query. I purchased a 2017 (returned lease) good mileage and good price. Needed a car quickly. My mechanic recommended Honda or Toyota ( or better Subaru) . But I found this Honda and I liked it. Now, after reading about trans issues, I’m concerned. Did I make a mistake? Curious to see how people respond. I’m hanging in there with you Terra Tone.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
This is perfect. I have yet to go purchase the car but I really really want it. I just cant get my self to go purchase it for $18k until I see just a couple people with over 100k with original trans and no major problems. I can live with the silly things like cheap seats or stuff made of plastic. I just need to be assured the engine and trans will last for atleast 100k Miles . They would be super maintained , I mean I would change trans fluid every 15k Mi and engine oil every 3k Mi. I also change spark plugs every 50k even though some say 100k.

Do you think the HR_V is made " Cheaper " than for example an 08 civic? Did they cut so many corners that they are taking my hard earned money for kia quality? I mean as long as it's not kia or hyundi cheap I'd be fine with that. Any one here know a good site for used trans with low miles? At least if the trans goes out I would replace it only to sell it.
Can anyone here convince me it's worth $18k for a 2018 with less than 40K Mi. And can any one assure me it will last atleast to 100k Mi? Any extended warranty available through honda or similar? It's been snowing here lately so I havn't been able to go test drive it as it just seems to snow on the days I'm available and I need good clean streets to try this out. I love small cars I owned a PT cruiser for 5 years and that thing was great I only replaced a $200 sensor for engine oil or air pressure I forgot but it was great, used and 50K mi.
It's not made like a BMW but in my opinion, there's nothing cheap about it.

I'm at 120k km and the only things I've changed are wear items.

Curious to see how people respond. I’m hanging in there with you Terra Tone.
The topic has been discussed ad nauseam, there's a ton of threads on it.

My conclusion after reading all of them is that there are no issues with the transmission - as long as it's maintained (fluid changes, filter changes, checking breather tube..etc)

If there were issues, there would be a recall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thx Michael 613.... I’m a new owner of used HR-V and new to this forum. Haven’t read anything but what’s here after purchase. So, ty for your informed POV. Your comment has eased concerns. You’re right about recall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thx Michael 613.... I’m a new owner of used HR-V and new to this forum. Haven’t read anything but what’s here after purchase. So, ty for your informed POV. Your comment has eased concerns. You’re right about recall.
I believe, satisfied customers go about their daily lives and disatisfied customers look for a way to vent. Unless a survey was sent to all owners asking them about the issue,one would always find more negative than positive. It may not be a BMW but it certainly isnt a kia. kia brand factory new 0 miles $15k. Wheres the profit? Its at the cost of quality.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Do you think the HR_V is made " Cheaper " than for example an 08 civic? Did they cut so many corners that they are taking my hard earned money for kia quality?
Now the Fit is gone from NA. HRV is their entry level car.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Let's look at reality here. There are 11,000 members of this forum. We do have some who have had transmission failures. What is that true number? Having been on this forum since before the HRV was even generally available, and being active, I'd venture to guess that number is less than 100, or less than 1%. Even if I'm wrong by 100%, that makes the number relatively small for a relatively good sample size. If you go by Honda HR-V Sales Figures it says that in the US and Canada alone, probably nearly a half million HRVs have been sold. If the transmissions were an issue, then the used car value would be tanking. For my 2016 EX-L with 55,000 miles, I can still expect it to retail for about $15K, or 62% of the new purchase price after nearly six years of ownership. I'll take those odds, and that value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's look at reality here. There are 11,000 members of this forum. We do have some who have had transmission failures. What is that true number? Having been on this forum since before the HRV was even generally available, and being active, I'd venture to guess that number is less than 100, or less than 1%. Even if I'm wrong by 100%, that makes the number relatively small for a relatively good sample size. If you go by Honda HR-V Sales Figures it says that in the US and Canada alone, probably nearly a half million HRVs have been sold. If the transmissions were an issue, then the used car value would be tanking. For my 2016 EX-L with 55,000 miles, I can still expect it to retail for about $15K, or 62% of the new purchase price after nearly six years of ownership. I'll take those odds, and that value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for this!!! I appreciate your comments. You’re right about the value of your car b/c I looked almost everyday for 6 months on used car websites and multiple independent used car dealerships, and the value of your car is exactly what you say it is. Most used (from 2016) HR-Vs around here (NJ,NY,Conn) were valued between 15K-19K depending on model and mileage. And, consistently valued the same give or take a few hundred.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for this!!! I appreciate your comments. You’re right about the value of your car b/c I looked almost everyday for 6 months on used car websites and multiple independent used car dealerships, and the value of your car is exactly what you say it is. Most used (from 2016) HR-Vs around here (NJ,NY,Conn) were valued between 15K-19K depending on model and mileage. And, consistently valued the same give or take a few hundred.
I bought a 2016 LX HRV AWD new when they came out. I was a little nervous about buying a new model
but since the 1.8 engine and CVT transmission had been used in the Civic for a few years I figured they
were proven. I really like it. I got the LX because I didn't want to worry about the electronics in the upper
models. It is under powered but it gets out of it's own way in normal driving, no worries there. Fuel economy
is very good, 25-28 city, 31-34 highway depending on how you drive. I was more worried about the CVT transmission so I changed the fluid at 30,000 miles and plan to do it at that interval regularly. When I drained
it at 30,000 miles it looked like new fluid so that was good. Paid $23,500 out the door in NY, felt that was a good price. I recommend it!

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
186 Posts
With an all new HR-V being released later this year (in Europe at least) it may be worth holding on until nearer its NA release as dealers tend not to want 'obsolete' stock hanging around.

Not sure if it's a similar situation in NA, but the second hand market in the UK has taken a major hit.

Might give you more leverage on either price, warranty and extras when it comes to purchase time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
With an all new HR-V being released later this year (in Europe at least) it may be worth holding on until nearer its NA release as dealers tend not to want 'obsolete' stock hanging around.

Not sure if it's a similar situation in NA, but the second hand market in the UK has taken a major hit.

Might give you more leverage on either price, warranty and extras when it comes to purchase time.
Government checks have given people the chance to buy a car and the manufacturers have been closed for a while ( back open mostly ) not producing new cars the combination of that and a weakening dollar have drove used car prices about $5k higher on average. I have researched for over a year and noticed a sky rocket price in used vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Government checks have given people the chance to buy a car and the manufacturers have been closed for a while ( back open mostly ) not producing new cars the combination of that and a weakening dollar have drove used car prices about $5k higher on average. I have researched for over a year and noticed a sky rocket price in used vehicles.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts