Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be changing my wife's diff fluid this weekend. Is there a way to clear the code 6 on the mm, or does the dealer have to do it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
But if you are not changing oil at the same time, the reset will put oil % back to 100% but will clear the code 6. I looked too but did not see a way to reset only the code 6. I only have FWD ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just changed the rear diff fluid. Pretty gross sludge on the drain plug magnet!Also, the fluid was markedly darker than the fresh stuff. I expect the next change won't be so bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the mm reset info fellas. That's kind of what I thought but wanted another opinion. My wife will be taking it in for the B check on Monday. They can reset it then. I just couldn't justify paying them $90 for a simple 15 minute job!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I went in to get a wind noise issue fixed and discovered the differential fluid from the factory is a break-in fluid. It needs to be replaced after the first 15K miles and then every 30K miles. This is why I missed not having a listed maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and have to rely on the Maintenance Minder.
Hey Einz, can you clarify the schedule? If first is at 15K and "then every 30K", the second would be at 45K, correct? (15+30=45)

I'm right around 45K now, but I did my first around 20-25K.. figure I could just wait til the next oil change, but want to make sure.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Differential and Transmission Fluids

Today I change the transmission and differential fluids on my 2016 HR-V LX, at about 19,000 miles. I used the recommended Honda fluids for each: HCF-2 for transmission (4 quarts @ $15/qt on Amazon) and Dual Pump II for differential (about 1.5 quarts @ $12.45/qt on Amazon).

For the transmission I did not bother to remove the check plug, just measured what came out (4 quarts) and put the same amount back in. You need a long neck funnel to reach the fill hole.

The differential required a fluid transfer pump to put the fluid in since there is not enough clearance above the fill hole for a funnel. I happened to have one made by Pennzoil ($10 on Amazon) and adapted the pickup tube to fit a quart container (mine is made for a gallon jug but they do sell one specifically for quart containers). Add the fluid until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Replace the fill plug and drive a short distance and you will be able to add more fluid. Total added was a bit less than 1.5 quarts.

Both the transmission and differential have magnetic drain plugs and I found a bit of metal dust on each so changing the fluid even with this low mileage is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know the torque specs for the two plugs when you're replacing them? I'm about to change my diff fluid for the first time on my 2017.

Oh, and also...Hi, this is my first post.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just did my differential fluid change. It was pretty straight forward and easy. I didn't even have to jack the car up. There is a check procedure to be performed after a fluid change. It is as follows:

1. Apply the parking brake and block all four wheels.

2. Start the engine, and let it idle for more than 6 seconds, then turn the engine off. Repeat this step three more times.

3. Shift to D while pressing the brake firmly. Press the accelerator pedal for 2 seconds then let it idle. Repeat this step three more times.

4. Check that the AWD system indicator does not come on. If it does, check for AWD with intelligent control system DTCs.

Has anyone done a fluid change and not perform this procedure? Did you ever have any problems or dash indicator lights?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just did my differential fluid change. It was pretty straight forward and easy. I didn't even have to jack the car up. There is a check procedure to be performed after a fluid change. It is as follows:

1. Apply the parking brake and block all four wheels.

2. Start the engine, and let it idle for more than 6 seconds, then turn the engine off. Repeat this step three more times.

3. Shift to D while pressing the brake firmly. Press the accelerator pedal for 2 seconds then let it idle. Repeat this step three more times.

4. Check that the AWD system indicator does not come on. If it does, check for AWD with intelligent control system DTCs.

Has anyone done a fluid change and not perform this procedure? Did you ever have any problems or dash indicator lights?

I changed out my diff fluid and didn't perform this check procedure as thoroughly as you described and haven't had any dash lights or problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I paid $77.25CDN which includes a $3.00 enviro fee and 12% Sales Tax. That equates to $58USD. Anything more would be really excessive. In Canada the prices (menu) are set by Honda Canada and apply at all dealers. The enviro fees and taxes vary slightly between provinces. The service reminder came up at 23,000km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone help me out with the bolt sizes on the differential and oil pan? I've got to get the tools and don;t want to spend a lot of time going back and forth with the wrong ones... Any ideas on where to get this crazy 0/20 or 0/16 oil? I haven't been able to locate it locally... og my HRV is a 2018. Thanks!

·
Banned
609 Posts
I have enjoyed reading & learning about my HR-V. I read this post on changing the rear end differential oil. We are talking about the HR-V, right? I cannot find any mention about this in the owners manual, and no one from Honda ever mentioned it to me. I have heard about replacing the fluid in Honda CVT's every 30,000 miles, but I have never heard of having to replace fluid in ANY differential EVER. Please give me the page number. If there is in fact a need to replace the differential fluid ever, I am going to sell my car. I see no reason for it. My mechanic told me that Honda is getting close to making a maintenance free car, and this would be a step backwards. Please show me...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have enjoyed reading & learning about my HR-V. I read this post on changing the rear end differential oil. We are talking about the HR-V, right? I cannot find any mention about this in the owners manual, and no one from Honda ever mentioned it to me. I have heard about replacing the fluid in Honda CVT's every 30,000 miles, but I have never heard of having to replace fluid in ANY differential EVER. Please give me the page number. If there is in fact a need to replace the differential fluid ever, I am going to sell my car. I see no reason for it. My mechanic told me that Honda is getting close to making a maintenance free car, and this would be a step backwards. Please show me...
You don't mention which year HRV you have. I have a 2016. In the 2016 Owner's Manual on Page 385 it describes the maintenance service items. The table for Sub-Items is CODE Maintenance Sub Items

1 ● Rotate tires
2 ● Replace air cleaner element*2
● Replace dust and pollen filter*3
● Inspect drive belt
3 ● Replace transmission fluid*4
4 ● Replace spark plugs
● Inspect valve clearance
5 ● Replace engine coolant
6 ● Replace rear differential fluid*

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is there a table of time and mileage maintenance schedule for all the items or do you just rely on the maintenance minder? I can't seem to find it in the owner's manual.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts