Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any DIY'ers here who did rear brakes on your HRV?

I bought a set of rear Honda brake pads, and was disappointed to see it had TRW stamped on the pads, which is an aftermarket brand, but my front pads have HONDA stamped on them. Has anyone here bought rear OEM pads and did you find the same?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just like batteries, I will NEVER buy them from Honda. Their batteries, just like their brakes, SUCK! Furthermore, everything you buy at any dealership is SUPER INFLATED IN PRICE.

There's three things you never go cheap on. Tires and brakes, and the battery, but you don't have to spend twice as much at a dealership to get quality at a lower cost to you.

The issue you'll have with brake pads from Honda is the mere fact they don't last long, on purpose. They work very hard to make their customers feel like they are getting the highest quality products from Honda in order to get you to return to them for everything. As for Honda dealerships installing your brakes, they'll replace your brakes with their junk brakes at an overly inflated price, then to add an overly inflated installation charge. You get brake pads they spent probably $10.00 on, and you give them $300.00-$400 of your hard earned money. And the worse part of it all is you'll be back in about a year, maybe two if you're really lucky.

Midas, Pep Boys, etc. all play the same game of making people feel like their getting something for free by offering free brake pad but you have to pay for the over inflated installation service, and they use the cheap of the cheap brake pads that wear quickly in order to insure you will return for free brakes again in the very near future. I know people who have to go back for new brakes almost every year. However, not everyone is a sucker, and if you do the research you'll find this to be true.

I've been purchasing nothing except the Wagner ThermoQuiet for my vehicles for decades, and in my honest opinion they're the best of everything. Because they're ceramic pads, they're considerably quieter, cleaner, healthier and safer for the environment and those in the vehicle, and they will last you for many many many miles. The only downside to using ceramic pads is that they will also wear your rotors a slight bit more than the cheaper choices, but that's not a real issue considering the extra miles you'll get out of these ceramic pads and the fact that rotors are inexpensive.

Regardless of whether my rotors are worn too thin or not, I change them out every other brake pad change just to be safe. Safety isn't something you never want to compromise on to save what, maybe $40 bucks for all four rotors. Nope, safety is one thing nobody should ever compromise on.

Conclusion, get the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic brake pads and you wont regret it.

Well, I reckon you've heard enough of my babbling, lol. Hope I was helpful.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'm at 93k on the original OEM pads with plenty of life left. They seem fine if not better than previous cars I've owned?

The battery was shit, I'll give you that

Also just replacing the stock Michelin tires, got 60k miles without issue on them (rotated snow tires in)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Those TRW pads you picked up from the dealer are made in Japan to Honda's specifications. They've also got galvanized backing plates so quality is 10/10. I bought em a year ago and couldn't be happier.

Here's a video on why OEM brake pads are best:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts