Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so my led lights went out on the driver side. Found a cheap replacement online but the housing seems to be missing the 3 pole plastic plug. Can I just rip out the old wires from the old housing? Was hoping for an easy swap.
Electrical wiring Tool Technology Machine Wire

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello all, so my led lights went out on the driver side. Found a cheap replacement online but the housing seems to be missing the 3 pole plastic plug. Can I just rip out the old wires from the old housing? Was hoping for an easy swap. View attachment 32466
You'd probably not want to "rip" the connector off but you should be able to remove it. Just be gentle and use something to press each of those prongs on the original housings connector down to allow the connector to slip off. If you just pull, more than likely it will break the weld points on where the prongs connect to their respective wires. While there isn't anything wrong with doing it that way, you may eventually want to return to stock for one reason or another and would have to weld those back up (and keep them handy in a plastic bag or something so they don't dissappear on you) to put the connector back on the original wiring.

Just look at the way those are shaped and how the bottom angled portion is keeping it from sliding out of the plastic. You'll want to use something like a fork or eye glasses screwdriver to wedge between the plastic connector and the prong to get it to clear the plastic portion so each of them can be pulled free through the bottom of the connector and then replace them in the same order as before using the new housing's wiring.

You shouldn't have an issue figuring out the order since the 3 should only fit in one way and seem to be ordered the way they should be already based on the picture. Still though, I'd suggest testing the bulb first thing before you get everything bolted back up that way you don't have to repeat the process with the housing partially connected to the car or disconnect it all again to do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts