Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always bugged me just how low in the windscreen the rear view mirror sat compared to my previous vehicle.

Looking at the Owners Manual (Page 193 UK version) it merely states you can adjust the rake and angle of the mirror housing, which I have done, but it still obscures a fair amount of my forward vision.

Today I discovered you can adjust the height and angle of the mirror stalk (the part that connects the mirror housing to the windscreen/safety camera housing) and this has made a vast improvement to my forward vision, I no longer have to bob and weave like a boxer every time I want to ensure I have a clear view ahead.

I'm a little surprised this functionality is not mentioned in the (UK) owners manual.

Passing on in case of benefit to others.

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
2021 LX AWD Modern Steel Metallic
44 Posts
It always bugged me just how low in the windscreen the rear view mirror sat compared to my previous vehicle.

Looking at the Owners Manual (Page 193 UK version) it merely states you can adjust the rake and angle of the mirror housing, which I have done, but it still obscures a fair amount of my forward vision.

Today I discovered you can adjust the height and angle of the mirror stalk (the part that connects the mirror housing to the windscreen/safety camera housing) and this has made a vast improvement to my forward vision, I no longer have to bob and weave like a boxer every time I want to ensure I have a clear view ahead.

I'm a little surprised this functionality is not mentioned in the (UK) owners manual.

Passing on in case of benefit to others.

Regards,

HT
I just installed my new Valentine V1 Gen 2 radar detector using the original Blend Mount (mirror mount) from 2003. It fit the mirror stalk in my LX just fine, but trying to adjust the mirror for height was brutal. I was afraid I might crack the windshield. But, brute force and ignorance ultimately prevailed, and I was able to get it up to a sensible height. It is just unreasonably tight, or maybe it's just mine?

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
It always bugged me just how low in the windscreen the rear view mirror sat compared to my previous vehicle ... Today I discovered you can adjust the height and angle of the mirror stalk ... I no longer have to bob and weave like a boxer every time I want to ensure I have a clear view ahead
So, how did you do it? Mine is too low for the fitment of the Weathertech SunShade (I posted a thread about that), I'd like to raise it for that reason.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, how did you do it? Mine is too low for the fitment of the Weathertech SunShade (I posted a thread about that), I'd like to raise it for that reason.
The mirror mount is glued to the windshield/windscreen. I believe @Hadleys Taxi is referring to adjusting the ball-joint closer toward the windshield than the one closer to the rearview mirror itself. Most don't realize that both ball-joints are moveable, since adjusting the rearview mirror just moves the ball-joint closest to the mirror.

You'd need to remove the windshield mount and re-glue it higher up if you want to move the entire mirror assembly to a different position on the windshield glass.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's as TwoWheelsDown says, my 'solution' is reference to both ball joints connected to the mirror and the windscreen. Also, my mirror is connected to the Honda Safety system and not directly to the windscreen;

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You keep bringing up these gadgets that you get in the UK @Hadleys Taxi !
You're right, I should just concentrate on introducing the metric system to the US, before even thinking about the gadgets.

The automatically dipping near side wing mirror when reverse is selected must seem like witchcraft to you!

Genuinely surprised at how much kit is either not standard or even unavailable in the US.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Thank you for teaching me something new twowheelsdown. I was sure you were wrong, so I looked, and you were right! I never noticed the two ball and socket joints before

·
Registered
943 Posts
You're right, I should just concentrate on introducing the metric system to the US, before even thinking about the gadgets.
Shouldn't you finish implementation of it in your own country BEFORE you try and thrust it upon us who have a pure system?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those signs are to help out American tourists.......

Kudos on your googling skillz!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can put me down as a Yank in favor of the metric system, it’s far easier to understand.
The irony is not lost on me that the main reason the currency ($) of the country (US) that has continued to refuse to adopt the metric system was used to replace the £ as the main global currency was due to it being a decimal currency; it was divisible by 10 or 100; 100 cents = $1.

Whereas the pre decimal (1971) £ on the other was a complete pot mess;
240 pence = £1
12p = 1 Shilling
20 shillings = £1

Under the above system 42p was expressed as 3 & 6 (3/6) 3 shillings and 6 pence!

Anyway, about that mirror........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts