Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else get this installed? I just picked up my car yesterday and was given my two remote-start fobs along with my regular key fobs. They only sorta-kinda work - there's no way to start the engine without putting it into a "timer" cycle, which is not what I want.

The remotes looked different than I expected, so I checked the website, and sure enough the picture is completely different from what I have.

This is what I have

This is what Honda shows on the website

If you've had it installed, can you tell me which fob you got? I'm trying to figure out if I need to tell the dealer that it's just not working right and needs to be fixed, or if they installed the wrong thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks like you received an after market "Remote Engine Start". That will be between you and your dealer. You need to be specific when acquiring one. I want "A Genuine Honda Remote Engine Start"......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the Honda Remote Starter II installed today. A bit disappointed I only received one FOB and the engine shuts off when the door is unlocked due to the push start. Did receive the 36 month/30,000 mile coverage on the starter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Has anyone had the OEM remote starter installed by their dealer? How much did it cost complete?

Has anyone installed the OEM remote starter by themselves? How did it go?

·
Registered
26 Posts
We had requested one when we purchased our EX-L and had to be back ordered. Four days later the salesman called to say it was in. The price was about $870 plus our 15% tax.
Strangely, I had been reading this forum for sometime prior to buying and had read that the price to sync two remotes was the same as one. I guess I got a little confused and when I dropped my car off I had both keyless fobs with me. When I picked up my car at 4:00 pm there was a remote starter on each one.
I guess the mechanic must have thought I had bought the extra remote. I didn't think much about it until I started to read the manual and realized the error.
As a side note, has anyone found a decent case for their keyless entry fob or the remote starter fob? They are starting to get scratched from being in my pocket.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
We had requested one when we purchased our EX-L and had to be back ordered. Four days later the salesman called to say it was in. The price was about $870 plus our 15% tax.
Strangely, I had been reading this forum for sometime prior to buying and had read that the price to sync two remotes was the same as one. I guess I got a little confused and when I dropped my car off I had both keyless fobs with me. When I picked up my car at 4:00 pm there was a remote starter on each one.
I guess the mechanic must have thought I had bought the extra remote. I didn't think much about it until I started to read the manual and realized the error.
As a side note, has anyone found a decent case for their keyless entry fob or the remote starter fob? They are starting to get scratched from being in my pocket.
http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/649-college-hills-honda/12450-key-fob-cover.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Rem...Red-/111448986457?hash=item19f2e09359&vxp=mtr

Actually I was thinking something along these lines in terms for the smart key, but this one apparently is sized for three and not four buttons. So, has anyone bought one or anything like this and found that it fits?
I haven't seen a case for the OEM remote starter. I am finding that the screen is getting scratched from items in my pocket.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had an aftermarket one installed for $280.00. Yes its a second fob but it's tiny. The engine does shut off when you open the door, I don't think there's a way around that. The dealer wanted over 600.00 for the same thing so no thank you there... Think I did good price wise and it works great other than the annoying open door thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did anyone else get this installed? I just picked up my car yesterday and was given my two remote-start fobs along with my regular key fobs. They only sorta-kinda work - there's no way to start the engine without putting it into a "timer" cycle, which is not what I want.

The remotes looked different than I expected, so I checked the website, and sure enough the picture is completely different from what I have.

This is what I have

This is what Honda shows on the website

If you've had it installed, can you tell me which fob you got? I'm trying to figure out if I need to tell the dealer that it's just not working right and needs to be fixed, or if they installed the wrong thing.
that looks like an aftermarket remote

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a remote start installed in my Juke which is push button start from Best Buy . Cost me $190, it uses my stock keys (push the lock button 3 times) and doesn't shut the engine off when opening the door.

So it has to be the same thing for this car which I plan on buying for my wife for Christmas. All they do is bypass the necessity of the break being pressed to start the engine.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had a remote start installed in my Juke which is push button start from Best Buy . Cost me $190, it uses my stock keys (push the lock button 3 times) and doesn't shut the engine off when opening the door.

So it has to be the same thing for this car which I plan on buying for my wife for Christmas. All they do is bypass the necessity of the break being pressed to start the engine.
Do you recall what brand Best Buy installed ... or have any additional info? Thanx.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Something like this will integrate with OEM keyfob nicely. Only issue with these type of system is the range. It will have exactly same range as OEM keyfob.

http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/honda/hr-v/2016-push-to-start/
OEM remote's range is sufficient for our purposes ... and I particularly like the ability to open the door w/out shutting off the engine.

The installation looks a bit daunting ... I would probably need a professional.

·
Registered
134 Posts
OEM remote's range is sufficient for our purposes ... and I particularly like the ability to open the door w/out shutting off the engine.

The installation looks a bit daunting ... I would probably need a professional.
Even this system will shut down the vehicle when door is opened...

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Even this system will shut down the vehicle when door is opened...
Thank you ... Looks like I'll need a professional installer ...

Best Buy offers the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you ... Looks like I'll need a professional installer ...

Best Buy offers the best bang for the buck?
If you need the car to be running when door is open, I think you need a complete starter system (additional keyfob) not the bypass module system (integrated with OEM keyfob). You can't go wrong with Best Buy as they would have nation wide service in case of issue out of town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called Best Buy to ask about getting the same thing installed in my wife's HRV as they installed in my Juke. He told me that with Japanese vehicles they tend to turn off when opening the drivers door. I explained that's not the case with my Nissan. He asked if they installed it and I told him they had. He seemed surprised, so clearly I'm talking to the wrong guy. I'm going to call another Best Buy near my house to see if they have any solutions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I called Best Buy to ask about getting the same thing installed in my wife's HRV as they installed in my Juke. He told me that with Japanese vehicles they tend to turn off when opening the drivers door. I explained that's not the case with my Nissan. He asked if they installed it and I told him they had. He seemed surprised, so clearly I'm talking to the wrong guy. I'm going to call another Best Buy near my house to see if they have any solutions.
It might be depending on the car manufacturer. I quickly checked the Fortin bypass module for Nissan and the instruction does not say anything about shutting off the engine when the door is opened.

http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/nissan/juke/2013-push-to-start/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts