Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to install one of those leather (probably) sew on steering wheel covers on my 2021 EX last year and failed miserably, mostly because I couldn't tuck the leather under the controls. Since I absolutely hate the thin plastic wheel, I'd like to try again. I'd like to either remove the controls or at least loosen them up to install the wrap/cover.

Can this be done w/o removing the steering wheel from the car? If so, how? I just need a couple mils of clearance.

TIA

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just purchased a used leather wrapped wheel on eBay. I'm sure I'm going to have to swap out the controls (although it appears it comes w/some of them). I've searched on the forum, Google and YouTube to see how to remove the steering wheel controls and have come up empty. I know it's been suggested I purchase a new center bolt and (2) new air bag bolts but I don't know how to swap out the actual controls.

Any help/links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX AWD-CVT | 19” Accord Sport wheels | Dasaita head unit | 15% Tints All Around
48 Posts

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,376 Posts
Have you thought about a slip over style steering wheel cover?

I am supposed to have a leather steering wheel on my vehicle, however, it does not feel like, or look like it is leather. I also find it very skinny compared to my previous vehicles leather steering wheel. I purchased a leather cover with blue piping off Amazon for around £15 and am pretty happy with it.

The advantage the slip over steering wheel cover has if you ever take it the dealer or garage and the mechanic gets dirt on it, you can just take it off to the clean steering wheel underneath. I use a leather cleaner, and leather balm on both the cover and the wheel when cleaning the interior.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
691 Posts
I too purchased a near new 2019 HRV EXL leather steering wheel several years ago but have never gotten around to installing it.
The rubber/urethane base HRV steering wheel is lame.

I will have to swap the control buttons and CVT paddles around whenever I install the EXL steering wheel on our LX steering wheel.

This thread (1st post) has some info on swapping steering wheels and the related assemblies.
There is not much info in the HRV service manual on this procedure.

Reactions: MONK

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rhonda and Calgary---Outstanding! Thank you!

Hadley---I had one of those on a previous vehicle and hated it. Good suggestion but just not for me.

New(ish) wheel should be here Monday and the replacement bolts should be here the following Monday. Slightly nervous as this is my only vehicle but I don't go anywhere really (at least during the week) so I'm hoping a few hours on a Sunday afternoon should do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rec'd this today. Hope it works. I know I'll need to swap out my controls as I have more controls on the lower right and the upper right is different. Tag says it came out of a 2018 so I hope it's compatible w/my 2021.

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Alloy wheel
Bicycle part Rim Steering part Automotive lighting Spoke
Font Material property Label Brand Electric blue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts