Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to change the speakers that come with the car for better sound? Or does anyone have any experience with crutchfield.com?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes. I did. Super easy but here is the deal:

If you have the 6 speaker system, the tweeters are in the dash. The door speakers are component. That's a huge deal because I bought my speakers from Crutchfield. Except, they recommended coaxial speakers and they were absolutely horrible. No bass at all.

Crutchfield recommends what fits, not what you should use. you need a component package with 2 tweeters and 4 component. DO NOT BUY COAXIL SPEAKERS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, I wasn't sure if I should just go with what they recommend but I definitely won't. Which ones did you end up getting from their homepage?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Some $40 kenwoods.

I put the old ones back in the same day.
Sounds like we need some real speaker techies in here. e.g., How many ohms were the originals vs. your replacements, etc.?
But Crutchfield should have done all this ... and not sold you speakers that sounded worse! :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've had both good and bad advice from Crutchfield........seems to all depend on the sales guy you talk to.
Some know their stuff and others, well, not so much.

At least on the EX the front speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers......so impedance is important is replacing them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've had both good and bad advice from Crutchfield........seems to all depend on the sales guy you talk to.
Some know their stuff and others, well, not so much.

At least on the EX the front speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers......so impedance is important is replacing them.

--- SNIP ---
Hmmm, is that a generic diagram or does someone have a Workshop Manual?
Regardless, thank you :)
P.S. Am I too ignorant to read the impedance off the schematic, i.e., no omegas :nerd:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hmmm, is that a generic diagram or does someone have a Workshop Manual?
Regardless, thank you :)
P.S. Am I too ignorant to read the impedance off the schematic, i.e., no omegas :nerd:
That is part of the schematic for the HRV EX radio diagram.....
Direct from Honda Service Express.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

$10 for 24-hours and you can download to your hearts content.
I downloaded a ton of schematics and procedures.

Came in handy mighty when I needed the wiring diagram for the speakers when I added a sub-woofer.........
Also used procedures & diagrams on how to remove the dash panels.

Example.......

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is part of the schematic for the HRV EX radio diagram.....
Direct from Honda Service Express.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

$10 for 24-hours and you can download to your hearts content.
I downloaded a ton of schematics and procedures.

Came in handy mighty when I needed the wiring diagram for the speakers when I added a sub-woofer.........
Also used procedures & diagrams on how to remove the dash panels.

Example.......

--- SNIP ---
Great info ... thank you!

$!0 for 24 hrs sounds cheap ... especially if they've a fast server and you've a fast modem ... I can forsee a few marathon download sessions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LX is Super Easy to Replace Speakers

I have the LX Model which only has the 4 door speakers and it is super super easy to change them out. Basically you need the speaker adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-7800-Connector-Harnesses-Vehicles/dp/B0002BEPJY
Saves from cutting wires or soldering

The speaker bracket adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SAHC634-Speaker-Adapter-Speakers/dp/B000NWCIE6/ref=pd_sim_422_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZKA7GQTDFDPC28C9GE0

And of course good new speakers.... I went with these as I want the fullest sound possible and Pioneer has never let me down, 4-ways: :D

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1685R-Car-Speaker-Voies/dp/B00A0LYU2S/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1439954345&sr=1-3&keywords=4+way+pioneer

These sound great and just need a little break in time to get the cone moving with some decent bass...

Would like to try to put in a new head unit (android auto or carplay) and subwoofer but can't find a solution to try to retain backup camera functionality... basically I would have to experiment on it and my wife would kill me messing around with our new car... >:D

Someone will figure it out... its only a matter of time otherwise I'm happy with the results currently... all you have to do is remove the door liners which is fairly easy and straight forward (bunch of clips, 1 to 3 screws)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ended up ordering a pair of those speakers. They'll be arriving today. The back speakers are horrible, so I'm going to try replacing them first. Depending on how it sounds, I might end up ordering another pair :) Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know! Those back speakers are seriously horrible. Did you have to drill any holes or any other changes for the speaker adapter?
I don't want to mess around with it too much, as my wife would kill me like yours! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
No everything remains fairly stock... I will say you need to have some extra door panels clips if needed on hand in case any break when taking off the panels... also, I had to bend a little part of the speakers themself because with the Scosche bracket the 4-way speakers eclipse over the screw hole slightly... Just take a pair of pliers or a hammer... Other than that it is straight forward... no wires to cut, nothing that alters the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honda introduced this at the Auto Show in Indonesia (reported by Paul Tan):
GIIAS 2015: Honda HR-V Special Edition JBL Audio

Honda rolled out a special edition HR-V at the Gaikindo Indonesia International Motor Show (GIIAS) 2015.
Now available for the Indonesian market, the Honda HR-V 1.8L E CVT Special Edition JBL Audio, to give it its full name, is for those with more discerning ears. As its name suggests, this SUV comes with JBL-tuned audio and speakers.

The touch screen head unit is from Kenwood, but there’s now a six-channel amplifier with built in digital sound processor. There’s also a special equaliser menu called “Fine Tuned”, which is claimed to offer thumping bass and maximum sound clarity.

http://paultan.org/2015/08/20/giias-2015-honda-hr-v-special-edition-jbl-audio/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just thought I'd jump in here....

If you're replacing JUST the stock speakers and keeping everything else the same, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Aftermarket speakers MAY sound better. Or they may sound worse. This is because the stock receiver really isn't putting out much power to the stock speakers...about 15W RMS per channel at the most. The wattage numbers that Honda quotes like "160 WATT 4 speaker blah blah....." are meaningless. The stock speakers are designed to be above all efficient with the relatively little power they're getting. So if Honda were to publish specs for the stock speakers it would look something like:

Power handling: 1-15W RMS
Sensitivity: 92db

With this in mind, if you install a speaker that is designed to be driven by 60W RMS but are only giving it 15W, it will not sound it's best. And there's a good chance a less expensive speaker with a lower power handling requirement would actually sound better. Simply because the speaker can better play to it's full potential. This is a somewhat generalized example, but in many cases I've found it to hold true.

2. You CAN install component front speakers (separate woofers & tweeters). Even if you have an LX there are empty grills in the dash for the tweeters. You would follow the same installation for the door woofers as mentioned before, but then you'd just need to run the tweeter wire down the dashboard, behind the kickpanel, through the rubber door boot and connect it to the woofer. I cannot stress enough the benefits of not having the tweeters at your feet. Imaging will improve dramatically. Also, the woofer will sound better since the cone doesn't have a hole in the middle for a tweeter. It really doesn't make the install much harder.

Overall I'd recommend something like this for the fronts if you're powering them by the factory head unit:
http://amzn.com/B008NBXQ3G

Rears:
http://amzn.com/B00BF6HWAO

Why these? Lower power handling requirement. Higher sensitivity so you won't lose volume. No separate crossover like other component speakers to help simplify installation.

More info here: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/speakers.html?c=3

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm thinking about getting those speakers for my LX. The front set does not include a separate crossover network. Any disadvantage to this setup?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is a passive crossover, just not an external one. It's built into the woofer, just like a two-way speaker would be. For this application I think its an advantage not having an external passive crossover because it's just one more thing to install. Plus, external passive crossover setups are typically geared toward higher wattage applications since the external crossovers suck up a bit more power than the smaller built in ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got kickers from crutchfield which are designed to work with low wattage factory amps. I replaced all 4 and the difference is amazing. Its louder, you can hear each instrument (you probably didn't notice with the stock ones) and they were cheap and easy to install. with that said, they are not going to give you great bass. Need a subwoofer with them for it to sound really good. I went with an underseat soundstream usb-8a

1 - 20 of 46 Posts