Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Replaced all 4 door speakers in my 2016 LX today. I have done a few stereo upgrades in the past and the HR-V is not too hard to work on at all. Got the Kicker 43DSC6704 speakers from Crutchfield and they came with adapter plates, harness adapters, and HR-V specific instructions with lots of pictures. :D The instructions tell you to trim the back of the speaker grills, some say this is not really needed. The stock speaker frame protrudes 19mm and the adapter plate with the Kicker installed sticks out 25mm. There is a ridge on the back of the door panel speaker grill that presses into the foam edge of the stock speaker frame, I trimmed about 5mm off. The material is very thin so it cut easily with a sharp razor knife.

The result, much crisper highs and clear and punchy mids. The stock speakers had a bit more bass but they sounded "muddy". Overall sound quality is better and the bass may improve a bit as they "break in", I'm not into overly thumpy base and am happy with the install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys I'm really confused and need help. I have the '16 EX with the 180W 6 speaker system.
I just bought JBLs and (for now) want to keep the stock amp. But I'm confused with the wiring which nobody addressed.
I'm under the impression the 6 speaker system has an active crossover (tweeters go straight to the amp). I havent opened the car yet but Can I just plug the speakers into the respective cables? (tweeter and woofer w/ no crossover)?
Or do I really need to use the crossover that was included with the component speakers I bought? How would I wire the crossover if so?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Guys I'm really confused and need help. I have the '16 EX with the 180W 6 speaker system.
I just bought JBLs and (for now) want to keep the stock amp. But I'm confused with the wiring which nobody addressed.
I'm under the impression the 6 speaker system has an active crossover (tweeters go straight to the amp). I havent opened the car yet but Can I just plug the speakers into the respective cables? (tweeter and woofer w/ no crossover)?
Or do I really need to use the crossover that was included with the component speakers I bought? How would I wire the crossover if so?

You should be able to just wire to the existing 2 tweeter wires - they are paralleled off the front door wiring - and i woudl keep the aftermarket crossover - the factory tweeter has one built into it, so removal of that tweeter removes the crossover too. the head unit is not sophisticated enough for separate channels.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts