Honda HR-V Forum banner

Replacing backup lights with LEDs

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Hadleys Taxi 
#1 ·
Bought the LEDs but not sure how to remove the backup lights. I removed 2 nuts but it's not coming out easily and don't want to force it. Anyone know how to replace these?

#3 · (Edited)
"no tools required" I think you can watch a video at the collegehillshonda web site. The lenses are spring loaded toward the inboard side. You gently push and then lift up on the oppisite side.

Sorry about that. The above is for replacing the license plate lights!!

There are two small square access panels right behind the lamp sockets on the rear hatch trim panel. They will easily pop out with a small pry tool.

#4 ·
To replace the backup lights, pry loose two rectangular panels on the inside cover of the hatch.

I tried LED replacements, and although they seemed brighter because they were whiter, when I had one incandescent and one LED, the OEM incandescent bulb provided better rear illumination, hands down. I'm not saying that there are not better ones available, but my experience was not worth the effort.

#7 ·
Just to avoid any confusion, and to prevent anyone from potentially damaging the rear hatch, if you are intending to replace your reversing lights with LEDs or halogen bulbs, please watch this video from approximately 8:30 onwards.

I used this video in combination with the owners manual and a billy big bag of trim removal tools when upgrading my reversing lights from halogen to LED. One of the halogen bulbs was an absolute pig to remove and as I would have to remove the bloody things as and when the halogen burnt out anyway I had to get a bit medieval with a Gerber* multi tool.

As for the LED upgrade not making a difference over halogen, then you either have the incorrect or faulty LEDs, or you have installed them incorrectly.

This is my vehicle after the upgrade. Apologies for the shaky camerawork, but it's kind of awkward to hold your mobile steady whilst taking a manual car out of reverse!:D

Please note, when approaching the rear of the vehicle, the camera sensor makes the LEDs look brighter than they really are. It only really dazzles when you are right up behind it. If I thought they would blind drivers from behind I would have no hesitation in removing them, as was the case with the rear LED indicators - the fronts are still in place.

* Other brands of multi tool are available!

Regards,

HT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.