Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

There have been some issues that come up with the start button, which generate a keyless entry system fault on the dashboard display. To replace yours yourself, here's what you need:

Button 35881-T4N-702 (found online, for about $150)
Then, you'll need one of the "trim tools" that radio installers and others use, I found this one to be useful:

Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr

Then, disconnect the negative battery terminal wires (10mm wrench needed):
Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr\

Now use the tool to insert between the start button panel and the lower dash panel to start to 'pry' it away from the dash. There are 4 clips, slowly work your way around the panel using the tool until you can grasp it and (gently) pull it free (you can see several of the white clips that hold it in place in the photo).

Now, detach the wire to the button, it also clips in. Here's a full shot of the panel backside showing all 4 clips that need to be nudged up and away from the dash.

Now, the old button is, again, just clipped to the panel. So, push those retaining plastic pieces back toward the button and slide it out:

Now, put the new one in (it only fits one way, it is keyed by a groove), and repeat the above in reverse. If all goes well, it takes less than 10 min.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is an excellent tutorial!

I bought the Honda Start Button 35881-T4N-702 on eBay for a total of $142.62 (price included shipping).

It took me about 30 minutes to the job from start to finish. Since I've never removed a panel before, I took my time, going real slow because I didn't want to accidentally break anything by being too forceful.

Thanks especially for the pictures -- they are essential for reference because the panel that I removed didn't look like the one in the photo. After careful observation, I saw that there was an additional panel below the target panel that's also clipped to it, so I just separated it, popped in back in and continued working.

Thank so much for this -- I saved some money!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent info. I’m about to order the start button but I have a question.
Did you need to reprogram the key fobs too?
Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent info. I’m about to order the start button but I have a question.
Did you need to reprogram the key fobs too?
Thank you for any help!
No, it should just plug right in and start right up. Apparently the start button is just generic. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it should just plug right in and start right up. Apparently the start button is just generic. Good luck!
Sorry - I answered the wrong question - I don’t think you should have to reprogram anything (neither start button nor key fobs) should be good to go

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome post! Been having the yellow indicator randomly turning on when starting the car for over a year. Found this post and followed it to the letter, and now no more indicator light! Thanks!

PS: I bought the start/stop button at HondaPartsDirect.com for about $150 total (including 2 day shipping). Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
I received and installed the new button today. You can see my post with the pictures here.

Thanks for this writeup and the pictures, r67northern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue everyone was else was reporting. Went to Honda dealership where they were adamant about putting the car on the diagnostic scan (for $150) to find out what was wrong… estimating that it will cost about $500 to repair. i drove off in a hurry and searched the web. I found this forum, saw that it was a faulty button, ordered a replacement from AlIExpress, and changed the button in less than three minutes! It works like a dream, saved me a load of money, and it was super easy!

Thanks for the tutorial and photos!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All,

There have been some issues that come up with the start button, which generate a keyless entry system fault on the dashboard display. To replace yours yourself, here's what you need:

Button 35881-T4N-702 (found online, for about $150)
Then, you'll need one of the "trim tools" that radio installers and others use, I found this one to be useful:

Then, disconnect the negative battery terminal wires (10mm wrench needed):
Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr\

Now use the tool to insert between the start button panel and the lower dash panel to start to 'pry' it away from the dash. There are 4 clips, slowly work your way around the panel using the tool until you can grasp it and (gently) pull it free (you can see several of the white clips that hold it in place in the photo).

Now, detach the wire to the button, it also clips in. Here's a full shot of the panel backside showing all 4 clips that need to be nudged up and away from the dash.

Now, the old button is, again, just clipped to the panel. So, push those retaining plastic pieces back toward the button and slide it out:

Now, put the new one in (it only fits one way, it is keyed by a groove), and repeat the above in reverse. If all goes well, it takes less than 10 min.

Good luck!
Done and done! Hopefully that little yellow light doesn't light for awhile.
$25US from China with shipping.
Thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you r67northern.

I wasn't sure the replacements were the same as my model. Even the Honda on line didnt recognise my vin and there was no option for a 2015 model. I decided to try the removal and contact clean suggested and did so with success. Didn't need a new switch (at this stage anyway). A million thanks for the photos. The dealer had quoted AU$500 for the switch alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very helpful thread. I'm about to do this now since i've started having this issue. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very helpful thread. I'm about to do this now since i've started having this issue. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Save your money. Buy a can of WD40 contact cleaner. I prized my panel out with a flat knife and fingers Carefully. Follow instructions in these posts. Easy job. Sprayed mine months ago and no problems since. I did purchase another switch cheaply by following the links. It’s Chinese, but identical with the same numbers and same quality. Funny the original is also Chinese. It’s been in the glove box ever since.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
410 Posts
You don't have to pry it out with any tool. The panel the button is stuck to, pops right out (pull from below).

Once you pop out that panel, you should be able to see and unplug the button from the wiring.

And now that it's no longer attached to the dash, you can see where to press to pop it off the panel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The panel that the starter fits into is held in place by four push in plugs (one in each corner) That is the part I was referring to. The starter button then can be rotated out. It can only go back in one way. Good luck with it but it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Save your money. Buy a can of WD40 contact cleaner. I prized my panel out with a flat knife and fingers Carefully. Follow instructions in these posts. Easy job. Sprayed mine months ago and no problems since. I did purchase another switch cheaply by following the links. It’s Chinese, but identical with the same numbers and same quality. Funny the original is also Chinese. It’s been in the glove box ever since.
I changed it. It was $25 so I didn't think about the cost too much. Changed it, took no more than 10 mins. No more problems. Starts and stops with one push everytime since. It has been only a few days so we'll see.
However, the indicator light is still on. Is that normal??

Also, after removing my negative terminal battery and replacing this, the battery seems to be losing charge easily. I wake up in the morning and it's close to dying. Takes the car a few turns to start. Any ideas why?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts