Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

There have been some issues that come up with the start button, which generate a keyless entry system fault on the dashboard display. To replace yours yourself, here's what you need:

Button 35881-T4N-702 (found online, for about $150)
Then, you'll need one of the "trim tools" that radio installers and others use, I found this one to be useful:

Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr

Then, disconnect the negative battery terminal wires (10mm wrench needed):
Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr\

Now use the tool to insert between the start button panel and the lower dash panel to start to 'pry' it away from the dash. There are 4 clips, slowly work your way around the panel using the tool until you can grasp it and (gently) pull it free (you can see several of the white clips that hold it in place in the photo).

Now, detach the wire to the button, it also clips in. Here's a full shot of the panel backside showing all 4 clips that need to be nudged up and away from the dash.

Now, the old button is, again, just clipped to the panel. So, push those retaining plastic pieces back toward the button and slide it out:

Now, put the new one in (it only fits one way, it is keyed by a groove), and repeat the above in reverse. If all goes well, it takes less than 10 min.

Good luck!
Awesome tutorial!! Literally took less than 5 minutes!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Geez 150$! Many people have had this problem. Honda really should fix this. I have seen other places that just cleaning the contacts on the button works to fix this issue and remove the indicator light from the dash. Im gonna do that before buying a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda HR-V from Romania and I had the same problem. Thanks for the instructions. After I've cleaned the pins with a cleaner the error message is gone.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There were several options, I used this one because they were based in New Jersey which isn't too far from where I am. Knock on wood, but no issues so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

There have been some issues that come up with the start button, which generate a keyless entry system fault on the dashboard display. To replace yours yourself, here's what you need:

Button 35881-T4N-702 (found online, for about $150)
Then, you'll need one of the "trim tools" that radio installers and others use, I found this one to be useful:

Then, disconnect the negative battery terminal wires (10mm wrench needed):
Start button replace HRV by Lineswest, on Flickr\

Now use the tool to insert between the start button panel and the lower dash panel to start to 'pry' it away from the dash. There are 4 clips, slowly work your way around the panel using the tool until you can grasp it and (gently) pull it free (you can see several of the white clips that hold it in place in the photo).

Now, detach the wire to the button, it also clips in. Here's a full shot of the panel backside showing all 4 clips that need to be nudged up and away from the dash.

Now, the old button is, again, just clipped to the panel. So, push those retaining plastic pieces back toward the button and slide it out:

Now, put the new one in (it only fits one way, it is keyed by a groove), and repeat the above in reverse. If all goes well, it takes less than 10 min.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for this feature. Bought the part on Amazon for under forty bucks followed your instructions and was done in 10 minutes saved 260 bucks from the dealer price. The nylon dash tool was helpful at 7 dollars.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've been seeing the indicator light on for a few months but was just ignoring it. This was probably a 5 minute fix... Used some cell phone dissection tools to remove the panel, a $7 tube of permatex dielectric grease that will last a lifetime, and some CRC electric cleaner I had from another project

Dash light went away, and knowing how easy that was even if I had to replace the button I know it's not a huge deal. Thanks for the instructions!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting this tutorial, it was extremely helpful. I went to a honda dealership and they quoted me $755 to replace the start/stop engine switch. Thankfully, I saw this discussion and decided to do it myself. I ordered the new switch on Amazon for $38. Looks like OEM Honda branded switch.

Took me 15 minutes to complete and saved a ton of money. Car is working perfectly now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've made a video about how to COMPLETELY clean the contacts in this switch.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts