Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Part of the problem is that the backup lights are relatively high (on the same plane as the H logo). Getting to the turn signal/brake lights is very easy, but the backup bulbs are under a hatch, and require working at an awkward angle, whether you are outside the car with the hatch up, or inside with the hatch closed. It's not of enough interest to me to bother.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
LED replacement bulbs can help this out.
There is a thread under HR-V Photos and Videos with suggestions on best bulb replacement options.
I'm an Amazon reviewer, and recently received two different LEDs for review:

LLCJ 2PCS Super Bright White
LLCJ 2 x Super Bright Warm White

To test, I placed an LED on one side, leaving the OEM incandescent on the other. Neither provided as much useful illumination as the OEM incandescent bulb. The super bright white bulb was indeed much whiter (probably around 6000K), and appeared brighter, but when I looked behind the car, rather than at the lights, the OEM bulb illuminated more, with a much more defined shadow. The super bright warm was almost yellow, with an unpleasant greenish tinge.

I suspect that a design such as the JDM ASTAR, which has a focused lens, might throw more light to the rear.

Has anybody found a 921/T10 LED replacement that throws noticeably more light to the rear than the OEM incandescents? I don't feel like doing more experiments.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought the Aaron T10 50W replacement LEDs from Amazon. Cost about $24 for 2 lights. Each bulb consists of 10 LEDs - 8 radial and 2 facing out to a focused lens. I tried one of these in one socket and the stock bulb in the other socket. On a dark night standing behind the car (engine not running) I covered first one and then the other light. The LED was significantly brighter and as expected, much whiter in color than the stock incandescent bulb. Looking at the rear of the car the reverse light seemed almost as bright as a headlight. Beam spread was excellent with the ground brightly illuminated at least 20 feet behind the car.

I bought 4 of these - two for my HR-V and two for my Pilot. One of the bulbs was defective and I sent an email to the Aaron company. Within 10 minutes I received a reply and the same day my Amazon account was credited for a full refund (even though only one of the two bulbs was defective). I just placed another order so I will have one spare and will probably use it in the high mount stoplight in the Pilot. Great customer service!

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had my JDM Astar backup lights for over a year now and they're still going strong. They're 50W as well and look a lot like the ones you ordered. They're probably the same ones with a different brand.
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ex...92409242&sr=8-1&keywords=JDM+Astar+T10+BACKUP
It was between the Diode Dynamics and the JDM Astar's. Any review I saw about the Diode ones spoke very highly of the quality and light output. Plus they have a 3 year warranty with no fees versus JDM Astar's 1 year. I'm excited!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I concur fully; reversed mine into a garden water feature day one due to the poor reversing lighting (couldn't see jack with the camera either) and smashed one of the reflectors; will definitely be putting brighter bulbs in if its possible..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the reversing light are absolute crap - cant see my driveway when reversing in. Dealer not sympathetic to my problem. Would love to hear a reply from Honda on this. There needs to be a reversing lights in the bumper bar, just have not come up with the right one yet. I think 2 little round led"s about reflector height would do the job. Have spoken to an auto electrician & he said it is not the old incandescent globes, the technology is somewhat different.
Any thoughts from owners would be appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Any thoughts from owners would be appreciated.
It's not the solution for everyone, but something like this actually solved the reverse bulb light problem for me.

I know bright license plate lights aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they focus light directly behind (and, most importantly, down) the HRV. I can easily see what's directly behind me which sounds like what you're going for by trying to install bumper-level lights.

I also have led reverse lights, which are fine for filling the gap past the license plate lights, but they just don't have as noticeable of an effect as the led license plates lights, specifically the type in the link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Philips 921 White Vision Back-up Bulbs, about $20 for 2, are awesome. It produces bright white light that definitely helps out the back-up camera at night.
Hello fellow HRV colleagues :)

I would like to also replace the reverse light bulbs with LEDs. I think the stock are basically non-existent but I am now a little confused. The Philips bulbs quoted above are marked as T16s. Other colleagues in this thread quoted T10s and from my personal search I believe I should replace with T15s. So what is it after all? :|:|:| Note, mine is a European model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it just my failing eyesight or do the backup lights seem dim or small. I live in a rural area and when it is dark it is hard to rely on the backup camera for guidance. The side mirrors are not much better because of the small back up lights on my 2019 HR V are quite dim/small. Any suggestions? Are the backup lights just normal bulbs?

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
I upgraded the reversing lights from halogen to LED:

The only light output once my security light switches off comes from the two reversing light LED's. Despite what it looks like, the reversing lights do not dazzle or blind anyone behind unless they are sitting on my bumper!

If you do decide to go down the LED route I would strongly recommend investing in a multiple set of trim removal tools, I required to use 2 or three to jimmy one of the plastic covers off. I also required the use of a Gerber multitool to release one of the halogen bulbs from its holder as it had 'seized' on. It was no biggie to do as I would have had to do it as and when the halogen bulb failed, and at least on this occasion I had the luxury of time and the benefit of doing it under my carport rather than somewhere remote and dreich.

Go to 8:30 on the following video to see how it is done:

HTH

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
532 Posts
The backup lights in most Honda products is lacking. One of the first mods for most of my cars has been to upgrade all possible bulbs to led. The back up camera on Hondas are also not good. If you compare it to a Volvo which is like 4k oled hd like. My current lexus has a vastly better back up camera but doesn’t quite reach Volvo territory.

I still own 2 Honda’s. But this is an area where they can’t compete with some other cars...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just replaced my license plate lights with LED, it was enough of an upgrade for the reverse camera and minimal time to install. Better reverse lights would be better I'm sure, but this is good enough

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts