Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it just my failing eyesight or do the backup lights seem dim or small. I live in a rural area and when it is dark it is hard to rely on the backup camera for guidance. The side mirrors are not much better because of the small back up lights on my 2019 HR V are quite dim/small. Any suggestions? Are the backup lights just normal bulbs?
i Use the back up camera which is more than sufficient as long as the camera lense is kept clean. How much time does a person spend backing up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, the backup camera on the HR-V EX is pathetic. I agree with most in that the rear backup light housing is very poorly designed and way too small. I've converted all of my lighting to LED, and I had hoped it would improve the backup camera but it hasn't helped at all. The backup camera is great during the day, but virtually worthless at night time.

Having said that, I plan on getting a pair of LED fog lamps and installing them on the inside of the rear window to see whether that will help with the rear camera visibility.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
625 Posts
For myself, the back up camera was quite terrible, until I changed the bulb. I wouldn't say it's amazing now, but it is useful... when clean (like Hawgryder said).

Most of my driving is in the dark of the evening and I usually end up getting home around 10 pm or so, just to back up the entire length of my driveway. Between the fact the area is dark due to lack of street lighting for smaller streets (stupid village policy), my driveway turning to get around a fire hydrant and the fact it's not much wider than the HR-V... the camera serves its purpose quite well now.

Did you perhaps get an LED that wasn't focusing as much of its light straight out, but spread it more? I've seen some LEDs that are designed to only use the reflector of the housing to properly spread the light. While there are other LEDs that almost entirely avoids the reflectors.

·
Registered
HRV LX
7 Posts
Is it just my failing eyesight or do the backup lights seem dim or small. I live in a rural area and when it is dark it is hard to rely on the backup camera for guidance. The side mirrors are not much better because of the small back up lights on my 2019 HR V are quite dim/small. Any suggestions? Are the backup lights just normal bulbs?
I installed led bulbs solved the problem. Be careful you don't brake no clips. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My owners manual says the reverse bulb is a 16w incandescent.

Just to confirm is the reverse bulb a wedge type bulb knows as W16W also known as T15 and also known as #921 (source: Wikipedia).

Plan to change the reverse incandescent to a LED type.

Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I upgraded the reversing lights from halogen to LED:

The only light output once my security light switches off comes from the two reversing light LED's. Despite what it looks like, the reversing lights do not dazzle or blind anyone behind unless they are sitting on my bumper!

If you do decide to go down the LED route I would strongly recommend investing in a multiple set of trim removal tools, I required to use 2 or three to jimmy one of the plastic covers off. I also required the use of a Gerber multitool to release one of the halogen bulbs from its holder as it had 'seized' on. It was no biggie to do as I would have had to do it as and when the halogen bulb failed, and at least on this occasion I had the luxury of time and the benefit of doing it under my carport rather than somewhere remote and dreich.

Go to 8:30 on the following video to see how it is done:

HTH

Regards,

HT
@Hadleys Taxi,
What bulbs did you get?

They look really bright in the video.

(y)

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi,
What bulbs did you get?

They look really bright in the video.

(y)
T15 W16W LED's.

They are bright, but not TOO bright. The camera on my mobile (Samsung S9) is really good for night photography, so can exagerate the lights. If I thought they were blinding drivers behind, I would have no hesitation in removing them. They have also passed the MoT Test without comment or advisories.

The LED indicator bulbs I have installed in the front I also had a set installed in the rear lamp clusters, however, they were FM blindingly bright for drivers directly behind me so I removed them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi,
Do you have a link to the particular LED bulb you used? There are tons of these bulbs and all give exaggerated claim on brightness.

Thanks
(y):coffee:
All of my LED upgrades were purchased via UK stockists. As I found out to my extreme cost when purchasing floor mats from the States, the various handling fees and taxes cost a pretty penny or two - $85.89 to be exact.

Not sure of any of the major US reputable brands, but anything from Phillips, Osram (Sylvania?) should be fine.

I think the following link is the LED's I purchased. Ensure you click on the White bulb option, not red!

This company also sell non hyperflashing indicator bulbs, which I also have installed. There is a video of them in operation on here.

·
Registered
2021 LX AWD Modern Steel Metallic
154 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi,
Great link info.

Much appreciated.
(y);)
I have followed this thread with great interest. I live in a forest, a vey dark, hilly rocky forest, with no sidewalks, and no street lights, but narrow roads and long rock lined driveways (Not complaining - I love this place). However, in order to get into my driveway I have to drive up the road past my driveway, then reverse and turn left into and back up my rock lined driveway. Errors can result in expensive bodywork (Trust me on this!). Yes, I have a great high wattage LED driveway light which does an excellent job of wiping out my rear view mirror, and camera with high intensity glare o_O. I should aso add that I installed brighter back up bulbs which were only marginally more effective. So, when I recently installed new anti hyperflash rear directional led bulbs, which are super bright, I thought - will these also light up my driveway as I back up? Yes they will, and all I have to do is hit the 4 way flasher button when I back up. 100 times per minute I get a high intensity amber light showing me the way :cool: By the way, in order to avoid antagonizing drivers behind me with my high intensity signals, I simply use the momentary 3 blink option on my directionals. Problems solved :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't want to be 'THAT guy', however, I guarantee at night, the first, let alone the second or even third flash, will have an effect on any driver directly behind you. After a few drives at night and seeing the reactions of the drivers directly behind me at traffic lights and roundabouts, I stood behind the vehicle to see if I could tolerate it at varying distances, and I basically could not. The only heads up I will give you is it may encourage drivers behind you to get as close to your vehicle as possible to block out the glare.

How do your reversing lights compare to mine as per #26 above?

As an aside, in the UK the four way flasher is referred to as the Hazard Warning Lights Button.

·
Registered
2021 LX AWD Modern Steel Metallic
154 Posts
I don't want to be 'THAT guy', however, I guarantee at night, the first, let alone the second or even third flash, will have an effect on any driver directly behind you. After a few drives at night and seeing the reactions of the drivers directly behind me at traffic lights and roundabouts, I stood behind the vehicle to see if I could tolerate it at varying distances, and I basically could not. The only heads up I will give you is it may encourage drivers behind you to get as close to your vehicle as possible to block out the glare.

How do your reversing lights compare to mine as per #26 above?

As an aside, in the UK the four way flasher is referred to as the Hazard Warning Lights Button.
The rear directional lights I returned (hyperflash) had rear facing magnified leds. They were blinding (pic#1). The replacements (pic#2) have no rear directed leds giving a brighter more uniform diffused light.
Your reversing lights (In the US, they are generally referred to as Back Up lights) :p may be a bit brighter than mine; however, those 2 postage stamp sized lights are not up to the job of lighting a 75 foot driveway. As you had previously, correctly, stated, their true purpose is to serve notice to the following driver that you are backing up / reversing. Shy of a dedicated rear facing light for this purpose, the flashers work for me (And notify the bears that I'm coming 🐻).
Light Product Font Amber Lamp

Light Product Liquid Font Kitchen appliance

21 - 33 of 33 Posts