Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pops are back fire which can burn the valves. I would get Magnaflows spun cell cat, magnaflow resonator and magnaflow muffler and find someone who does custom mandrel bent stainless exhaust piping. I think the OEM collector is 2.25 inches so I would do all of the piping in that size, not bigger. This might be a great time to look at RV-6's downpipe since any fitment issues wont be a problem with a custom exhaust *probably.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
Pops are back fire which can burn the valves. I would get Magnaflows spun cell cat, magnaflow resonator and magnaflow muffler and find someone who does custom mandrel bent stainless exhaust piping. I think the OEM collector is 2.25 inches so I would do all of the piping in that size, not bigger. This might be a great time to look at RV-6's downpipe since any fitment issues wont be a problem with a custom exhaust *probably.
Oh crap. I’ve been doing the pops on purpose because around 3k - 4k rpms, I can get on the gas and let off and it will do some pops which I though was pretty cool for a Honda. I also can’t change thr CAT unless there is something wrong with it. I’ve asked many shops and they wouldn’t do it. Also I’m on a budget as a college student so I’m not trying to pay a lot at once for everything and I don’t know if I will need a tune after doing a down pipe and full exhaust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I still think that the HRV AEM intake kit is totally overpriced, is a poor design, looks terrible and there is no proof that it actually adds any power. ie... dyno results.

As I mentioned, the factory intake system is fairly freeflowing for the small 1.8L engine and is a cold air intake.

I modified the factory intake system (removed the huge useless air intake resonator) plus bypassed the throttle body heater several months ago.
Couple of bucks for hose, not US$300 for the AEM intake!

I guarantee that these mods added ZERO power, but now the throttle body is nice and cool, much easier to service the CVT and anything on the drivers side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
I
Well I still think that the HRV AEM intake kit is totally overpriced, is a poor design, looks terrible and there is no proof that it actually adds any power. ie... dyno results.

As I mentioned, the factory intake system is fairly freeflowing for the small 1.8L engine and is a cold air intake.

I modified the factory intake system (removed the huge useless air intake resonator) plus bypassed the throttle body heater several months ago.
Couple of bucks for hose, not US$300 for the AEM intake!

I guarantee that these mods added ZERO power, but now the throttle body is nice and cool, much easier to service the CVT and anything on the drivers side of the engine bay.

It’s about $229 and I just like how it looks and I think it is still more free flowing. My i take filter is directly behind the grill so air us flowing in there directly. Also it makes a whining kind of sound which sounds amazing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No worries, we can agree to disagree... :)

You are right though.. the AEM HRV system is now cheaper than when I last checked.. Now US$225 or so versus US$285 when I last checked.

If you haven't removed the air intake resonator yet, you should. It comes out easily and is doing nothing when the AEM intake is installed.

If you look at the AEM website pictures I posted earlier in this thread, you can see that AEM foolishly left the air intake resonator still in place.
To me this is further proof of how little time AEM spent designing this air intake system.

Just my thoughts... Constructive rebuttals are welcome!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
No worries, we can agree to disagree... :)

You are right though.. the AEM HRV system is now cheaper than when I last checked.. Now US$225 or so versus US$285 when I last checked.

If you haven't removed the air intake resonator yet, you should. It comes out easily and is doing nothing when the AEM intake is installed.

If you look at the AEM website pictures I posted earlier in this thread, you can see that AEM foolishly left the air intake resonator still in place.
To me this is further proof of how little time AEM spent designing this air intake system.

Just my thoughts... Constructive rebuttals are welcome!
Can you show me where the intake resonator is located? I only removed the old intake and installed the CAI.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you show me where the intake resonator is located? I only removed the old intake and installed the CAI.
Sure thing, just click my "Winter Beater" thread above in post #23.

The air intake resonator is removed very easily. Details and a pic in that thread.
It can also be easily re-installed if you ever decide to go to stock.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions..

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
Sure thing, just click my "Winter Beater" thread above in post #23.

The air intake resonator is removed very easily. Details and a pic in that thread.
It can also be easily re-installed if you ever decide to go to stock.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions..
I looked at the thread but im blind and I still dont see it. My 2019 hrv has a little different lay out I think. Replacing my whole OEM filter didnt take out the resonator?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I looked at the thread but im blind and I still dont see it. My 2019 hrv has a little different lay out I think. Replacing my whole OEM filter didnt take out the resonator?

It is certainly possible that the 2019 HRV air resonator is different than my 2016 although perusing 2019 HRV pics the top part of the air intake system looks identical to my 2016.

2019 HRV Engine compartment: Looks identical, including the air intake assembly to my 2016 HRV.
Did yours look identical to this prior to removal?

Here is the AEM picture with my added red arrow pointing to the top opening of the air resonator:
You can see it's still installed doing nothing.

Pic of my 2016 HRV air resonator after I removed it. 2 feet wide x 16inches x 4 inches thick.
The top pipe is the top pipe you can see in the above picture. The original HRV air crossover pipe has a matching pipe on the bottom of it that slip fits into the air resonator.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
It is certainly possible that the 2019 HRV air resonator is different than my 2016 although perusing 2019 HRV pics the top part of the air intake system looks identical to my 2016.

2019 HRV Engine compartment: Looks identical, including the air intake assembly to my 2016 HRV.
Did yours look identical to this prior to removal?

Here is the AEM picture with my added red arrow pointing to the top opening of the air resonator:
You can see it's still installed doing nothing.

View attachment 30612

Pic of my 2016 HRV air resonator after I removed it. 2 feet wide x 16inches x 4 inches thick.
The top pipe is the top pipe you can see in the above picture. The original HRV air crossover pipe has a matching pipe on the bottom of it that slip fits into the air resonator.
I see it now. I never even saw that when I removed the factory intake. Doe sit block anything if I leave on?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just confirmed with the on-line parts catalog that the 2016 to 2019 HRV air intakes are identical.

Not sure how you missed it when you removed the air intake crossover tube!

Of course you should remove the air resonator and bypass the throttle body coolant heater.

Plus install a Scangauge to monitor your engine's coolant temp, voltage, intake air temps and CVT temp.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
I just confirmed with the on-line parts catalog that the 2016 to 2019 HRV air intakes are identical.

Not sure how you missed it when you removed the air intake crossover tube!

Of course you should remove the air resonator and bypass the throttle body coolant heater.

Plus install a Scangauge to monitor your engine's coolant temp, voltage, intake air temps and CVT temp.
I’m not sure how to bypass the throttle body coolant heater. And how much is a scangauge? I’m bot super mechanically inclined and I’m still learning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m not sure how to bypass the throttle body coolant heater. And how much is a scangauge? I’m bot super mechanically inclined and I’m still learning.

Read this Scangauge thread and please use the search function for this forum.

Details for the throttle body coolant bypass are in also in my "Winter beater" thread.
It's super simple and will be a good learning exercise for you. :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts

Details for the throttle body coolant bypass are in also in my "Winter beater" thread.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts

Ok. So I got the top and bottom screws off for the resonator and there is one on the bottom right somewhere. For the bottom one, I took the bottom cover off and the top one I only had the unscrew it. So for the bottom right one, do I have to take all the plate covers off?

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's been 3 or 4 months since I removed it.

Here is a pic of the air resonator, linked above, from the parts catalog:

2wd like mine, remove the lower engine cover.

From above, in the drivers side fender, to the right of the battery, you have to unbolt the horn.
The horn is hiding that 3rd bolt and the horn is in the way of removing the resonator.
Remove the 3rd bolt (furthest right hand bolt in the pic).

Then remove the 3 push pins for the felt cover at the front bottom corner of the driver's side fender.
Now the air resonator should be loose.
Wiggle the resonator, up/down, tilt it, etc, until you are able to remove it out the bottom.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
So I just have to remove the bottom covers to get access to the 3rd screw? I believe I saw the horn but I think I can loosen the screw with my wrench without having to remove the horn.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
41 Posts
I dont know why Honda made the res so big. Pain in the ass to work on driver side engine bay.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dont know why Honda made the res so big. Pain in the ass to work on driver side engine bay.
^^^Agreed, that's why I removed it.

Keep working it. Don't use force to get it out and risk damaging anything. Take your time, wiggle it out.
Once it is out, secure the bolts to it and store it in case you ever have to reinstall it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts