Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
On the contrary, it was extremely helpful. We have to be careful not to dismiss negative reviews just because we all like the HRV. CR points out several negatives about the car, while still keeping a balanced review that points out that many of us won't care about the negatives, and that the car has positives.

CR hits rear visibility, the fact that the HRV is under-powered relative to the competition, and is noisy under acceleration (though better than the Fit). And they really, really, really slam the infotainment system.

I'd call this review positive, while still pointing out the weak points. Every car has weak points. Nobody's perfect.

·
Registered
231 Posts
On the contrary, it was extremely helpful. We have to be careful not to dismiss negative reviews just because we all like the HRV. CR points out several negatives about the car, while still keeping a balanced review that points out that many of us won't care about the negatives, and that the car has positives.

CR hits rear visibility, the fact that the HRV is under-powered relative to the competition, and is noisy under acceleration (though better than the Fit). And they really, really, really slam the infotainment system.

I'd call this review positive, while still pointing out the weak points. Every car has weak points. Nobody's perfect.
I guess I had already assumed the negatives that they cited, so it wasn't news to me.

They're reviewing the AWD version (or at least that's what I gathered from their comments). I attribute the sluggishness to that.

Everyone already knows the infotainment system is crap, 'though watching it in action did make me more resolved to stick to the LX trim.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I guess I had already assumed the negatives that they cited, so it wasn't news to me.

They're reviewing the AWD version (or at least that's what I gathered from their comments). I attribute the sluggishness to that.

Everyone already knows the infotainment system is crap, 'though watching it in action did make me more resolved to stick to the LX trim.
All these reviews are making me want to stick with LX and the manual.

If you notice there is some praise for the CVT in the reviews, but it usually amounts to something like "it's not too bad"...... and it's higher mpg.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2014 CR-V LX and I like the nobs on the radio, but my daughter has a 2014 Civic EX and the touchscreen infotainment center and it's not to bad

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes. It could be a while before we see some really comprehensive stuff come along. I think CR and some other publications insist on buying one at random from a dealer to avoid being given a ringer or overly thrashed press car.
Though is doesn't seem an issue for many here,
for now I would settle for a set of performance data.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll do some checking

I had higher hopes for the Consumer Reports review. I guess this is just a preliminary review. Usually they're more thorough.
I have a membership and when I get home tonight - I'll do some looking in the member side to see if there is more info there. I'll post - if so.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good overview.

We know the engine is adequate at best. And a good reminder that back window views are easily obscured.

No one has mentioned where in the EX and up trims the extra USB port is. Photos so far are unrevealing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. It could be a while before we see some really comprehensive stuff come along. I think CR and some other publications insist on buying one at random from a dealer to avoid being given a ringer or overly thrashed press car.
Though is doesn't seem an issue for many here,
for now I would settle for a set of performance data.

You are correct in stating that the brief CR review is based on a demo car. They, like us, buy the car from the dealership anonymously. So, they won't have a thorough review until they buy a car and drive it for a month or so. They will give a review of the car at that point but they won't give a recommendation vote until receiving crash test data (and I think one year of reliability data comes in from their subscribers--but I could be wrong on this last part).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remembering that there was interest in Consumer Reports' comments on the forum, I thought people might be interested in the following review, to be published in the October 2015 issue:

Honda HR-V review
Practical. Functional. Affordable. Honda makes simplicity a virtue.
Published: August 27, 2015 06:00 AM

When Honda first arrived in America, it made a splash with its marketing campaign, “We make it simple.” The public saw basic, reliable transportation that was a good value for the money and stretched a gallon of gas. Honda has since grown considerably, and its cars have grown too, becoming more complicated and expensive. But the HR-V subcompact sport utility is a return to Honda’s roots.

For those on the “new vs. used” fence, the HR-V contains all the right stuff for practical and affordable transportation. Simple as that.

It provides all-wheel drive for inclement weather, and the promise of great fuel economy. A versatile interior with generous cargo space can carry a young family and its gear.

In a class that feels half-baked or built to hit a low price, the HR-V appears to have been developed with considerably more forethought. It’s based on the Honda Fit, a practical, fuel-efficient hatchback that delivers more utility and thrift than its peers.

By the numbers, the HR-V produces mixed results. Its 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and continuously variable transmission (CVT) returned 29 mpg overall in our tests, the best of any nonhybrid SUV and better than many compact sedans. And that’s with the added weight of the all-wheel-drive system.

But the actual driving experience is another matter. The HR-V feels underpowered, an impression exacerbated by the nature of the CVT, which keeps engine revs high as it struggles to deliver power. It took a ponderous 10.5 seconds for our AWD version to reach 60 mph.

Handling is responsive and inspires confidence when pushed to its limits in our avoidance maneuver test. But its vague steering feedback makes it devoid of any actual driving enjoyment. The ride is stiff and jumpy over ruts and potholes, and jittery on a smooth highway.

For urban drivers who focus on practicality, parking and maneuverability are a snap. The HR-V feels as if you’re driving a tall car, not a brawny SUV. But the uncomfortable ride and loud cabin make even the shortest drives a fatiguing affair. And keep a chiropractor on call: The front seats lack lumbar support. If you have a long commute, the HR-V is not your ride.

Like most subcompact crossovers, the HR-V is not intended to go off-road, except for the occasional gravel or well-groomed dirt trail.

One of its neatest magic tricks is the impressive amount of stuff it can swallow—a whole Costco run’s worth. The HR-V’s low floor and flexible rear seats offer several ways to tailor your cargo space. Fold the seats down for a surprisingly capacious cargo area. Flip up the rear-seat cushion and you can park two bikes there—standing up. Two adults can comfortably sit in back on long trips without any hip, knee, or back pain.

The controls in our LX prove that you can have simplicity without giving up connectivity. Bluetooth phone and audio streaming are standard, and the 5-inch screen clearly displays the image from the standard backup camera.

If you’re tempted to move up to the EX or EX-L trim levels—which add $2,000 to $4,000 to the tab—be warned that you’ll be saddled with a frustrating audio system. Its lack of knobs and buttons, plus unintuitive onscreen logic make even the simplest adjustments—like changing the volume—a challenge. It’s actually better to get the less expensive LX model.

Let’s be clear: The HR-V is not ideal if you require refinement and civility. But at $22,045 for an LX with all-wheel drive, it’s competitively priced, offers a ton of practicality, and has wallet-friendly fuel economy. It would make an ideal first car or just a handy urban runabout.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/08/honda-hr-v-review/index.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
"But its vague steering feedback makes it devoid of any actual driving enjoyment. The ride is stiff and jumpy over ruts and potholes, and jittery on a smooth highway."

I'm sorry, but I have had mine since July 3rd and I have not noticed this at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for the post, JSO.

Overall not a surprise except for the digs at the suspension and steering.

I would have hoped CR had reviewed the EX in depth instead of the LX just because most people have bought that model.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the 55% profile of the 215/55R17 tires has more to do with feeling the bumps than anything else. The car does seem to be quite competent in turns.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the bumps can be bad...
I would not give a second thought to uneven pavement (due to cracks, pot holes, recessed utility covers on the road) before when I drove a pickup with light truck tires LT265/75R16, but now yeah I do. I always wondered why the little cars avoided them before ... :confused: :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts