Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 HRV Sport AWD. Just completed a road trip from Albany, OR to Sacramento, CA and back. 1000 mile round trip. Car did great! Very spacious, took the awful California roads well. Gas mileage could have been better I suppose but we had to drive through mountain passes 65% of the drive. Lots of ups and downs and gunning it up hills. I think we averaged 28 or 28.5 mpg. Overall, solid trip.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda HRV sport also. Just drove a total round trip of 1200 miles to Florida and back to Kentucky. Most was on I65... It drove well. Wish headlights were a little better...Seat was not the most compy..Averaged around 32 miles per gallon. Overall it was a good trip but not as compy as my 2007 Honda Accord SE that I had before it....would I buy it again???? Not sure. I like the extra space...but I would have driven an Accord just to see if that is what I really wanted,,

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
103 Posts
What is the HRV forum best rated led upgrade kit????
There was a thread on this a couple years ago. I went with the NightEye bulbs. Good quality, nice and bright with an excellent focus. Usually under $30 a pair on Amazon.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2021 Honda HRV sport also. Just drove a total round trip of 1200 miles to Florida and back to Kentucky. Most was on I65... It drove well. Wish headlights were a little better...Seat was not the most compy..Averaged around 32 miles per gallon. Overall it was a good trip but not as compy as my 2007 Honda Accord SE that I had before it....would I buy it again???? Not sure. I like the extra space...but I would have driven an Accord just to see if that is what I really wanted,,
I haven’t driven an Accord but I can see it being a bit more comfortable and upscale due to it being a bit pricier. For what we get for the price tag I think the HRV is an excellent deal though especially if you are going to utilize its space. I agree with you regarding the halogen headlights. Brighter wouldn’t be a bad thing

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 2021 HR-V uses the same headlight bulbs as the 2018-2021 Honda Civic.
Thanks...
The 2021 HR-V uses the same headlight bulbs as the 2018-2021 Honda Civic.
I quess the thing that bugs me is why none of the major companies like Hela...Philips and Slyvania and GE dont offer kits for led conversions. I would feel a lot better with a well known name brand company...thats just my opinion...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I quess the thing that bugs me is why none of the major companies like Hela...Philips and Slyvania and GE dont offer kits for led conversions. I would feel a lot better with a well known name brand company...thats just my opinion...
If you research why its a bad idea to put LED or HID bulbs in non-projector headlight housings, you will find the reason. :)

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
103 Posts
The HRV has a projector type right??? and a lot of vehicles now use them...
Depends on the year model, and his statement isn't 100% correct either because it depends greatly on how the reflector housing is designed. Our 2018 had a reflector housing. However it was well designed so that it had a cutoff comparable to projector headlamps, and installing LED's in it wasn't an issue at all.

With most projector housings, they don't have a good focus, and you can get a lot of scatter. Installing HID or LED headlamps into these housing can cause a LOT of glare, and is especially blinding to oncoming traffic. There are some exceptions to the rule though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Depends on the year model, and his statement isn't 100% correct either because it depends greatly on how the reflector housing is designed. Our 2018 had a reflector housing. However it was well designed so that it had a cutoff comparable to projector headlamps, and installing LED's in it wasn't an issue at all.

With most projector housings, they don't have a good focus, and you can get a lot of scatter. Installing HID or LED headlamps into these housing can cause a LOT of glare, and is especially blinding to oncoming traffic. There are some exceptions to the rule though.
So would you say that a 2021 hrv would be OK and not cause uncoming glare to the other driver...??

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX AWD
103 Posts
So would you say that a 2021 hrv would be OK and not cause uncoming glare to the other driver...??
Absolutely. It has projector beam headlamps. It's actually a little bit insulting that Honda didn't put, or at least offer an upgrade of, LED or HID bulbs in it. With most manufacturers HID's would have been either default, or an option.

Reactions: rszappa1

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a used 2018. Because it’s summer I have had very little opportunity to drive at night. I’m older so I really need good lights. Do you think the 2018 has good lights or do you think I should start doing my homework for when the season changes and it starts getting dark at 5 o’clock?

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
635 Posts
Other markets offer LED's in the HR-V, however, the prices charged in those markets would make it uncompetitive in the NA market.

The starting price for the top spec EX-L in the US is around $26,220 or £18,897. You would still need to find nearly another $3000 to purchase a base spec S HR-V in the UK £21,500 or $29,800.

And if you wanted one with LED headlamps as standard (they were not offered as an option) that would set you back £23,500 or $32,600.

So, feel insulted, or feel 🤢🤮.....😈

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got a used 2018. Because it’s summer I have had very little opportunity to drive at night. I’m older so I really need good lights. Do you think the 2018 has good lights or do you think I should start doing my homework for when the season changes and it starts getting dark at 5 o’clock?
Hey I am 67 ... I just dont know much about the companies that offer the LED conversion kits...They are not companies I know like Philips Orsam GE and others. I am going to upgrade the bulb to the Philips xtreme vision bulb... I used them in my 2007 Honda Accord SE and really liked them over the stock halogen bulb..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am going to upgrade the bulb to the Philips xtreme vision bulb... I used them in my 2007 Honda Accord SE and really liked them over the stock halogen bulb..
Just be advised that, generally, you don't get something for nothing with halogen bulbs. Brighter halogen bulbs burn hotter, draw more power, and have shorter lifespans.

On a truck I owned in the past, I drove with the headlights always turned on. Since I racked on 20,000-30,000 miles a year at the time, I went through halogen bulbs pretty often. I tried every make and model of 9007 halogen bulb I could get my hands on...from bulbs from Dollar Tree (who knew they sold 9007s and for $1 each!) to boutique brands that cost over $80 a pair.

The best I found when it comes to usable light (brightness, not just color), lifespan, and cost, are the model of bulb in a brand's lineup that is the model before any rings or blue coatings are added. For Sylvania, it's the XtraVisions; for Phillips, VisionPlus; for GE, Nighthawks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just be advised that, generally, you don't get something for nothing with halogen bulbs. Brighter halogen bulbs burn hotter, draw more power, and have shorter lifespans.

On a truck I owned in the past, I drove with the headlights always turned on. Since I racked on 20,000-30,000 miles a year at the time, I went through halogen bulbs pretty often. I tried every make and model of 9007 halogen bulb I could get my hands on...from bulbs from Dollar Tree (who knew they sold 9007s and for $1 each!) to boutique brands that cost over $80 a pair.

The best I found when it comes to usable light (brightness, not just color), lifespan, and cost, are the model of bulb in a brand's lineup that is the model before any rings or blue coatings are added. For Sylvania, it's the XtraVisions; for Phillips, VisionPlus; for GE, Nighthawks.
I have been using this bulb for years and have no issues with it....now the silverstar ultra was not a good choice... they would not last...but the xtreme vision did for me and it was brighter then oem...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts