Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove one yeserday and was impressed. The dealer states optional roof rack is only available on the top trim level, which was $4700 over the base AWD model that listed around $22000. Will have to do more research into this before making a decision between the Subaru xv, and Mazda cx5

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I emailed Thule they said that testing was in progress, but to check back in 4-6 weeks. When I called I was told that they were still fitting 2015 cars and that it could be the end of summer before they have fit for this vehicle.

If I want to move my kayaks before then, I will have to buy the factory cross bars.

·
Registered
805 Posts
When I emailed Thule they said that testing was in progress, but to check back in 4-6 weeks. When I called I was told that they were still fitting 2015 cars and that it could be the end of summer before they have fit for this vehicle.

If I want to move my kayaks before then, I will have to buy the factory cross bars.
Thule on a Vezel. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke with the dealer again today, and he double checked to see if roof racks were available in the other two trim levels and stated they were not. He did not know if this was an oversight, or if there were any plans in the future to add rack fittings to the roof. I kayak,bike, and ski. Racks are an important accessory. Aftermarket racks have problems with creeping and tearing up door seals. This will be a lost sale for Honda, just because they fail to install roof hardware that only costs them a couple of bucks to install on the assembly line. My last two verhicles were Hondas. Subaru or Mazda will now get my business.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is a huge issue. People who buy an SUV expect sport utility - especially the demographic this is aimed at. Anyone who wants the rack has to buy the top trim level and purchase the overpriced add ons. There's no hitch option for rear bike carry. Eventually third party makers will have some compromised solutions, but that could be many months. (& Summer is short In the upper Midwest)

·
Registered
805 Posts
This is a huge issue. People who buy an SUV expect sport utility - especially the demographic this is aimed at. Anyone who wants the rack has to buy the top trim level and purchase the overpriced add ons. There's no hitch option for rear bike carry. Eventually third party makers will have some compromised solutions, but that could be many months. (& Summer is short In the upper Midwest)
Page 87 of the Ower's Guide: "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."

But surely someone like Curt will come up with a bicycle-rack-mountable hitch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Page 87 of the Ower's Guide: "Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."

But surely someone like Curt will come up with a bicycle-rack-mountable hitch.
Eventually. Doesn't help anyone in the short term if they are trading in their one vehicle that does have a means to carry their bikes/kayaks/etc.

& as the owner's guide states - towing can void the warranty...say you never tow - if there is some related issue, can you convince a dealership or warranty claims that you didn't tow with that third party hitch mount you have installed?

Sorry, I'm angry - because I LOVE the idea of the HRV... but (1) give me the option of a tow package for bike mounts & light duty hauling like a jetski or cycle trailor, (2) & this is my biggest complaint, give me the option of an EX trim WITHOUT the freekin' moonroof that prevents me from fitting in the vehicle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Even if you got Honda crossbars Yakima mighty mounts fit round, square, and factory bars. You do not have to buy Honda branded carriers for your gear if you get their crossbars. They probably rebadge Yakima and Thule carriers anyway.

My dealer assumed rails will be available on lower trim like the CRV but I'm skeptical. I really liked the EX-L anyway, my plans were to go top of the line for my next car anyway.

·
Registered
805 Posts
--- SNIP ---

& as the owner's guide states - towing can void the warranty...say you never tow - if there is some related issue, can you convince a dealership or warranty claims that you didn't tow with that third party hitch mount you have installed?

--- SNIP ---
I have a trailer hitch on my 2010 Prius ... a Curt mount with one of those ball and bar in one-piece European setups.

I've never towed a trailer; probably never will. Never mounted a bicycle rack; probably will.

Service person once asked about the hitch. I replied, "It's an attempt to keep the nasty parkers off my ass! Off my tissue-thin plastic bumper!" He laughed and moved on to enquiring about my JDM push-button shifter.

>:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even if you got Honda crossbars Yakima mighty mounts fit round, square, and factory bars. You do not have to buy Honda branded carriers for your gear if you get their crossbars. They probably rebadge Yakima and Thule carriers anyway.

My dealer assumed rails will be available on lower trim like the CRV but I'm skeptical. I really liked the EX-L anyway, my plans were to go top of the line for my next car anyway.
will yakima/thule make crossbars that work w/ the OEM roof rails typically?
would like to know if there will be options other than Honda for the cross bars.

·
Registered
805 Posts
will yakima/thule make crossbars that work w/ the OEM roof rails typically?
would like to know if there will be options other than Honda for the cross bars.
According to this YouTube Thule already does.
He even gives you part numbers, although they only work on Misty Green :(

P.S. I didn't have much luck with those numbers in the U.S.

·
Registered
805 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.