Honda HR-V Forum banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I'm extremely happy with the result.
Looking forward to seeing the picks.
Love the extra functionality being able to tow.
Sucks the HR-V build in North America isn't rated to tow, while the same vehicle shipped to Europe is rated.

You need to post a few more times before the system will let you put pictures, the rule seems silly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WHISPBAR Thule

Did this occur and did the Whispbar work? I have a used set that was given to me and wanted to know if it will work? Do they come if different sizes? Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thule...

I purchased the Thule system for my HRV as the Asian-made roof rails installation may not be as strong as a factory installation. I could be wrong, however.
Thule uses two cross-bars with a cross-section shaped somewhat like an aircraft (minus the 'lift' shape), wing to cut wind resistance.
The system uses two molded rubber block-pieces, one fwd and one aft - both sides, naturally, which conform to the shapes found on the roof above the door areas
where they mount using specific measurements from the front windscreen, etc. for location. The 'towers' holding the cross-bars clamp just above the doors area... I don't think they will harm the door seals, etc. and the clamps are tightened with a supplied 'key' which has a nifty, built-in torque indicator for proper, secure tightening.
The towers have a key-lock system designed to prevent theft.
The cross-bars catch a lot of bugs, that's for sure, being up in the wind-stream. Cross-bars (aluminum), come in a satin finish as well as a flat black.
I've test-fitted a ski carrying box I built out on the interstate highway at 75mph and all was well.
Thule system cost around $500.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Advice needed on size of hitch to install

I had a 1- 1/4 inch hitch installed on my 2010 Fit to haul a bike rack. I'd like to install a hitch on my new EX HR-V which should be arriving this week.

The bike rack I have accommodates both 1 1/4" and 2" hitch. Is there any reason to install the larger 2" hitch on the HR-V?
On the Fit they recommended the 1 1/4 inch only. I carry two bikes at most.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you need to haul something that requires a 2" receiver, you probably shouldn't be doing it with the HRV :)

I have the draw tite 1-1/4" on mine, the only time I wanted bigger is when I borrowed a 4 bike rack from a friend for a road trip that required a 2" receiver. We had to take another car

The 2" eco hitch is nice but also a lot more expensive

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
If you need to haul something that requires a 2" receiver, you probably shouldn't be doing it with the HRV

I have the draw tite 1-1/4" on mine, the only time I wanted bigger is when I borrowed a 4 bike rack from a friend for a road trip that required a 2" receiver. We had to take another car

The 2" eco hitch is nice but also a lot more expensive
Agreed
HRV s in other markets are rated to tow 1200-1500 lbs
I keep mine at 1000lbs or less and it's been fine.
A class 1 hitch (1 1/4") can haul up to 3,500 lbs
A class 2 hitch (2") will allow over 5,000 lbs
Nothing you should be attempting

I wouldnt haul over 2 bikes on the hitch either

You are on your own when you do these unapproved after market changes, if there was an accident you could be sued!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof box and roof rails

Hi,

We are about to get a roof box & obviously requiring roof rails to go with it, to double our cargo capacity for an upcoming camping trip. I'm sick of travelling with an overloaded car and not being able to see out the back window.

Whilst the manual & Honda themselves say only to use Honda roof rails, this would seem silly as I doubt Honda are the experts when it comes to the best, strongest, most aerodynamic roof rails etc. and likely outsource it from another supplier. We are currently looking at getting Thule roof racks, the more expensive ones that don't overhang from the roof rail mounts (unlike the Honda roof rails).

Also, there is no mention of a roof box as an accessory, and when we rang Honda (Australia) we were told they don't support roof boxes, and will not provide any guarantees that an HRV will be safe once you put a roof box on. As a proof that it was not supported, I was asked to go through the the Honda (Australia) website to observe that roof rails were listed as an accessory for HRV, yet no mentioned of a roof box, although that was available for a CRV. I was also told that the HRV had been crash-tested / roll-over tested with roof rails, but not a roof box, etc. etc.

Counter to all of these claims, I did further research and found that the American Honda Website (.com versus .com.au) does list a roof box as an accessory! I haven't rung Honda to resume the conversation yet, mainly because I'm dreading the "don't sue us" approach they seem to have to customer support (or is it customer management?!), which sounds much like the HRV manual reads (almost every page contains a warning about how doing something wrong might injure you or worse).

At this stage we are considering a Thule Motion XT-XL, although I need to check it won't be too long. The width should be okay.

Note that:
- I am aware that there is a 75 kg limit on what you put on your roof, presumably on top of reasonably weighted roof racks. To quote the manual: "Never carry more than 165 lbs (75 kg) of cargo on the roof rack (Honda accessory)." The Thule roof box would be 23 kg, leaving 52 kg which is far more than I would dare put on a roof of an SUV. We'd put the lightest yet bulkiest items in it.
- I am also aware of the overall weight limit for the vehicle and am taking this into account for 2 adults, 2 kids and a rooftop box + luggage. The manual states this as 385 kg.

Questions
1. has anybody here put a roof box on their HRV, and if so which type (make + also model if you know it)?
2. if so, how has it performed and have you had any issues with it on your HRV?

Thanks in advance
(p.s. this is my 1st post on this site ... please be kind!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, corrections: in many places I meant to say "Honda roof racks" versus "Honda roof rails". This occurred in multiple places, including the thread title, which probably can't be changed. Please read the thread title to be : Roof box and roof racks

Here's another go at it:

Roof box and roof racks

Hi,

We are about to get a roof box & obviously requiring roof rails to go with it, to double our cargo capacity for an upcoming camping trip. I'm sick of travelling with an overloaded car and not being able to see out the back window.

Whilst the manual & Honda themselves say only to use Honda roof racks, this would seem silly as I doubt Honda are the experts when it comes to the best, strongest, most aerodynamic roof racks etc. and likely outsource it from another supplier. We are currently looking at getting Thule roof racks, the more expensive ones that don't overhang from the roof rail mounts (unlike the Honda roof racks).

Also, there is no mention of a roof box as an accessory, and when we rang Honda (Australia) we were told they don't support roof boxes, and will not provide any guarantees that an HRV will be safe once you put a roof box on. As a proof that it was not supported, I was asked to go through the the Honda (Australia) website to observe that roof racks were listed as an accessory for HRV, yet no mentioned of a roof box, although that was available for a CRV. I was also told that the HRV had been crash-tested / roll-over tested with roof rails, but not a roof box, etc. etc.

Counter to all of these claims, I did further research and found that the American Honda Website (.com versus .com.au) does list a roof box as an accessory! I haven't rung Honda to resume the conversation yet, mainly because I'm dreading the "don't sue us" approach they seem to have to customer support (or is it customer management?!), which sounds much like the HRV manual reads (almost every page contains a warning about how doing something wrong might injure you or worse).

At this stage we are considering a Thule Motion XT-XL, although I need to check it won't be too long. The width should be okay.

Note that:
- I am aware that there is a 75 kg limit on what you put on your roof, presumably on top of reasonably weighted roof racks. To quote the manual: "Never carry more than 165 lbs (75 kg) of cargo on the roof rack (Honda accessory)." The Thule roof box would be 23 kg, leaving 52 kg which is far more than I would dare put on a roof of an SUV. We'd put the lightest yet bulkiest items in it.
- I am also aware of the overall weight limit for the vehicle and am taking this into account for 2 adults, 2 kids and a rooftop box + luggage. The manual states this as 385 kg.

Questions
1. has anybody here put a roof box on their HRV, and if so which type (make + also model if you know it)?

Thanks in advance
(p.s. this is/was my 1st post on this site ... please be kind!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same cross bars as ddemetra (aftermarket ebay crossbars) but I use a roof rack instead of a box.The roof rack has a smaller package envelope and is probably more aerodynamic when compared to a roof box but my HRV handles it pretty well so the roof box shouldn't be no different. You'll noticed a decrease in your mpg but otherwise, the pros such as convenience and storage space it provides outweighs the cons. It also makes your HRV look pretty sweet and standout from the rest.

The HRV does have a slight downward angle to its roof so the crossbars have to sit pretty far forward in order for my roof rack to sit parallel with the road. You have to pretty much line it up with the OEM attachment points. My only advice is not to get too long of a box since you'll need clearance for the hatch to lift open as well.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Questions
As noted I was an early adaptor for after market roof rails, and getting a ski box.
Many more options now between flush rails like the OEM, vs Thule.

I really like the Thule alpine
http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/714-honda-hrv-accessories-add-ons/4514-roof-rails-trailer-hitch-19.html

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-pulse-alpine-_-1680041

Dimensions: 88.5 L x 25.5 W x 12.5" H (225 x 65 x 31.75 cm)
30 lbs

The narrow box allows you to mount close to the passenger side, for easier access.
The narrow/short dimensions make it quiet and aerodynamic, very little mileage difference.

3 winters of skiing, I take it off in the Summer, zero issues.

When we go camping, I use our 10 foot aluminium trailer.
That is even more aerodynamic, and is easier on the vehicle, as you can throw the weight on the trailer wheels.
4 bikes, 3 coolers, everything but the kitchen sink!
Just another option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thus far no hitch available from Honda or U-Haul. I need one for my bike rack - anyone have any ideas of where to get one?
We got a hitch after market installed 7 way plug with electric brakes... good uptown 2000 pounds. These seem common in Europe so we lookedl& easy to find in Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I am looking for roof racks for my 2019 HRV. Can someone help me with this part number or universal mount?\
thank you!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey everybody, I finally had a chance to install a roof rack, and I made sure to take lots of pictures. I've written up an installation guide with probably more information than you need: https://camwilkinson.com/index.php/2019/10/14/2016-honda-hr-v-roof-rail-installation-guide/

This is for flush-mount rails being installed onto the roof of 2016-19 HR-Vs that do not have a roof rail option from the factory. I apologize that some of the pictures are rotated weird; I'm still trying to figure a lot of that stuff out. If you click the pic, you will see the full size image rotated correctly. I installed them last week, and over the weekend I used them to get 4'x8' sheet rock and plywood home from the hardware store. In retrospect, I think I may have been pushing the 200lb capacity of the bars, but it all worked great! (Then again, this is from the guy who thought it was a good idea to take the highway with 1400lbs of human and stone in the car, so, you know, take that with a grain of salt maybe.)

Disclaimer: This is an unofficial guide for unofficial parts. I am not responsible for what happens to your car.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
311 Posts
That... makes me feel a little insecure.

I feel like, if something happens to yank on one of the corners (the compression bracket) hard enough, it's gonna go flying.

While it isn't much more, I think, instead of having that "tail" (from the bracket) that wedges under the post on the roof, they should've had another bracket secure directly onto that post. This way, there are two points of "secure" attachment, with two compression brackets in-between.

In the off chance the two compression brackets fails, the remaining two would be a temporary failsafe until you pull off to the side of the road and figure out what to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Goobers I'm not a small guy, and when I yank on those cross bars, the whole car moves, regardless of which direction I throw my weight. When I went harder, I saw the cross bars start to flex but no hint of movement from any connection point (cross bar to rail or rail to roof). Remember that each bar is held on with two different types of brackets - four brackets spaced throughout each rail - and those brackets are made to withstand forces from all of the relevant vectors.

In order for something to rip off one of the base rails, you would have to hit something hard enough to destroy your car's roof in the process, and with such a disproportionate force that you would definitely lose control of the car, AND on top of that your cross bars would have to be bolted into the rails (not just clamped on and tightened) just for enough of the force to transfer from the cross bar to the rail. If you follow the directions as written (including the use of an impact driver), those rails basically ain't coming off. Ever. You might be able to yank off a cross bar (depending on the strength of the your chosen cross bars), but that's external to the strength of the rails, so at that point it's no different than if you were using OEM rails.

In other words, to have that kind of detachment, the car would have to undergo stresses it was never meant to survive anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I drove 300 miles (6 hours) with the same rails, different cross bars, full basket. No issues. Bolt those rails on until it starts digging into your roof, you'll be fine ;)

241 - 260 of 287 Posts