Honda HR-V Forum banner

261 - 280 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
That... makes me feel a little insecure.

I feel like, if something happens to yank on one of the corners (the compression bracket) hard enough, it's gonna go flying.
Mine now has 5 years of use, with ski box all winter.
Zero movement, still tight (I used locktite on assembly)
Zero issues.

But, like I said,my box is narrow, and not very tall, so it is very aerodynamic.
I won't put something like a canoe/kayak on it and drive at highway speeds, as that would put lots of stress on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everybody, I finally had a chance to install a roof rack, and I made sure to take lots of pictures. I've written up an installation guide with probably more information than you need:

This is for flush-mount rails being installed onto the roof of 2016-19 HR-Vs that do not have a roof rail option from the factory. I apologize that some of the pictures are rotated weird; I'm still trying to figure a lot of that stuff out. If you click the pic, you will see the full size image rotated correctly. I installed them last week, and over the weekend I used them to get 4'x8' sheet rock and plywood home from the hardware store. In retrospect, I think I may have been pushing the 200lb capacity of the bars, but it all worked great! (Then again, this is from the guy who thought it was a good idea to take the highway with 1400lbs of human and stone in the car, so, you know, take that with a grain of salt maybe.)

Disclaimer: This is an unofficial guide for unofficial parts. I am not responsible for what happens to your car. View attachment 29793

Hey do have the link for the racks and rail you purchased?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
Hooked up my Floe trailer. It's a 10 foot lightweight aluminum trailer, weighs 330 lbs including the rails.
Put on as load of brush from cleaning up the yard to take to the green waste area of the dump.
300 lbs of branches for total weight 630 lbs. Probably 50 lbs tongue weight.Tows fine, mileage about 10% worse.

I won't tow more then 700 lbs (1000 total), but under 700 lbs takes care of 95 % of any towing I need.
-Camping trips, bikes, trips to dump, buy/get rid of appliances, buy building materials.

You just need to drive extra safe to take account the extra weight.

Well Done i am happy to hear your experience worked out i will look to add a hitch and tow a small trailer with my Honda Ruckus 50cc for camping too!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
THANKS!!! Just purchased!! That snowboard rack looks nice, did you get that off amazon too?
Sweet! That’s an old Yakima powderhound 4 from REI I got in 2013ish. I am really happy with the roof rack the install was easy let me know if I can be any help when you get them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HRVSummoner: I checked out the guide you put on your website. Its very instructional, thanks! Do you think these rails and crossbars will be able to handle a couple of kayaks, at highway speed for a few hundred miles?

·
Registered
92 Posts
HRVSummoner: I checked out the guide you put on your website. Its very instructional, thanks! Do you think these rails and crossbars will be able to handle a couple of kayaks, at highway speed for a few hundred miles?
I can confirm his roof rails are the exact same ones I got from Amazon I just drove 3 hours with skis and snowboards up there on my ski rack no issues what so ever. They use the same factory mount system 100% certain oak not affiliated with amazon or that seller just a happy consumer hope you have a nice new year and good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
But said factory mounts are only the two (threadless) studs for the molding trim per side. For all the trim levels that have the roof rails from factory, they have six additional threaded studs, also per side.
The one I got has 4 post for the molding trim and six fittings that expand in the rain Chanel. The system meets all my needs.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
The one I got has 4 post for the molding trim and six fittings that expand in the rain Chanel. The system meets all my needs.
I was only responding to the part I quoted. Your rails may use the same aftermarket setup as HRVSummoner’s rails, but that’s not the same as a rail mounted from the factory.

I’m not debating whether it’s comparable in strength or whatever, just the simple fact they are different.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was only responding to the part I quoted. Your rails may use the same aftermarket setup as HRVSummoner’s rails, but that’s not the same as a rail mounted from the factory.

I’m not debating whether it’s comparable in strength or whatever, just the simple fact they are different.
Did you have any drawings you could show me with what you are talking about?

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go to any Honda dealer's estore and look at the part for the rail (molding-roof rail listed under the interior/bumper section). You'll see that along with the rail are six nuts per rail. These thread down onto the threaded studs on the body.

In My experience i just drove 6 hours at about 80 miles an hour with 2 snowboards and 2 sets of skis up there and had no issues, so I am going to call it as good as OEM you may choose to call it whatever you like.

·
Registered
312 Posts
In My experience i just drove 6 hours at about 80 miles an hour with 2 snowboards and 2 sets of skis up there and had no issues, so I am going to call it as good as OEM you may choose to call it whatever you like.
Like I said, I wasn't arguing whether or not it was comparable...YOU were doing that. I only said that it isn't using the same factory mounts.

I pointed out a "question" about its strength when I mentioned it to a different member before your posts. But ultimately, it was his (and now your) decision to do what you want with your vehicle.

To me, it leaves a terrible impression about a person that persists on arguing a different topic than the one they were supposedly responding to. In this case, is it USING the factory mounts for OEM roof rails? No, that's it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
if I took more pictures of the install you would see what I am talking about my bad yes it’s not an exact copy of Honda roof rails just a very good copy using a “similar” mounting system that is not just a for looks only mod but actually useable and safe. I apologize to you for my earlier misleading post. I am not a sales person whatsoever just a satisfied individual

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dmitri - Haven't heard if anyone has tried the install on an LX. Someone said the shape of the roof may be different since the EX has the sunroof and the LX doesn't. But Kingcherauto says they will fit. Do you know, if I removed the hard rubber track to see if it's identical to yours is it a problem to reinstall it?

Thanks,
Richard

261 - 280 of 287 Posts