Honda HR-V Forum banner

281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
I installed an aftermarket rack on my 2019 LX it fit fine it won’t match the oem roof rack since it mounts different than the stock setup. However, the one I have linked below is safe and sturdy and looks 9/10 the same as the stock setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you successfully used your rack for anything yet? I have a 2017 LX and want to be able to carry a kayak or two. We haven’t purchased them yet but we’re looking at the smaller and lighter kayaks, 30-40lbs. I imagine there would be a lot more drag on those than skis. I’m also looking at the Thule brand racks as al alternative, but I really wanted to have a more permanent solution.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you successfully used your rack for anything yet? I have a 2017 LX and want to be able to carry a kayak or two. We haven’t purchased them yet but we’re looking at the smaller and lighter kayaks, 30-40lbs. I imagine there would be a lot more drag on those than skis. I’m also looking at the Thule brand racks as al alternative, but I really wanted to have a more permanent solution.
Thanks!
A couple of months ago I install on my 2016 HRV the same rails that HondadudeHRV posted (#282). The rails and crossbars did not come with instuctions and I had to rely on a blog post to figure out how to install them. I was NOT able to install the crossbars that came with the rails because I could not get the bolts into the holes while the rails are mounted. I believe someone posted that you should install the crossbars on the rails before installing the rails on the car. I don't know how that would work maybe the original posted can enlighten us. I purchased a different set of crossbars that clamp on to the rails instead of bolting into the pre-made holes. I have since used the roof rack system to carry my kayak with no troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question, I ordered he same kit but got no instructions, can you send me a photo of your instructions? also, do you have a 2017 model and could it make a difference?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
I also had no instructions i found some info on here on how to remove the rain gutters to reveal where the rack is mounted its very easy just need some pliers to remove the clips off the 4 metal posts in the rain gutters. sorry for lack of pictures

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking to install 54" Yakima tracks on the roof of my 2020 HRV LX, does anyone know where I can find a diagram that shows where the roof support beams are so that I don't drill into them? Yakima is no help, and I've tried contacting a couple of Yakima dealers, but so far nothing has come of that. So far, I only have the pictures from this site showing a job they did for a customer to use as my guide, but it doesnt really show the front drill hole locations. Any advice is appreciated! Honda HR-V Rack Installation Photos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I’m going to buy a roof box for my HRV. I was just wondering if anyone else has purchased one recently? I want to get the largest one possible without it blocking the hatch or looking ridiculous... thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take a look at this link: 2016 Honda HR-V Roof Rail Installation Guide. I got the same rails and cross bars from eBay and they came with no instructions too. I used these instructions to get the rails on but could not get the crossbars on. I think I read some where on this forum that someone put the crossbars on the rails before putting the on the roof. I don’t know how that would work though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello and thank you! It finally makes sense. I do have one more question though. Does the HRV have what is looks like a screw or pivots sticking up at each end on the roof under the current rubber strip (that I need to take off) so that the 2 small rubber slide in? Like a tongue and groove fit? I know it's vague but Im having a hard time trying to describe.
My fear is that I rip up the rubber strip and the rubber ends of the rails wont have anything to keep or hold down. Does this make sense? please help and again txs so much for the previous attachment.
phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you take the rubber weather stripping off, there should be those metal studs sticking up at each end of the channel. The ends of the rail brackets fit under those studs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking to install 54" Yakima tracks on the roof of my 2020 HRV LX, does anyone know where I can find a diagram that shows where the roof support beams are so that I don't drill into them? Yakima is no help, and I've tried contacting a couple of Yakima dealers, but so far nothing has come of that. So far, I only have the pictures from this site showing a job they did for a customer to use as my guide, but it doesnt really show the front drill hole locations. Any advice is appreciated! Honda HR-V Rack Installation Photos
Just FYI, I found a local Yakima dealer and they did it in an afternoon, and since then I've gone on multiple kayak trips with both of them strapped down on my Yakima aerobars rack and haven't had any issues, so I'd say its not going anywhere. I usually drive around without the rack on top to save MPG, but the black tracks along on a black HRV doesn't look bad at all.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts