Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was recently cruising through the online revised owners guide and on page 105 in the "Emergency Towing" section, it has a notice that says "Improper towing such as towing behind a moterhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission" (see attachment).

Not sure if there's other areas that address this since I haven't gotten through everything yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
There is a thread about roof rails and trailer hitches- not rated for it in the U.S. But people have done it successfully
Look thru the threads for the discussion- page 7 or 8 of active topics- tried and failed to copy the link, sorry!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the OP is asking about pulling an HR-V behind an RV (all 4 wheels on the ground) but we'll let him/her clarify.

Google "flat tow"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sterling is correct. Flat towing refers to the vehicle in question BEING TOWED, sometimes referred to as a "dingy."

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't tow the hrv especially if its AWD. You would be spinning all 4 axles and both driveshafts and the transfer case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HR-V Tow Behind with Tow Dolly

I am looking to tow my HR-V across country. It is better to get all four wheels off the ground but it adds a lot of weight for the towing vehicle to haul.
U-Haul said towing with the front wheels off the ground is okay for the HR-V with the tow dolly.
Sterling, your post was helpful since i couldn't find a good towing reference elsewhere and i must have missed that. It is also good to double check and do the math when towing. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Towing HRV 4 Wheels down

The manual 6 speed can be towed 4 wheels down. I found the towing instructions in the CD manual that comes with the car. You have to put it in accessory mod and it tells you to remove two fuses. I am looking at the fuses to see why but I just think it is just to keep the battery from running down. I just plan to run a aux power line to it from the coach. The rear lights are a different matter. My Mercedes coach doesn't like LED lights and it looks like very little room to add new lights. I think I am going with a battery light setup with a transmitter plugged into the coach (TM22G WIRELESS TOW LIGHT BAR). Expensive but I don't like tearing out the insides on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda HRV flat towing

We just completed our first trip flat towing our new 2016 Honda HRV behind our 2014 Georgetown class A. The HRV has a manual trans, Blue Ox base plate, universal diode kit, and we use a Proeagle tow bar. We found the HRV had a feature that allows the key to be off but the steering wheel remains unlocked by inserting the key, turning it on, then turning it off but do not remove it. The steering wheel will remain unlocked until the key is removed. (Yes you have to tow with the key in the ignition).
The Blue OX base plate install left a little to be desired as I had to engineer how to attach the windshield washer fluid reservoir/pump because Blue Ox didn't. Also I didn't bore large holes in the frame to fish the nuts-on-wire thru as Blue Ox instructed, I put them thru an existing hole in the front of the frame rail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been looking at a 2017 HR-V as a dinghy and this is what we found in the owner's manual:

Towing Behind a Motorhome
Models with continuously variable transmission
Your vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motorhome. If your vehicle
needs to be towed in an emergency, refer to the emergency towing information.

Models with manual transmission
Your vehicle can be towed behind a motorhome. Perform the following procedure
before towing your vehicle:
1. Shift to Neutral.
2. Release the parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition switch (or power mode) to ACCESSORY. Make sure the
steering wheel does not lock.
4. Turn off all electrical devices. Do not use any accessory power sockets. This
can prevent the battery from running down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if you can flat tow an HR-V (like a CRV). Big deal for the RV crowd...
I used to work for a Honda dealership, and our sales staff was told by the management that it was not advisable to flat tow an HR-V unless it had a manual transmission. (The CVT transmission be ruined if it's towed.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone tow their HRV behind a motorhome. I am looking to buy a 2018 with manual transmission. I am interested in the experience of other who tow the car. What is the setup procedure and any other tips for preparing for towing. The car I am looking at does have all the necessary tow equipment with it so it has been towed. Any info would help.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
From the 2018 HR-V Owner's Manual:

All models
- Flat bed equipment
The operator loads your vehicle on the back of a truck. This is the best way to transport your vehicle.

2WD models
- Wheel lift equipment
The tow truck uses two pivoting arms that go under the front tires and lift them off the ground. The rear tires remain on the ground. This is an acceptable way to tow your vehicle.

NOTICE
Improper towing such as towing behind a motorhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts