Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I used the 303 on my car the past weekend. Application was easy. I used a piece of cardboard to protect the windows. The solution pooled on the plastic pieces like the door handles but I just wiped it away immediately. I was worried it would discolor the plastic, but a few days later there is no discoloration.
I did the same......had a bucket of water and cloth to immediately wipe any over-spray.
No noted issues with any discoloration or other issues.

That 303 sure makes water bead up!
Just hope it lasts....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just did my grey/beige interior with the 303 waterproofer and definitely had a hard time getting it on smoothly without hitting the plastic/leather areas. I tried to mask them off with plastic sheeting and wiped off those areas immediately after application as best I could. It's now drying but I'm concerned that my application may have been patchy and hope I got it off all the non-fabric areas. Has anyone had any lasting problems with using this product? I'm hoping that it will dry uniformly on the fabric, and will not have damaged any plastic/leather i.e. that I'm worrying necessarily. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
HR-V EX with gray upholstery. I applied Scotch Fabric Protector within 24 hours of purchase, about 1.5 cans, to every cloth surface other than the floor carpets. Ideally, mask hard bits to prevent overspray; otherwise you will have to clean it off. As Razer (and the instructions on the can) advises, use in a well-ventilated location. I sprayed in the evening with all the windows down, and by dawn almost all the smell was gone. Water definitely beads up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks- it actually seemed to work out ok- no evidence of patchiness or damage to non-fabric surfaces as far as I can see, and the smell has faded. This was the 303 though (spray bottle), not Scotchguard. I think a spray can may be easier to control so next time I will probably try that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I scotch guarded my past CR-V and will scotch guard my new HR-V. It is a good thing to do. Go over lightly, let dry, then go over it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same......had a bucket of water and cloth to immediately wipe any over-spray.
No noted issues with any discoloration or other issues.

That 303 sure makes water bead up!
Just hope it lasts....
I was just reading your helpful information. I just got my new HR-V with black fabric interior and would like to take your recommendation of using the 303. Did you use the trigger bottle or did you find a spray? And may I ask, how many bottles did you feel were necessary to adequately treat all areas of the car? Thank you!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did spray bottle and thought it went on fine with it, and I used most of a bottle just to be through but there was some left when I was done.

Supposed to be better long term as many Scotchguard products will attract dirt with a residue left behind. Who knows, but the 303 so far has been excellent on my grey interior.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can pick up the 303 spray from Costco for $58, or $13 for the Scotch Gard at Walmart. I'm hesitant to pay $58 for the 303, can anyone who has used the Scotch Gard give an update to how well it's held up since you first applied it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Within a couple days of receiving my HR-V new, I applied Scotchgard to just about every inch of fabric and carpet in the vehicle. A new car is an investment, so you might as well protect it thoroughly from the start.

While spraying the seats, I placed a towels over things like the center console to catch over-spray. Even though I planned to eventually add floor liners, I also sprayed the floor to seal the fibers. I even sprayed the fabric on the inside of the doors, while protecting the window glass from over-spray with a piece of cardboard. It's tough to avoid some over-spray on smaller details like plastic handles and such. There I just wiped it off unwanted areas with a towel, and then cleaned all these non-fabric areas with an appropriate multipurpose cleaner.

I followed the directions on the Scotchgard can, and applied complete but light coverage to all fabric surfaces. I let that first light coat set for a couple hours, then I did another coat. I timed it so that after the second coat I could leave the car sitting overnight for it to fully dry. I used up a few cans, but that didn't seem unreasonable since I was doing 2 coats on just about every fabric surface.

The smell wasn't so bad, but you should keep the car well ventilated (open all the doors) while spraying. While it dried overnight, I just cracked all the windows slightly to let the fumes get out. Now you can't see or smell anything. Invisible protection on the seats and carpets. But I know it's helping because I've already seen rain water bead right up on the seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Either Scotchguard or 303 will do the trick...normally I just spray the seating surfaces of the seats up front, the floor area of the front seats and the entire rear seat front/back and cargo area. When I had kids I would spray the backs of the front seats and all the doors...reapply ever fall or when you do a thorough cleaning. Never a concern about discoloration or 2ndary damage. Both great products...pick one and apply.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts