Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my car a week ago and noticed a scratch on the plastic cover for the gauge cluster. I thought it was a glare until yesterday I touched it and noticed it was scratched. Honda said they would replace it, but I just have SUCH bad luck with dealerships doing work on my car. Do you think I could replace this myself? Or do you think I could buff it out? You can see it going through the 60 and 80.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would have the Dealership replace. Especially since under warranty. But before you drive off the lot, check out the dash lights, etc.

But you could try buffing out prior to your visit but doubt buffing will satisfy you, especially a new vehicle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do you think I could replace this myself?
If you are familiar with taking dashes and interiors apart, I'd say yes. If not, especially since the car is under warranty, just let the dealership handle it.

I'm not sure on the HR-V, but on other vehicles, the cover is typically not a separate part. The entire gauge cluster gets replaced as an assembly, and that sure won't be inexpensive to purchase out-of-pocket.

Or do you think I could buff it out?
As a former auto detailer, I'll say you'll have limited success trying to polish scratches out on clear plastic. Are you sure it's scratched? It could be adhesive residue or some other surface contaminant, which is definitely removable.

before you drive off the lot, check out the dash lights, etc.
Definitely this. The entire dash had to come out for the blend door replacement on my HR-V. I made it about 100 feet before every warning light illuminated. Turns out the dealer forgot to do the PCM recalibration after unplugging and removing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue with my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. I’ve used Meguiar’s PlastX, which was better than nothing, but wasn’t a perfect solution. If the dealer wants to replace it with no charge to you? I say let them (but as others pointed out, do make sure you check everything afterward).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definite dealer job. Something from my slot car days - try Johnsons clear floor wax if you must attempt. Just "paint" a bit on the scratch. I did this on my 09 Fit many years ago. But best let dealer do it and always be careful dusting as it is easy to mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts