Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else replaced their serpentine belt?
I did last week and it was a bit of a pain in the a*s
The tensioner did not want to move at all until I put
an old hollow metal fence post that I had on the end of my
3/4" box end wrench! (I didn't have a 19mm box wrench) It was very
tight with the AC lines. It looks like the easier way to do it is to remove the motor
mount on the passenger side. Would be a pain on the side of the road.
The only reason I replaced it at 32,000 miles is that I went to replace my
son's belt on his 2008 Civic and the belt was too small. I had it in the
trunk of his car as a replacement in case it ever failed on the road so
to be proactive I wanted to make sure my spare belt would fit!.
I always like to have a spare belt in the car just in case.
My wife's 2015 CR V was easy to change. Anyone have experience/thoughts
on this?
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its supposed to last 100,000 miles I think ( the R18 on my Civic was made for that )- I had changed the one on my civic with another belt after about 50,000 miles ( to be proactive) and that one stretched out within another 20k- the tensioner was dancing at that point- then the AC issues i had were diagnosed to this stretched belt - so it was changed. I was going to do it myself but you do need 4 hands, and the right tools - and its tight. ( plus the civic had a power steering pump pulley too !)
I wont change these belts until i have to.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
I have the Gates tool...its simple, it just measures the depth of the ribs. (Modern belts don't crack as in the past so you can't tell by looking.)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I tried to find it free on their site. Couldn't find it anywhere but AUS, and they will send it free to AUS or NZ.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Has anyone else replaced their serpentine belt?

It looks like the easier way to do it is to remove the motor mount on the passenger side.
Mine was changed @ 60k miles. There's no doubt it would have lasted until 100k but my train of thought was preventive maintenance.

If it doesn't have to be changed right away, parts can be bought for cheap and my trusty mechanic can install. I've been taken advantage of too many times when having to get repairs done on the spot at random shops.

I think the mechanic mentioned the passenger motor mount was removed to have better access so you might be right.. Either way, labour was under an hour so wasn't a big deal (If I'm not the one doing the work... respect to the mechanics on here like sanpablo and John35g)

Bando 6pk2115 is the same belt as the one sold by the dealer but at half the cost:

7,000 miles with the new belt and no issues to report.

Its supposed to last 100,000 miles I think ( the R18 on my Civic was made for that )- I had changed the one on my civic with another belt after about 50,000 miles ( to be proactive) and that one stretched out within another 20k- the tensioner was dancing at that point- then the AC issues i had were diagnosed to this stretched belt - so it was changed. I was going to do it myself but you do need 4 hands, and the right tools - and its tight. ( plus the civic had a power steering pump pulley too !)
I wont change these belts until i have to.
hopefully this doesn't happen..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was changed @ 60k miles. There's no doubt it would have lasted until 100k but my train of thought was preventive maintenance.

If it doesn't have to be changed right away, parts can be bought for cheap and my trusty mechanic can install. I've been taken advantage of too many times when having to get repairs done on the spot at random shops.

I think the mechanic mentioned the passenger motor mount was removed to have better access so you might be right.. Either way, labour was under an hour so wasn't a big deal (If I'm not the one doing the work... respect to the mechanics on here like sanpablo and John35g)

Bando 6pk2115 is the same belt as the one sold by the dealer but at half the cost:

7,000 miles with the new belt and no issues to report.

hopefully this doesn't happen..
yes, the BANDO 6PK2115 is the one I put on. The only reason I replaced the belt is because I
went to replace my son's 2008 Civic belt and the replacement belt was too small. Correct part
number, still trying to figure out why. I bought spare belts for my HRV and my wife's 2015 CRV
and just wanted to make sure the belts were correct. have the original belts as spares now :) Just have to make sure I have the correct tools in the spare tire well to replace it if I ever have to. Long box wrench
with some kind of cheater bar, the tensioners need some careful persuasion :)

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
Haven't looked carefully at our HR-V, but I've used this Serpentine Belt Tool on several cars (including three Hondas) and it was worth the money!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't looked carefully at our HR-V, but I've used this Serpentine Belt Tool on several cars (including three Hondas) and it was worth the money!

I have the Gearwrench version of that tool. It does work very well on the Civic and the CRV
but the HRV tensioner is too close to the frame to get the socket on. I had to use a box wrench
on the HRV and the tensioner has a lot more resistance than the tensioners on the Civic or CRV.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
365 Posts
In my Fit, which I think is similarly a tight squeeze, I used two wrenches.

I tried to type up an explanation, but I decided to google for an image/video and found this:

·
Registered
305 Posts
yes, the BANDO 6PK2115 is the one I put on. The only reason I replaced the belt is because I
went to replace my son's 2008 Civic belt and the replacement belt was too small. Correct part
number, still trying to figure out why. I bought spare belts for my HRV and my wife's 2015 CRV
and just wanted to make sure the belts were correct. have the original belts as spares now :) Just have to make sure I have the correct tools in the spare tire well to replace it if I ever have to. Long box wrench
with some kind of cheater bar, the tensioners need some careful persuasion :)
Regarding the belt being too small- there was a re-routing of the belt around the pullies on later models at one point ( mid 2008???) - and therefore a different length belt is required depending on which routing is used.

·
Registered
305 Posts

This was from an old CIVIC forum page...... ( our HRV DOES NOT HAVE A PS pulleyby the way) - this pic shows is just why you may have a belt that is too short etc. just some FYI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regarding the belt being too small- there was a re-routing of the belt around the pullies on later models at one point ( mid 2008???) - and therefore a different length belt is required depending on which routing is used.
Yes, I know about the Civic rerouting of the belt. The belt I bought has the new routing diagram on the
sleeve, didn't fit?!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts