Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a 2WD 2015 model - I've noticed a few months ago the car has started shaking when going over minor bumps or uneven roads. Initially I thought it was a problem with the rear shocks, ended up replacing them but on inspection they were actually fine and the problem is ongoing. The strange thing is I don't have a noise issue...no clunking and no howling which is typically associated with suspension issues affecting the ball joint, tie rod etc. I decided to do a visual inspection to check for play and couldn't find any. I'm at a loss as to what could be the issue. My only thinking now is perhaps it's the frost struts, that's a bit more difficult to diagnose because the weight of the engine makes it difficult to notice a difference in the front unless it's really obvious. Any tips on what could be the cause? Thanks

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shaking/vibrations could also be caused by imbalanced tires.
I had recently gotten the tires balanced after replacing them so that may not be it. I have inspected the sway bar links and bushing. The links appear to be fine but the bushing not so great. That could be it, it's a cheap repair so let's see.

Is there any recommended suggestion for aftermarket bushings? In searching I see a lot of options for other Honda cars but few for hrv's, are they interchangeable (maybe not the diameter but shape)?

Tire Automotive tire Human body Tread Wheel

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
I replaced these bushings on the rear of my Toyota Celica years ago, it was giving me a rattle. Didn't seem to cause any shaking or other issues. They have to be a snug fit around the sway bar. Might be the same as other Honda cars, but I'd make sure to get the right fitment for the HRV.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced these bushings on the rear of my Toyota Celica years ago, it was giving me a rattle. Didn't seem to cause any shaking or other issues. They have to be a snug fit around the sway bar. Might be the same as other Honda cars, but I'd make sure to get the right fitment for the HRV.
yea I'm going to measure the diameter of the sway bar to ensure that it's snug. I'm just wondering whether I will need to just get a matching bracket as well since I don't see many bushings with the exact shape of the current one.

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
yea I'm going to measure the diameter of the sway bar to ensure that it's snug. I'm just wondering whether I will need to just get a matching bracket as well since I don't see many bushings with the exact shape of the current one.
As I recall, the bracket squeezed the bushing into place as it was drawn up. Might be best to just call a Honda dealer, doubt that they are very expensive.

· Registered
768 Posts
So what does "shaky" mean?!

Bouncing? Wandering? Excessive leaning? Weird tire wear patterns?

If the rubber sway bar bushings are worn, they will be play in the sway bar at the bushing and clunking.
That looks like the front sway bar bushing and it looks like it mounts to the top of the front subframe, like other Honda's.
The front subframe may have to be loosened and lowered to access the front sway bar bushings.

If you don't have experience with aftermarket urethane sway bar bushings, there is a learning curve with them.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If the rubber sway bar bushings are worn, they will be play in the sway bar at the bushing and clunking.
That looks like the front sway bar bushing and it looks like it mounts to the top of the front subframe, like other Honda's.
The front subframe may have to be loosened and lowered to access the front sway bar bushings.

If you don't have experience with aftermarket urethane sway bar bushings, there is a learning curve with them.
Yes that pic is of the front frame. These ones (if you can see closely in the photo) has a slit on the right. My hope is that I can remove it without having to remove or perhaps just loosening the links.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Unfortunately I recently replaced the tires so can't determine any weird wear patterns as yet. No leaning or bouncing and no clunking.
The most noise I hear is a slight squeak when I go over a bump and that only just started to happen. Typically what has been happening is once I go over any bump or uneven road it slightly rocks to the left and right before settling and then it's fine. It only happens at low speeds.

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
look like just finding the correct bushing is near impossible, I'm assuming deliberately. Dealership it is
I wouldn't be surprised if the parts guy just goes just goes back and grabs a couple off the shelf, without even looking it up. Good chance that most Hondas take the some one, with the exception of a couple of high performance cars and maybe trucks. Let us know how you make out and if it solves your problem.

I've looked at a few of the online parts houses and none show a listing for the bushing since it's probably shown in the frame section, which isn't normally serviced. However if your Dealer isn't local, you might send one of these online OEM parts houses an email and they could probably supply you the bushings.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if the parts guy just goes just goes back and grabs a couple off the shelf, without even looking it up. Good chance that most Hondas take the some one, with the exception of a couple of high performance cars and maybe trucks. Let us know how you make out and if it solves your problem.

I've looked at a few of the online parts houses and none show a listing for the bushing since it's probably shown in the frame section, which isn't normally serviced. However if your Dealer isn't local, you might send one of these online OEM parts houses an email and they could probably supply you the bushings.
Thanks. I got the bushings from the nearest dealer (not really near) and it was the last pair they had. I'll do the replacement and then a test drive and report back here. Hopefully it solves the problem.

· Registered
11 Posts
This is a 2WD 2015 model - I've noticed a few months ago the car has started shaking when going over minor bumps or uneven roads.
Typically what has been happening is once I go over any bump or uneven road it slightly rocks to the left and right before settling and then it's fine. It only happens at low speeds.
By shaking and 'rocks to the left and right' you are refering to the Steering Wheel movement or swing?

If so, that sounds alignment related.

Do you have a screenshot of the most current alignment report?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
By shaking and 'rocks to the left and right' you are refering to the Steering Wheel movement or swing?

If so, that sounds alignment related.

Do you have a screenshot of the most current alignment report?
Not the steering wheel, the vehicle as a whole. To the point where recently even my lower back felt sore after driving over a long distance.

It also just occurred to me that although I inspected the struts I didn't check the strut mount under the hood, below that cowl cover. I'll need to add that to the list of things to check.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it's not the sway bar bushings. Replaced both and the shaking still persists. It got too dark before I could check the strut mount so I'll have to do it tomorrow. If that turns out to be fine then I'm at a loss and will just have to take it to a shop. The front struts are so much harder to diagnose because the weight of the engine on it can give the impression that it's fine when it's not.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

· Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
220 Posts
With only 48k miles I wouldn't think that the struts would be bad unless leaking oil.

Does the car ride smoothly on a smooth road, or can you still feel the shaking? If not, you may have a broken or shifted belt in one of the tires. Does it get worse/better/disappear if you accelerate or decelerate while cruising? That could be a sign if a C/V joint failure, again unlikely at that mileage.

I once had a customers car brought into the shop with what seemed like a tire balance issue. After fighting it for awhile, It turned out that he had aired up his tires at a gas station that had water in their compressor system and had gotten some water into one of tires. Doubt if this would be your problem, but thought I'd mention it.

If you ever saw the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" where his car was shaking due to "mud in the tires"...actually mud getting on the inside of the rims, this can commonly happen with ice and snow also.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts