Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 HRV here. About 54 thousand miles - trans fluid changed six times already, I think. Does it seem like I drive in-fear?
It's true. I'm actually expecting the transmission to fail... maybe not sooner, but a CVT - eventually. Fool that I am, I never did research on a CVT.
I assumed all would be well for maybe, 250K miles (crossed fingers), if I took great care of it. And that's what I've been doing.

So, my local (hi-end unspecified), dealer has a 5000-mile, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with manual 6-speed transmission and with AWD, naturally.
Some fellow bought it for his wife. Wife died and it wasn't needed, and traded-in.

What do you think? Test-driving, it was different, to say the least. Slower than the HRV, and much less of a 'handling' goodness-feel. Road test magazines reported good handling.
I know the HRV can hustle down some twisty country roads around here... but, I'm not into that any more. BTW, four wheels are no substitute for two :)

On the Subaru drive - it has the cross-bars installed on the roof - the wind noise was serious. I noticed a pile of snow on the roof after the drive... wonder if that was the cause.
I notice that both Honda and Subaru go each their own way on uh, economical. The Honda's interior seems 'nicer', in spite of the Subaru's bits of fake carbon-fiber trim here and there and orange stitching on the seats. Fuel mileage at 75 mph is a solid 33 mpg. The six-speed manual shifts ok... not used to it yet. Info screen seems smaller, harder to see. Back seats don't fold down as flat-like, like the HRV... I don't think I could sleep back there. No big problems reported for the 2018 Crosstrek.

My HRV should be worth something... Super rust prevention... taken-apart, sprayed, re-assembled. Clear 3-M film on front. Winter wheels and Michelin Ice-X tires. Trailer hitch - still not used for towing. New battery. No crashes. Thule roof aero-bars.

So. What? Shall I end my CVT worries and accept new concerns? I am not thinking good, positive thoughts regarding the Honda corp. and their engineering for the longer-term.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My son bought a Cross-Trek and I can see your points. I think if you're that concerned about the tranny, go for it. You stand to get around $15K out of your HRV if you sell it on your own, probably only $10K if you trade it in. Rowing your own gears would be fun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son bought a Cross-Trek and I can see your points. I think if you're that concerned about the tranny, go for it. You stand to get around $15K out of your HRV if you sell it on your own, probably only $10K if you trade it in. Rowing your own gears would be fun.
Fun... And for Subaru, It's all about - Love. What a crock in either case. Where do they come-up with that stuff? Adverts. geniuses.

I'm going back to have a second look at the Subie. (omg... I'm already speaking their language). True, I'm both CRV and Automatic transmission-shy now, having had a Tacoma TRD which, with no off-roading, lunched itself at 150K and for $5K.
Previous Subarus, back in 2016, had a serious oil-use problem. Eight-hundred miles to a quart, normal. Many uh, 'fixed' at the dealer's. I had to pass on them at that time. They are all over the place now, for sure. Ordinary problems reported with them... some worse, like any brand. I'll have to check that wind noise... Only $10K trade-in? Interesting. What a effing joke the entire business is!
Problem is, it all costs dearly. And who is laughing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha! I'll have to search for those horror stories. Who doesn't like a good mystery?

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
216 Posts
Repeated HG failure was the reason that our daughter traded her 2012 Outback for the silver '20 HR-V.
We had other friends who had HG failures on TWO early 2000s Subies...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Well, at least... Didn't I read a rumor on this site that the CVT in the newest HRVs are somehow, 'better' than previous versions?
Does anyone know what that is all about? Or maybe I should trust in the... uh, fates, and keep what works for the time-being.

·
Registered
380 Posts
OK. Well, at least... Didn't I read a rumor on this site that the CVT in the newest HRVs are somehow, 'better' than previous versions?
Does anyone know what that is all about? Or maybe I should trust in the... uh, fates, and keep what works for the time-being.
The latest Consumer Reports transmission reliability data.
Screenshot (108).png

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don’t think you will get $15k for a 54k mile car. Plenty of under 30k miles sold around here for well under $16/17k. Even a leather with nav won’t get $15k.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like, what happened in 2017? And it looks so good on paper, did Honda pay for this report?

I saw a 2016 with 110K online this morning for $14-something thousand.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Edmunds, Truecar, etc will give a close estimate for owner sale or trade In. We have had two Subarus. The first one, Baja, was great. The second one, 2011 Forester, not so great. Replaced the cam carriers, oil consumption so they replace the short block of transmission under warranty, rear view mirror collapsed, heated driver seat failed. We got about 120,000 miles and then traded it in after they told us the cam carriers needed to be replaced again. But overall the Subies are generally great cars. Not sure why they came out with the Crosstrek as very similar to the Outback.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could be a true story. But always be skeptical of what the dealer tells you.
Ask for a free Carfax from dealer. Carfax is not the ultimate answer. But it does sometimes state something.
Also, take to an independent shop and check on lift and ground. For problems or paint overspray. If they don't provide a free Carfax then pay for one.
Ask directly if this was a local trade-in. Or an auction purchase by dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts