Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 HRV with only 20,000 miles. MM is at 30%.

I know we're supposed to be wedded to the Maintenance Minder for service, but it's been over a year since my last service. Last June, I started a new job and stopped driving due to switching to public transport and now I've been WFH since March. Since I'm not driving much, it's going to take me months to get to 15%.

I'm concerned that my car hasn't been looked at for over a year. is it OK to go in early?

·
Registered
372 Posts
A 2016 with 20,000 miles has been sitting around a lot.

I would recommend that you take it for a ride at least once a week. Even a short 1/2 hour drive is good.

I would also recommend that you change the engine oil at least once a year.
I would recommend to change the CVT trans fluid if you haven't yet. (if your HRV has a CVT trans).

Get the engine air filter and cabin air filter checked.

As for a coolant and brake fluid, I would get those both flushed if you plan on keeping the HRV.
Brakes, tires, suspension are likely totally fine with only 20,000miles.

Reactions: Fearturtle44

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your recommendations. He does get driven weekly in total for about an hour. I was concerned about old oil sitting there for awhile. We did a cabin filter and engine filter at 16,000 miles. Will look into the coolant and brake fluid flushes, and I intend to keep him for as long as possible. I even paid him off six months early.

A 2016 with 20,000 miles has been sitting around a lot.

I would recommend that you take it for a ride at least once a week. Even a short 1/2 hour drive is good.

I would also recommend that you change the engine oil at least once a year.
I would recommend to change the CVT trans fluid if you haven't yet. (if your HRV has a CVT trans).

Get the engine air filter and cabin air filter checked.

As for a coolant and brake fluid, I would get those both flushed if you plan on keeping the HRV.
Brakes, tires, suspension are likely totally fine with only 20,000miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I moved close enough to bicycle to work. I went from commuting 25,000 miles a year to zero miles a year. I believe the owner's manual states to replace the engine oil and filter once per year if the Maintenance Minder has not already triggered within the year.

I'd take @CalgaryHRV 's suggestion to drive continuously for about half an hour weekly. You say that you drive for one hour total per week. If that one hour consists of 2-3 mile hops, you're not doing the car much help.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
262 Posts
I believe the owner's manual states to replace the engine oil and filter once per year if the Maintenance Minder has not already triggered within the year.
X2

You also should replace brake fluid every 3 years as Honda recommends.

In the 'old days', maintenance schedules were based on TIME as well as MILEAGE. The MM works OK for oil life. Many other cars (like CR-Vs) now post a reminder to change oil based on a calendar year. While other fluids are not as critical regards time, I believe it is still beneficial to change them. (Thinking CVT, Manual trans fluid, rear diff) And, other maintenance items (like filters) can vary quite a bit in life due to outside conditions (thinking Cabin Filters, Achoo!)

Reactions: JLC1

·
Registered
2 Posts

I know we're supposed to be wedded to the Maintenance Minder for service, but it's been over a year since my last service. Last June, I started a new job and stopped driving due to switching to public transport and now I've been WFH since March. Since I'm not driving much, it's going to take me months to get to 15%.

I'm concerned that my car hasn't been looked at for over a year. is it OK to go in early?
We have three Hondas. It seems that dealership is always telling us different things about maintenance. When I question them about conflicting info they have given me, they seem really confused. Sometimes I ask them to tell me exactly what the manual requires for the maintenance and they are not able to answer my question...

So, when I bought my HRV, I scoured the manual because it was vague about frequency of maintenance required when it is not driven much. I finally found something- I think it was in fine print, maybe with an asterisk about this. Honda requires their cars to be brought in for oil change/ maintenance once/ year regardless of how many miles are on it. They make this info very, very hard to find. Also of note is that the dealership mechanics were unaware of this requirement. I really don't think they know the specifics of what is required and rely more on general experience. Makes me think that perhaps Honda is interested in people voiding their warranty due to non-compliance with maintenance schedule.

Generally speaking, their manuals are in teeny, tiny small print with the pictures blurred to the point of being illegible. I don't like to depend on mechanics to tell me how often I need to get something maintenanced. I like to be able to refer to the manual from time to time and mine is too small to read. I tried to look it up online, but Honda has it password-protected and I lost my password and don't seem to be able to re-set it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Correct, per the manual

“If a message SERVICE does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.“

·
Registered
161 Posts
It seems that dealership is always telling us different things about maintenance. When I question them about conflicting info they have given me, they seem really confused. Sometimes I ask them to tell me exactly what the manual requires for the maintenance and they are not able to answer my question...

I think it was in fine print, maybe with an asterisk about this.

Makes me think that perhaps Honda is interested in people voiding their warranty due to non-compliance with maintenance schedule.

Generally speaking, their manuals are in teeny, tiny small print with the pictures blurred to the point of being illegible.
Service writers are salespeople and will tell you anything if they think it'll get them a sale. It'd behoove any owner of a vehicle to know their vehicle's maintenance schedule as prescribed by the manufacturer, as well as the limitations of the warranties.

Can't speak for all dealerships, but at least at the one I worked at (not a Honda store), there would have to be really, really obvious signs of neglect in order to void an otherwise warranty repair. And/or the customer would have to be a jerk. Heck, rental cars frequently run 10,000 miles between oil changes, regardless of what the manual says.

If you think your owner's manual is bad, try reading a Haynes manual. Black-and-white, printed on newsprint. Those are some challenging photographs to decipher. The Honda owner's manual is like HD in comparison.

·
Registered
29 Posts

When you do drive it, are you doing sort journeys, or at least 1/2 hour? Repeated short journeys are bad news for the oil which becomes contaminated way before a "long journeys" vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 LX AWD Modern Steel Metallic
88 Posts
We have three Hondas. It seems that dealership is always telling us different things about maintenance. When I question them about conflicting info they have given me, they seem really confused. Sometimes I ask them to tell me exactly what the manual requires for the maintenance and they are not able to answer my question...

So, when I bought my HRV, I scoured the manual because it was vague about frequency of maintenance required when it is not driven much. I finally found something- I think it was in fine print, maybe with an asterisk about this. Honda requires their cars to be brought in for oil change/ maintenance once/ year regardless of how many miles are on it. They make this info very, very hard to find. Also of note is that the dealership mechanics were unaware of this requirement. I really don't think they know the specifics of what is required and rely more on general experience. Makes me think that perhaps Honda is interested in people voiding their warranty due to non-compliance with maintenance schedule.

Generally speaking, their manuals are in teeny, tiny small print with the pictures blurred to the point of being illegible. I don't like to depend on mechanics to tell me how often I need to get something maintenanced. I like to be able to refer to the manual from time to time and mine is too small to read. I tried to look it up online, but Honda has it password-protected and I lost my password and don't seem to be able to re-set it.
I always download the owners manual in PDF format so that my 75 YO eyes can read it at 200%. I just Googled 2016 Honda HR-v owners manual, and your manual is available on the Honda site - no PW required (I tried it).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts