Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an old amp and two 10" subs in my garage for probably the past 10 years and decided to attempt to install them in my new HRV.

I was happy to find out that the install went pretty smoothly compared to the one other time I had attempted a sub install.

Cost me a total of $34.77 and a couple of afternoons to get the job done.

I used this install kit: $25.99 on amazon

I used this line out converter: $8.78 on amazon

There is a wiring diagram floating around the forum for the speakers, find it at this thread. Use it to wire the the line out converter to the back speaker wires.

I didn't have to do any drilling, with the small exception that I mounted the fuse that came with the wiring kit to the relay box.

Just wanted to throw that out there for those interested in giving it a go it's about as straightforward an install as you're going to get. The dash comes off easy. Just three screws for the receiver (you don't need to and shouldnt unscrew the bottom screw all the way it will fall out and you'll lose it, the unit slips up off the screw once you loosen it). The trim was forgiving for hiding wires. There was an easy place to run the power through the firewall. Like I said, straight forward as far as installs go. Subs can be easily removed if I need the space for storage. Also, while my subs are not super powerful, I'm getting no rattle so that's another bonus.

Good luck! See image attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to see that this was an easy install. This will probably be something I'll tackle down the road.

One of the nice things about doing this now as opposed to when I did this in college is the existence of youtube. I thought about making a quick video just to contribute, since I use youtube all the time for stuff like this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I thought about using 2 of the Pioneer powered subs, mounted under the back seat.
I had read about a few successful installs of power subs under the front driver seat and one or two under the front passenger seat. I considered this but I was afraid it would not fit in a way that allowed my seats to move forward and backward as one HRV owner reported. Then I considered the back seats but could not find a place to mount one that would not interfere with the "Magic Seats" ability to lock in the up or down position. I was going to try and mount my amp there but I could not make it work.

Is your plan to mount them directly to the underside of the seat and sacrifice the ability to lock the seats in the upright position? I looked around and had not seen anyone try this, would love to see pictures if it works out for you. :nerd:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I haven't taken any measurements yet. This will be a future project. I rarely have anyone in the car with me. So I might lock the back seats up and use that space. Another thought was an array of 4" high power drivers in a fiberglass enclosure, molded to fit around the magic seat. It wouldn't have to punch of two 12's. But should out perform the Pioneer powered subs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an old amp and two 10" subs in my garage for probably the past 10 years and decided to attempt to install them in my new HRV.

I was happy to find out that the install went pretty smoothly compared to the one other time I had attempted a sub install.

Cost me a total of $34.77 and a couple of afternoons to get the job done.

I used this install kit: $25.99 on amazon

I used this line out converter: $8.78 on amazon

There is a wiring diagram floating around the forum for the speakers, find it at this thread. Use it to wire the the line out converter to the back speaker wires.

I didn't have to do any drilling, with the small exception that I mounted the fuse that came with the wiring kit to the relay box.

Just wanted to throw that out there for those interested in giving it a go it's about as straightforward an install as you're going to get. The dash comes off easy. Just three screws for the receiver (you don't need to and shouldnt unscrew the bottom screw all the way it will fall out and you'll lose it, the unit slips up off the screw once you loosen it). The trim was forgiving for hiding wires. There was an easy place to run the power through the firewall. Like I said, straight forward as far as installs go. Subs can be easily removed if I need the space for storage. Also, while my subs are not super powerful, I'm getting no rattle so that's another bonus.

Good luck! See image attached.
[/QUOT
The blue remote wire for your amp what wire did you use

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Basslink in my 2016 LX a few days ago and kept the stock receiver. I would double check the wiring diagram for your newer model year, but you can keep the stock unit with this subwoofer. All you have to do is run power/ground lines and tap into the front door speakers for high level input. If you use the high level input, you do not need to run a remote wire.

I have a 2019 Sport and I'm looking to add a powered sub to get a little more bump in the trunk. I see that everyone is replacing their head units. Is this something thatis 100% necessary or can I keep the stock unit?

This is the sub, if that matters: Amazon.com: Infinity Basslink DC- 10” Compact, powered subwoofer system: Electronics

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Basslink in my 2016 LX a few days ago and kept the stock receiver. I would double check the wiring diagram for your newer model year, but you can keep the stock unit with this subwoofer. All you have to do is run power/ground lines and tap into the front door speakers for high level input. If you use the high level input, you do not need to run a remote wire.
What’s a good ground

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a sub to the OEM head unit. I tapped into the drivers side rear door speaker, the amp has a build in LOC and I barely get any bass. I even tried installing a dedicated LOC with RCA'S to the amp and still not getting any power on the bass. It's so low. Should I try tapping into the speakers behind the OEM head unit? Is the OEM radio removing the frequency from the line which is the reason I am getting no bass?

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX AWD-CVT | 19” Accord Sport wheels | Dasaita head unit | 15% Tints All Around
48 Posts
Honestly if you plan to keep the original radio I suggest getting this plug and play harness to keep everything stock and possibly not damage anything.

the plug and play harness - comes with the RCA & signal wire that you need to install an amp and from the amp install a subwoofer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts