Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage of a six speed manual over a 5 speed?
It just seems like an extra step to get to top gear. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better fuel economy.
Oh , because the revs won't be as high before shifting to the next gear?

I would be interested in hearing how people who generally have 5 speeds in the past and have experienced the 6 speed. Was it hard to get used to?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I drive a 5-speed daily and I've taken test drives in a 6-speed Honda Fit and Subaru Forester. I don't think it'll be hard to get used to, during the test drives I noted at highway speed that the revs seemed a "little bit" high, and then I remembered I had one more gear. Really the 6th gear is a top cruising "overdrive" gear. On both cars, if I wanted to zip around another car I would have to drop it down to 5th gear.

I'm sure with a week or two of driving you would get used to it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive a 5-speed daily and I've taken test drives in a 6-speed Honda Fit and Subaru Forester. I don't think it'll be hard to get used to, during the test drives I noted at highway speed that the revs seemed a "little bit" high, and then I remembered I had one more gear. Really the 6th gear is a top cruising "overdrive" gear. On both cars, if I wanted to zip around another car I would have to drop it down to 5th gear.

I'm sure with a week or two of driving you would get used to it.

Thanks. Good points. Really once I get under way, I don't shift my 5 speed that much so 6 gears should not be much of a change for me.

It would seem that it would be quieter too if you shifted at the suggested speeds, right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks. Good points. Really once I get under way, I don't shift my 5 speed that much so 6 gears should not be much of a change for me.

It would seem that it would be quieter too if you shifted at the suggested speeds, right?
Yup, i was the same way, especially when it comes to city driving as you normally stay within a specific speed range and depending how you drive... don't need to do complete stop and go's

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've driven my 2007 Honda Fit Sport 5MT for a little over 100k miles, including many long road trips. My biggest gripe is the lack of a 6th "overdrive" gear. My Fit will cruise in top gear (5th) at 40mph, which means at interstate speeds it's pushing 4000 RPM -- not good for fuel economy or cabin noise.

The biggest reason I will probably NOT buy a new Fit is the new 6th gear is the same as the old 5th gear. I'm hoping 6th in the HR-V will be a real overdrive gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an 04 civic with a 5 speed and crushing on the highway really required another top gear. On the Fit they put the extra gear between 4 and 5, I think. I would highly recommend taking your HR-V test drive on the highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 2015 Honda fit 6th speed is not an overdrive and runs at about 3500 rpms at 70 mph. I doubt that the hrv will have a 6th overdrive either since these are small engines we are talking about. I got a 2015 fit ex 6 speed manual and I don't mind not having an overdrive since I am getting around 40 mpg average. I was considering a hr-v but was under the impression that the hr-v would not have a manual, but I see they are showing them in this forum. Jason youtube video. I like the look of the Fit much better than the hr-v so I am not really upset. I like my 2015 fit. I wonder if the hr-v will come in a manual 6 speed with awd?

here are side by side pics of the hr-v and the 2015 fit. which is more appealing to you? fit for me.
The 2015 Fit reminds me of the civic throw back days. small, fun and appealing to the eye. hr-v looks like a mini me cr-v. which is ok.
http://www.lookingatcars.com/2015-honda-hr-v-vs-2015-honda-fit/

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know this is an old post. But let me clarify the 6 speed overdrive idea. In the HRV, both 5th & 6th gear are overdrive. Meaning less than 1:1 ratios (.83:1 & .69:1, I think). It's final drive is 4.70:1, to help with acceleration. But the trade off is higher revs and less economy. So much so, in this case, that a double overdrive was needed to keep the rpm down at speeds over about 45mph. Gears 1-4 are similar to the 5 speeds. 5th is slightly lower (numerical higher) than the 5 speeds. 6th is slightly higher (numerically lower) than the 5 speed. In mine, 70mph is 3000 rpm. About the same as my old 5 speed Civic. But a lot quicker because of both more horsepower and the lower final drive. The trade is 1 extra shift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Six speed Manual

What is the advantage of a six speed manual over a 5 speed?
It just seems like an extra step to get to top gear. What am I missing?
I agree- have driven a 5 speed manual for 40 years and don't see the advantage- just an extra shift and we like to shift that so I guess ok. I do love how easy and smooth it is to shift and so glad Honda made a six speed. It took me forever to find one of 4 they had at the time in the US and had it shipped to my house.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had to drive about 80 miles to get mine. Worth every mile!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts