Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 HR-V all stock. Driving in Sac has not been nice to the stock tires. I’ve had to plug them multiple times and now one has developed a slow leak. I’ve had enough really and would like to swap out to something that can take a bit more beating. I’ve been looking at the Geolandar A/T G015 for 17” rims. Plugging the numbers into a calculator I get the following. Can anyone advise if there are any significant cons to running these? I’m afraid of rubbing and such. But I’d really like avoid getting 16” rims. Thanks!

Stock rims

16” Rims suggested by TireRack

·
Banned
609 Posts
Discount tire size calculator is good. They claim that the max width that will work on an HR-V is 245mm...the aspect ratio is the percentage of the tire width in sidewall height. Try to stay close to the original height, or the spedometer will be wrong, and more importantly, the car was designed around a certain gear ratio (RPM's/tire revolution). Usually it works well to go up 20mm in tire width if the profile is dropped 5% . A 16" wheel (with 55mm offset) should work fine, but that is the smallest size wheel that will fit (because of the brake calipers).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That was helpful. Yes, I really wanted to check what would be reasonable when it came down to the aspect ratio since I’m mostly wanting to deal the crap roads we have here. I’m willing to go down to 16” rims and keep everything as close to stock as possible. I did some more research and found these BFG K02s that are only ever so slightly larger than stock. I’m just not looking to wear anything out prematurely over this upgrade. Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The stock 215/55R17 Michelin tires are lame. They are kinda narrow for the 7.5" wide stock wheels and don't have a rim guard.
Which is why curbing the stock wheels is likely common on the HRV.

We just got our HRV and am shopping for 16 inch winter wheels and tires for it.

I think going to a more aggressive tire with a rim guard in 225/55R17 size would be a good choice on the stock wheel.
Slightly wider, 1/2" taller to fill out the wheels wells and protect the wheels.
There are tons of tires available in this size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up getting General Grabbers AT2 at 215/70r16, they were delivered yesterday. Overall I feel like the car gained both height and ride quality. Sure it’s slightly noisier due to the aggressive treads but they work great so I’m happy. I took off the dealer installed mud flaps but I’ll put them back on since nothing is rubbing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks good, I'm waiting to pick up some rims before going with 225 65 17 conti terrain contacts at

My friend just bought some in a bigger size for his chevy and we drove 240 miles of highway and went out in the desert all day and they did extremely well, he offered to give me his old tires, I did a quick Photoshop, lol they kinda fit - with a 2 inch lift the 265 6517 would fit, the front would also fit with a 2-4 inch lift but would probably need wheel spacers and modifications to the fender guards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far I've been able to tackle any of the hundreds of hills in the BLM as long as they are used by factory jeeps, Silverados, Tacoma's and other other similar vehicles. I want bigger tires so if it rains and washes the road out or to handle the roads I come across that have been in a minor slide aka sharp rocks and ruts

Attachments

·
Banned
609 Posts
I would never use my HR-V (my car) for 4 wheeling without a Lo range. They are NOT a 4 x 4. Honda geared every HR-V the way they come for a reason. Oversize tires may look better, but that is about it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool story but your cross over utility vehicle that has ground clearance for softroading also has a low and traction off for dealing with softroad conditions. The not a 4wd system is good enough to run Baja with the Ridgeline and bigger tires, my friend Gary was the driver and I know the guys at hondata who tuned it on scts dynos, they did nothing but sharpen the shifts and tune for boltons, I only know all about how they kicked the raptors ass even though they were cheating by replacing the frame with chromonoly because there factory ones bend and the unibody on the Honda did not...so buy another car then I guess if you think they are better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Different people have different tastes. I love my HRV and have different plans for it than simply driving it (it doesn’t end at simply swapping tires) The OEM tires suffered a lot on Sacramento roads, which is why it was swapped first, and hopefully now it’ll drive better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The suspension is quite stiff on the hrv too, I've actually considered taking it to a local autox just to see it's limits at cornering. I did this with my RL after head engineer said it was better around there home track than the v6 Accord at the time and it did extremely well. All of Honda's mondern cars are built for handling well though. I'm going to raise mine 1 inch - 1.7 total with the tires because that would clear all the random stuff I tend to come across offroad without trying to do off trails. I can't wait for the snow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tfl truck was able to get a 2015 up there toughest trail which is at altitude, they have gotten better than this since then so I have no doubt with at tires you could do this at a crawl with no momentum.

·
Banned
609 Posts
Circuit, Do understand the difference between four wheel drive & AWD? Your video showed NOTHING that a four wheel drive would even lock in the front wheels for. You would be wise to listen more and quit talking with your big words a little. You are free to do what you want..Honda repair shops could use the work

·
Registered
136 Posts
My thoughts are that the HRV is not really meant for even mild off-road but that's only my opinion and I would never dissuade anyone from doing whatever they want with it.

As I mentioned in Circuitsports over-sized tire thread, I would recommend monitoring the CVT trans temp in low speed hill climbing or trail riding.
The torque converter is unlocked and slipping for that kind of driving and it's generating heat.
A manual trans would be much better for any kind of off-road.

The 16inch tall profile off-road type tires are interesting. Way more durable than the factory Michelins!
I don't think there is any way of reprogramming the ECU to correct the speedo/odo yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is speedo correction methods available and the ecu is being worked on
Circuit, Do understand the difference between four wheel drive & AWD? Your video showed NOTHING that a four wheel drive would even lock in the front wheels for. You would be wise to listen more and quit talking with your big words a little. You are free to do what you want..Honda repair shops could use the work
You talk about words but can't use them to explain how the hrv which made it up tfls toughest test hill they use for all other vehicles like the 4wd Rubicon is somehow so inferior as to not even bother with tires. I know how it works better than you because I've actually used it to it's limits in a number of vehicles in a number of different circumstances. I never called it a rock climber bro, thanks for nothing. For everyone else the AWD is front biased, with rear being biased as needed. On the rl that meant an open front diff and electronic rear.

The front biased AWD has been around for many years and in traction realted situations it's pretty damn good, this cross trek uses the version from 2006, I doubt a factory jeep from that year would do so well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whenever I do tire changes or ecu tuning I verify the speedo against gps up to 80, there are free apps on the Google play store that do this well. Most Speedos are off around 2%, the ktuner tsx map was off 7% and I used gps to correct it.

According to Tire Rack your grabbers are 28.1 diameter and the factory tires are 26.3 so you should have gained half of that in height .9 inches. I would really like to do the CTG in 245 65 17 which are 29.1 but the width may be an issue without at least 2 inches lift.

The awd system and unibody is a direct descendant of the version that won it's class at the Baja 1000 - they also added bigger tires for ground clearance and grip to help it. - that year the RL beat a Hummer h3, FJ Cruiser, and a Dodge ram - the next year they did even better - unfortunately the class cheating was too much and they went to a higher class with so much more HP that the awd system can't handle baja anymore at those speeds and tq levels, they did end up runing the MDX SH-AWD at some point as it replaced the front and center units with electronic ones.

"While we've been liveblogging the inaugural run of Ford's F-150 Raptor R race truck in the 41st SCORE Baja 1000 race in Baja, Mexico, Honda race driver Gavin Skilton and his #779 Ridgeline racked up their first-ever Baja 1000 victory, in the Stock Mini Class.
This year's Baja 1000 Stock Mini Class was extremely competitive, though there were only a few entrants. Fighting the #779 Ridgeline hardest were racers Rod Hall in the #760 Hummer H3 SUV and Ryan Millen in the #762 Toyota FJ Cruiser. According to the gripping post-race account on Rod Hall Racing's blog, Skilton and Millen traded the first and second spots for most of the race until the FJ hit a boulder that ripped its front end off a few miles from the finish line. Skilton got stuck in silt up to the Ridgeline's doors just after the FJ's wipeout. This gave Hall a chance to gain lost ground, until Mopar driver Kent Kroeker and his Stock full-size #862 Dodge Ram pulled the #779 Ridgeline out of the sand. Skilton flew from there to victory. Hall snagged the overall season title in the SCORE Stock Mini Class.

The Ridgeline completed the grueling desert endurance race in 21 hours, 22 minutes, at an average speed of 29.54 mph.
The Honda Ridgeline unibody pickup has been racing in the Baja 1000 since 2005. Most of the truck remains stock except for the front and rear suspensions. Custom King springs and shocks are attached to fit the stock MacPherson strut front suspension and multilink independent rear end. The 3.5-liter V-6 and five-speed automatic transmission have been tweaked by Honda Racing. The driveline uses the Ridgeline's standard variable torque management four-wheel-drive system.
Congratulations on the Baja 1000 win, Honda and Gavin Skilton!"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up getting General Grabbers AT2 at 215/70r16, they were delivered yesterday. Overall I feel like the car gained both height and ride quality. Sure it’s slightly noisier due to the aggressive treads but they work great so I’m happy. I took off the dealer installed mud flaps but I’ll put them back on since nothing is rubbing. View attachment 29817
HI THERE, im planning on doing something like that with my hrv, but im worried about contact or rubing on the front wheels during close turns,
how is it going to you on that issue??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts