Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2016 Honda HRV. My smart entry dash warning light came on. Key fob battery did seem to be getting a bit slow. I bought a new battery for it. But when I got in the car after buying the battery, the light had gone off. I replaced the battery anyway because it was nearly two years old. Thought all was fine but light has come on and gone off two more times. Right now it is currently off. I know if I bring it to the dealer and there are no symptoms of a problem, they will say everything is fine and charge me for telling me that. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same issue. It came on for a few days so I went to the dealership and they think its the Car Start Button. So they ordered the part but I am still waiting for the call. The light went off a few days after and never came back on. You should get it checked at the dealership if you still under warranty.

Here's what I found online.
http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/19527-honda-smart-key-system-check/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the most maddening time with the dealership trying to figure this out. First the code came up as the control access box as failing. Then it kept coming on after the fix. The changed key fobs, batteries, got a whole new car battery. Finally the latest fix has been replacing the start/stop button. This has finally taken care of the problem. It's been maddening, but it seems like there are plenty of HRV owners that have had this same problem. But not enough that all of the dealerships know about it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for confirming its an issue with the Start Button.
I had the most maddening time with the dealership trying to figure this out. First the code came up as the control access box as failing. Then it kept coming on after the fix. The changed key fobs, batteries, got a whole new car battery. Finally the latest fix has been replacing the start/stop button. This has finally taken care of the problem. It's been maddening, but it seems like there are plenty of HRV owners that have had this same problem. But not enough that all of the dealerships know about it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife had the light come on today. She is hoping that it will start when she leaves work today. Will this indicator effect starting or driving the car. Is it something that is urgent or could wait till the weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m out of warranty. What was the cost on replacing the start/stop button?

·
Administrator
1,977 Posts
$25 to $500

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
679 Posts
When mine didn't want to start, I pushed the start button with the fob and it worked everytime.
That sounds like the procedure to start the car when the fob is really low on battery.

Which makes me wonder if the PTS button also has an antennae to detect the fob, and maybe something is failing with the circuitry in the button.

I mean, a fob with decent battery strength can probably be picked up at close range with a bad antennae, similar to a fob with low battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife had the light come on today. She is hoping that it will start when she leaves work today. Will this indicator effect starting or driving the car. Is it something that is urgent or could wait till the weekend.
You can start the car even if the battery is dead on the FOB. You hold the FOB up to the start button a few seconds and then push to start. There is a chip inside that operates without a battery.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
679 Posts
You can start the car even if the battery is dead on the FOB. You hold the FOB up to the start button a few seconds and then push to start. There is a chip inside that operates without a battery.
That assumes the issue is a dead battery in the FOB.

If you read the full thread, you would know that the issue could be in the start/stop button itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I realize that. Some people don't know that they can still start the car even when the battery is dead on the FOB.
Few months ago I got Smart entry problem yellow key and stayed on . Every fresh start cleared the problem but appeared again and again. Now , after cleaning my car battery terminal leaked battery deposits , the light does not show frequently. Once in a way it shows up. It is time to install a new car battery 4 yrs old. As suggested above I plan too to install a new start button if a new battery does not help to get rid of the issue. Hope for the success.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As I posted before, I had my warning light come on virtually every time I started the car. After the battery had been flatted 3 times, I replaced the battery in the car hoping that would help. Nope.
I ordered a replacement ignition switch through Aliexpress. It has the identical numbers and markings as the OEM part. https://tinyurl.com/y3cjrddu Notice the price! $23 vs $150.
10 minutes and boom...that light won't bother me for awhile.
Been in the car about 3 weeks..all good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Few months ago I got Smart entry problem yellow key and stayed on . Every fresh start cleared the problem but appeared again and again. Now , after cleaning my car battery terminal leaked battery deposits , the light does not show frequently. Once in a way it shows up. It is time to install a new car battery 4 yrs old. As suggested above I plan too to install a new start button if a new battery does not help to get rid of the issue. Hope for the success.
Two days ago a new Honda Battery was installed after cleaning the battery terminals. The smart entry Problem is solved. Start push button seems more effective now. No yellow key icon shows up now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I have a 2016 Honda HRV. My smart entry dash warning light came on. Key fob battery did seem to be getting a bit slow. I bought a new battery for it. But when I got in the car after buying the battery, the light had gone off. I replaced the battery anyway because it was nearly two years old. Thought all was fine but light has come on and gone off two more times. Right now it is currently off. I know if I bring it to the dealer and there are no symptoms of a problem, they will say everything is fine and charge me for telling me that. Has anyone experienced this?
Just read my update under KS. I installed original Honda Car battery. Make sure your Fob battery has required volts.if not change it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts