Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen this discussion on the forum (time of 1st oil change) so I thought I'd search for it. Can't use "1st" - too short, can't use "oil" - too short, can't use "first" too common. (Never to let a programmer make a final decision on what's allowed is a good rule of thumb which, unfortunately, is seldom followed.)

Anyway, I'm at 12,000 kilometers (7,200 miles) and 30% with a 3,000 kilometer (1,800 mile) trip coming up next week. Wonder if it would be best to do the change now or wait till I get back. Or does it matter?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know I've seen this discussion on the forum (time of 1st oil change) so I thought I'd search for it. Can't use "1st" - too short, can't use "oil" - too short, can't use "first" too common. (Never to let a programmer make a final decision on what's allowed is a good rule of thumb which, unfortunately, is seldom followed.)

Anyway, I'm at 12,000 kilometers (7,200 miles) and 30% with a 3,000 kilometer (1,800 mile) trip coming up next week. Wonder if it would be best to do the change now or wait till I get back. Or does it matter?
To me, it really doesn't matter. I think you could easily wait until you got back home from your trip.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

I have used the same forum software on other platforms, and that's just the way the indexing works. There may be an admin setting that allows setting the minimum length of a string to be indexed, but this has impacts on indexing time, performance, and space. It's a tradeoff.

There are two work-arounds:

1) Append the * wildcard to the end of a 3-char search term; e.g., 1st* oil* change

2) Use Google's site: qualifier; e.g. site:hrvforum.com 1st oil change

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Selden, you're absolutely right, as usual. I was just blowing off some steam. And I shouldn't have implied the problem was unique to this forum. Few if any forums write their own software and I've also seen it on other forums and seen worse too. As you indicate, Google is the best way to search any forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts