Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, this may sound really dumb, but coming from a 2004 accord, I have no clue.

Do you need to be stopped when shifting between sport and drive,
Or can you shift on the highway?

Thanks to all of you I have been playing with the modes a bit, but wanted your answer before I did something bad ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, it can't be too bad as I've not broke it yet trying that! Not used sport mode much at all, but I did use it last night just playing and I shifted it into sport while driving no problem, then shifted back out when at speed. I can see me using it when I'm passing on two lane roads so the engine is spinning up before I hit the gas to pass.

It just felt like it kicked down a "gear" when I dropped it into sport.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- playing yesterday I thought how awesome it would be for highway merging etc- to me it just made the engine/shifting feel tighter.
There's a hill by my house where I wouldn't mind the extra shot of power

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sport mode just keeps the RPMs closer to the meat of the powerband, so it's fine to toggle it on and off whenever. It's functionally no different from giving the throttle a quick stab to bring up the RPMs.

I'll add too that at full throttle, sport mode and regular mode are identical; both will keep the engine spinning at the appropriate speed for optimal power. Sport mode just quickens the delivery because it tightens up the throttle response and has the engine revving higher to begin with.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so strange to me that you can "shift" an automatic. Used to lower drives and all, but it is certainly a whole new world today

So much to learn

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just another option to remember...you don't even have to shift down to Sport mode to use the paddle shifters. If you need that quick power just downshift with the paddle, even when in Drive and the CVT will go down to the next "gear". However, it will not hold the gear like in Sport mode. After you accelerate it will switch back to Drive mode.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Are people using paddle shift when going up or down hills, e.g., to assist in climbs and then on the downhills to keep wear off the brakes?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have only used the Sport mode and paddle shifters during one drive that we took out in the rural, winding and hilly roads. Not that the HR-V is a sports car, but being able to control the "gear" and rpm's made the twisty roads more entertaining. As people much smarter than me have said, it can be more fun to go fast in a slow car than to go slow in your fast car.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Sport mode

People say the HRV is slow....yea in D, Eco mode, but I have been driving with a heavy foot to the metal in Sport mode without Eco on and I must say that our HRV is pretty **** fast, especially with paddle shifters!

Turn off Eco mode, buddies...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I only use it to change lanes and beat traffic from a stop light. When manual shifting isn't activated, it put's the engine at the right RPM and makes HRV feel like it's just waiting to take off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In regular D mode I can easily reach 6000 rpm in regular traffic. As with 1SlowHRV, I'll put it in S mode if I need acceleration from a standing stop. At highway speeds there's plenty of passsing power in D mode.

If I want fun I'll use the paddle shifters. The loud engine noise shocks the cars around you when you pass them. For those that aren't aware that the HRV is slow, they tend to want to challenge you in their bimmers, mustangs, etc. The option to re-live the boy racer street days is there, if only temporarily.

I've forgotten about that ECON button, as I've been getting good gas mileage. Maybe I'll try it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sport mode is fun, but the only time I have found it particularly useful is tearing around tight mountain roads where I want to keep the engine between 4000-6000 rpm; that is, I don't want it upshifting when I get off the gas. Other than that, there is very little difference in performance, although the driving experience can be considerable because I have full control over shift points in Sport mode.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am looking forward to driving my HRV in warm/hot/dry condtions. I've only driven it in winter conditions with 16inch Michelin X-Ice winter tires and I would imagine switching back to the stock tires for the summer will provide a different driving experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use sport mode to warm up the car faster on really cold days. Otherwise the car almost never gets above 2000 rpm's and takes forever to warm up. S mode keeps it above 2500 rpms. It still takes a while to warm up. Thankfully the heated seats help a lot. Hurts gas mileage though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find this post interesting. Here's why. All I hear from reviewers and some owners is how slow and "underpowered" the car is. Not to mention, most professional reviewers comment how rough and loud the engine is. I pretty much dismissed this car until I ran across one of my favorite Youtube reviewers (Sam Haymart/Test driven TV). He was driving the CX3 and commented how rough and loud the engine was in the Mazda compared to the HRV. So, I went out and test drove both back to back. Turns out he was right and most other reviewers were just wrong. I finally took my HRV home today. To put it in perspective, I traded my modded 2014 Civic Si. With that being said, I really don't find the HRV underpowered nor is the R18 rough in anyway. I also found the Sport mode and paddle shifting to be just the ticket for getting the R18 in the meat of its powerband. Mind you, it is brand new so I am not going over 4000 rpm just yet. Is it a Si? No, and I don't expect it to be. In fact, I am delighted by its handling capabilities. Sure, the steering feed back is lacking but it corners great and dare I say, It is still a fun machine indeed. Certainly all you need for a daily commuter and haul'n the kids to and fro. Life is what you make of it. Apply that to the car you drive. I had just as much fun in my 1st gen 100hp Fit as I did in my 240hp S2000.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I find this post interesting. Here's why. All I hear from reviewers and some owners is how slow and "underpowered" the car is. Not to mention, most professional reviewers comment how rough and loud the engine is. I pretty much dismissed this car until I ran across one of my favorite Youtube reviewers (Sam Haymart/Test driven TV). He was driving the CX3 and commented how rough and loud the engine was in the Mazda compared to the HRV. So, I went out and test drove both back to back. Turns out he was right and most other reviewers were just wrong. I finally took my HRV home today. To put it in perspective, I traded my modded 2014 Civic Si. With that being said, I really don't find the HRV underpowered nor is the R18 rough in anyway. I also found the Sport mode and paddle shifting to be just the ticket for getting the R18 in the meat of its powerband. Mind you, it is brand new so I am not going over 4000 rpm just yet. Is it a Si? No, and I don't expect it to be. In fact, I am delighted by its handling capabilities. Sure, the steering feed back is lacking but it corners great and dare I say, It is still a fun machine indeed. Certainly all you need for a daily commuter and haul'n the kids to and fro. Life is what you make of it. Apply that to the car you drive. I had just as much fun in my 1st gen 100hp Fit as I did in my 240hp S2000.
I agree. You made the right choice on getting the HRV! It is a great balance of everything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The loud engine noise shocks the cars around you when you pass them.
This is what makes me nervous about using sport mode (it's new to me) as it sounds as though the revs are crazy high and something bad is about to happen so I assumed I was doing something wrong (I only tried it a couple of times). Is it normal for it to sound so rough? I believe I saw someone say it's not possible to do any damage by over revv'ing?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts