Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Over reving? It cant blow the motor or anything (rev limiter) just holds the gears to higher revs i do see this as beating on it and kills your gas mileage but sport mode is great for on ramps stop lights and when your late for work

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This is what makes me nervous about using sport mode (it's new to me) as it sounds as though the revs are crazy high and something bad is about to happen so I assumed I was doing something wrong (I only tried it a couple of times). Is it normal for it to sound so rough? I believe I saw someone say it's not possible to do any damage by over revv'ing?
Don't worry about it for 2 reasons:

1) All modern engines have rev-limiters, which cut the ignition before the engine can reach a speed that would cause damage. I haven't hit the rev limiter yet on the HR-V, but on most vehicles, it's a somewhat disturbing sensation, as the ignition cuts/restores power rapidly. If I had to guess, there is a 1000 rpm cushion between when the limiter cuts in and when there would be any danger of valve train damage.

2) For as long as I can remember, Honda engines have been designed to deliver power through revs. I had a 1965 Honda CB92 motorcycle, a 125 cc twin, and while it had very little power below 5000 rpms, keeping it between 6000 and 10,000 (rev limit was 10,500) was surprisingly entertaining for such a tiny engine. I put 20,000 miles on it without any issues. More modern motorcycles have RPM limits as high as 16,000 rpm, and F1 race engines have been known to turn as fast as 20,000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I retraced a mountain route that I drove as fast as prudently possible on a public highway several months ago at a more restrained pace, with a passenger today. Last time, 27 mpg in sport mode, pedal to the metal whenever possible; today, 37 mpg in D, paddling 7>4 downshifts to decelerate for turns. Still lots of fun.

·
Banned
355 Posts
I retraced a mountain route that I drove as fast as prudently possible on a public highway several months ago at a more restrained pace, with a passenger today. Last time, 27 mpg in sport mode, pedal to the metal whenever possible; today, 37 mpg in D, paddling 7>4 downshifts to decelerate for turns. Still lots of fun.
I have never devoted a full tank in sport mode, but 27 mpg is pretty good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sport mode

People say the HRV is slow....yea in D, Eco mode, but I have been driving with a heavy foot to the metal in Sport mode without Eco on and I must say that our HRV is pretty **** fast, especially with paddle shifters!

Turn off Eco mode, buddies...
can I drive in sports mode without messing with paddle shifters?

·
Registered
23 Posts
From page 338 of the manual:

The shift mode goes into the 7-speed manual shift mode. The M indicator and the
speed are displayed in the shift indicator. As the vehicle speed slows down,
the transmission automatically shifts down accordingly. When the vehicle comes to
a stop, it automatically shifts down into 1st.
If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s
red zone, the transmission automatically shifts up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I find this post interesting. Here's why. All I hear from reviewers and some owners is how slow and "underpowered" the car is. Not to mention, most professional reviewers comment how rough and loud the engine is. I pretty much dismissed this car until I ran across one of my favorite Youtube reviewers (Sam Haymart/Test driven TV). He was driving the CX3 and commented how rough and loud the engine was in the Mazda compared to the HRV. So, I went out and test drove both back to back. Turns out he was right and most other reviewers were just wrong. I finally took my HRV home today. To put it in perspective, I traded my modded 2014 Civic Si. With that being said, I really don't find the HRV underpowered nor is the R18 rough in anyway. I also found the Sport mode and paddle shifting to be just the ticket for getting the R18 in the meat of its powerband. Mind you, it is brand new so I am not going over 4000 rpm just yet. Is it a Si? No, and I don't expect it to be. In fact, I am delighted by its handling capabilities. Sure, the steering feed back is lacking but it corners great and dare I say, It is still a fun machine indeed. Certainly all you need for a daily commuter and haul'n the kids to and fro. Life is what you make of it. Apply that to the car you drive. I had just as much fun in my 1st gen 100hp Fit as I did in my 240hp S2000.

Were you ever part of the New England group in S2Ki? Former AP1 owner here.......

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
can I drive in sports mode without messing with paddle shifters?
Yes, you can, but you as soon as you mess a shifter, you will have to shift up to change gears. My wife doesn't know how it works or when to shift gears, so she only uses it to go up hills then changes it back to "D".

·
Registered
92 Posts
My sport mode is permanently stuck on (6 sp manual ):)!! Shifting at 4k rpm's makes the HR-v feel just as sporty as my Mini Clubman was, but then the gas mileage drops to 26mpg around town. Shifting at 3k makes the car feel a bit slow (like econ mode), but mpg's shoot up to 34. The engine is rough between 3-4k rpm, but then smooths out again when kept up high above 4k and feels pretty nice. When I work late and come home with empty roads I can really drive hard and change the cars personality. It's been surprisingly fun and I wish the road testers would just push the car a bit and discover it's full talents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it’s over reving in sport mode, tap the right shifter.

I find sport mode greatly improves the smoothness of adaptive cruise control, which is unacceptably rough in Drive.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts