Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the sales game just keeps getting stranger...

My SO and I were listening to the price presentation and it seemed a bit high ...

On his screen I could see $1800 for "accessories"... (CAD dollars, mind).

What's that? I ask....

Well, it's a wheel lock nut set, a set of steel wheels and winter tires. And as a bonus we'll store your wheels for you for free for 1 year!

No thanks.

But of course once you remove that fat profit maker from them there is absolutely no bargaining room left. Insanely expensive rust proofing package was only tempered down by adding a Tag antitheft system. I let her decide but I'm not all that pleased with the negotiation.

We were actually looking to get the pre sales tax package to $30,000 as that allows the sales taxes to be depreciated as well as the capital (Canadian depreciation rule 10.1 since about 2020). (My SO uses her car as her office - on the road a lot - scrapped her Honda Fit on Friday - no injuries other than pride...).

The offered extended warranties didn't fit her use case very well either. So she'll "self warranty".

Full financing 4 years (1.49%) rather than paying for it out of pocket. We figure inflation is about to kick hard, so there will be other investment opportunities for that cash that are much better than 1.5%....). Plus the insurance will come in too....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seems like the sales game just keeps getting stranger...

My SO and I were listening to the price presentation and it seemed a bit high ...

On his screen I could see $1800 for "accessories"... (CAD dollars, mind).

What's that? I ask....

Well, it's a wheel lock nut set, a set of steel wheels and winter tires. And as a bonus we'll store your wheels for you for free for 1 year!

No thanks.

But of course once you remove that fat profit maker from them there is absolutely no bargaining room left. Insanely expensive rust proofing package was only tempered down by adding a Tag antitheft system. I let her decide but I'm not all that pleased with the negotiation.

We were actually looking to get the pre sales tax package to $30,000 as that allows the sales taxes to be depreciated as well as the capital (Canadian depreciation rule 10.1 since about 2020). (My SO uses her car as her office - on the road a lot - scrapped her Honda Fit on Friday - no injuries other than pride...).

The offered extended warranties didn't fit her use case very well either. So she'll "self warranty".

Full financing 4 years (1.49%) rather than paying for it out of pocket. We figure inflation is about to kick hard, so there will be other investment opportunities for that cash that are much better than 1.5%....). Plus the insurance will come in too....
I was having my car serviced last week and stopped by and talked to the Salesman that sold me the car 2+ yrs. ago. They have very few cars on the lot. I asked him how he was making any money with the shortage and he told me last month was the best month he has ever had. He said the cars are sold before they get to the dealer! I would take it to mean they are selling them for a premium.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
430 Posts
This doesn't just have an affect on new vehicles;

BBC News - Why the banger on your drive is suddenly worth a lot more

(ONS : Office for National Statistics)

Or just cars;

BBC News - Used commercial vans in short supply as demand rises

I've just seen a similar aged and specced model to mine being sold by Honda UK for £14,500. I paid £12k for mine last year when it was a year younger with 2 of the remaining 5 Year Service Plan, and I got around £500 in accessories thrown in.

We are living in strange times....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, and no.

After observing the £2,500 price increase, I thought I'd see how much I'd get for mine, you know, just for shitz'n'gigglez, and I was offered slightly over £9k from one of those 'WeBuyYourCar' sites, which just so happens to be owned by a major bank.

So I'd say it was a case of supply and demand with an extremely large soupçon of exploitation.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No one is forcing you to buy the car and if someone were stupid enough to fall for that $1800 accessory, then they deserve to get ripped off. I am definitely not defending dealerships, but the market has changed. And it is a seller’s market at the moment. It might be the worst possible time to buy a car in the last 5 years. New or used. Supply is low…

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just received an email from the 'webuy' site, stating they have revised my initial offer from £9,200 to.......£11,000, obviously before deductions and assessment.

If I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would be tempted as it would greatly decrease my Price to Change - by law dealers cannot charge more than list price on new vehicles.

Nearly New and Previously Owned, is a different matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts