Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hennessy Honda of Woodstock the HR-V had a huge markups and a ADM of 1000. ADM is a dealer markup. It was within a few $ of buying a CR-V after adding all the add ons. Gouging may be legal but is not customer service.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All those wealthy, retired Braves' wives want HR-Vs I guess. ;)

$2000 dealer mark-ups exist at several Long Island and northern New Jersey dealers in suburban NYC.

Dealers use some euphemism for it and justify it by saying: new, hot car/ limited availability. It's a signal to move to another dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Manual LX was marked up to almost $23,000 - almost a full $3k (at the Torrance Scott Robinson in LA)! They used the "new/hot car" excuse as well. Had them bring it down to $22,000 - figured might as well get it since it was their only manual transmission. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Your shocked? Its a brand new vehicle with alot of demand and doesn't hurt it is the up and coming category as consumer are more and more getting out of cars. You want it, you pay it or walk. No biggie.

Hennessy Honda of Woodstock the HR-V had a huge markups and a ADM of 1000. ADM is a dealer markup. It was within a few $ of buying a CR-V after adding all the add ons. Gouging may be legal but is not customer service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda has a winning with the HRV at sticker prices. When the dealers start adding fees, etc is no longer a bargain. The industry does need a crossover 2000-3000 below the cost of the CRV and Toyota Rav4.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Your shocked? Its a brand new vehicle with alot of demand and doesn't hurt it is the up and coming category as consumer are more and more getting out of cars. You want it, you pay it or walk. No biggie.
But it's not good long run customer relations.

Needless-to-say, if the HR-V really is that popular, then not raising the price will result in a waiting period ... at which point the dealer will find it easier to justify the increase.

As the service departments could care less where you purchased your car, then cars.com and a one-way bus, plane, train ticket might be considered. (Make sure you have the sales/use tax lined-up.)

Maine dealers charge inflated "documentation fees" and tack on "mandatory options." New Hampshire dealers charge bare-bones doc fees, include no unrequested options, and appear to lure over many Massachusetts and Maine buyers.

Finally, cars.com indicates discounts are possible on RAV-4s, CR-Vs, etc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Honda has a winning with the HRV at sticker prices. When the dealers start adding fees, etc is no longer a bargain. The industry does need a crossover 2000-3000 below the cost of the CRV and Toyota Rav4.
There are several dealers out there that give them all a bad name. My dealer has been a pleasure to work with so far and were selling at MSRP.

I long for the day I can jump online and order a car. I want to have the experience of seeing it on the truck, getting off-loaded and having the opportunity to unwrap everything myself. I think the bond between owner and vehicle would be stronger that way. [/off topic rant]

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are several dealers out there that give them all a bad name. My dealer has been a pleasure to work with so far and were selling at MSRP.

I long for the day I can jump online and order a car. I want to have the experience of seeing it on the truck, getting off-loaded and having the opportunity to unwrap everything myself. I think the bond between owner and vehicle would be stronger that way. [/off topic rant]
This is what the gold miners said back in the day, when shopping for a wife.....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Great point; up to the individual consumer to decide what is best based on their own need. ;)

The CRV was discounted down to 22,400. I think the CRV is a better crossover. A big selling point is the 1,500 lbs towing with the CRV. The HRV is not recommended for towing.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
But think back, this happens with any vehicle in history that is in demand; I recall when the Miata first came out, it was getting $10,000-$15,000 ABOVE MSRP and people were paying it with no questions asked.

The Law of Supply and Demand. :nerd:

But it's not good long run customer relations.

Needless-to-say, if the HR-V really is that popular, then not raising the price will result in a waiting period ... at which point the dealer will find it easier to justify the increase.

As the service departments could care less where you purchased your car, then cars.com and a one-way bus, plane, train ticket might be considered. (Make sure you have the sales/use tax lined-up.)

Maine dealers charge inflated "documentation fees" and tack on "mandatory options." New Hampshire dealers charge bare-bones doc fees, include no unrequested options, and appear to lure over many Massachusetts and Maine buyers.

Finally, cars.com indicates discounts are possible on RAV-4s, CR-Vs, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My closest dealer gave me a quote for $2,200 above MSRP. And they didn't even have what I wanted in stock. So I found a dealer out of state and paid MSRP to get exactly what I want, plus a $50 gas card. I get that it's supply and demand, but I agree that it's stupid for long-term customer retention. I surely won't be taking my new HR-V there for service. And I'll never buy a vehicle from them.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
But remember, its all about choices. The HRV is of whatever it means to each consumer. For some, they want something more unique instead of seeing a CRV on every corner, others it will be the size, others it will be the sportier appearance, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, people paid $10,000 or more above MSRP on the Miata when it first came out. For them, they wanted that vehicle and no other convertible, so every penny they paid to them was worth it. This is just one vehicle where pricing well above MSRP has occurred, but the HRV will not be the last. One person should not be judged one way or another simple because it goes against someone else's view or opinion. ;)

When you pay more for the HRV than the CRV you were shafted. No way the HRV is a better vehicle than the CRV.

·
Registered
805 Posts
But think back, this happens with any vehicle in history that is in demand; I recall when the Miata first came out, it was getting $10,000-$15,000 ABOVE MSRP and people were paying it with no questions asked. The Law of Supply and Demand. :nerd:
I think lust may supersede staid ol' Supply and Demand. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
My closest dealer gave me a quote for $2,200 above MSRP. And they didn't even have what I wanted in stock. So I found a dealer out of state and paid MSRP to get exactly what I want, plus a $50 gas card. I get that it's supply and demand, but I agree that it's stupid for long-term customer retention. I surely won't be taking my new HR-V there for service. And I'll never buy a vehicle from them.
Great points! If more consumers do this, those dealers who are trying to make a "killing", will end up getting "killed".

Once inventory levels are normal, they will think back to the days when they could have gotten MSRP, and ask themselves "why was I so greedy". Now I don't have any customers and if I can't sell a car soon, I won't have a job".

Consumers Unite! Stop the rape of the customer, one sale at a time. Don't, no "Refuse", to pay one dime more than MSRP.

Also, buy your simple accessories cheaper online, and never finance your floor mats!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have purchased several new cars out of state, and at least one recently out of city (but the same state). Once, a dealer flew me to Atlanta, on his dime, so I could purchase and drive back in a new Volvo. Another time (also a Volvo), the dealer drove the car from Louisville to Nashville, and had me sign the paperwork in my front yard.

Do what you must do, go where you must go, just don't pay one dime more than MSRP!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts