Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 2020 HRV EX model with a little less than 5k miles.

I started noticing upon cold start ups that it makes some kind of whining noise that lasts for 1-2 minutes then goes away when the engine is warm. (Like an airplane sound...)

I've read about a secondary air pump but don't know if thats a common sound for it.

Does anyone here has experienced this sound?

Thanks!

Noise video links:

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2020 HRV EX model with a little less than 5k miles.

I started noticing upon cold start ups that it makes some kind of whining noise that lasts for 1-2 minutes then goes away when the engine is warm. (Like an airplane sound...)

I've read about a secondary air pump but don't know if thats a common sound for it.

Does anyone here has experienced this sound?

Thanks!

Noise video links:

It sounds like a pulley (Alternator, Water pump, AC, etc.) Your HRV should still be under warranty so I would take it to the dealer and they can listen to it with an automotive stethoscope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a pulley (Alternator, Water pump, AC, etc.) Your HRV should still be under warranty so I would take it to the dealer and they can listen to it with an automotive stethoscope.
I bought it at Copart, so I don't have any warranty. The hrv had only side door damage, which I replaced for new parts. (No engine or suspension damage, it was run and drive)

I got it in my country about 2 months ago, and did oil change, checked spark plugs and everything.

The hrv hasn't had much use for almost a year (since it got to Copart for auction)... Could this noise also be because of that? Or because the fuel got old? I mixed it with new high octane gas but it probably is still a bit low.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have the things you mencioned checked and give it more use, since I'm still waiting for the licence plates to be able to use it daily.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Mine has made that sound since new on startup too but the duration is about thirty seconds. I don’t think mine is as loud but that may be because you’re under the hood (bonnet) and I hear it from inside the car. My car is now nine months old with 15,000 miles (24,000 km). I’ve had no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has made that sound since new on startup too but the duration is about thirty seconds. I don’t think mine is as loud but that may be because you’re under the hood (bonnet) and I hear it from inside the car. My car is now nine months old with 15,000 miles (24,000 km). I’ve had no problems.
Yeah, the video sounds really loud because it's in a closed garage, but outside it's not loud at all. Probably it's normal in this model, also a slight knock between 1500 and 2000 rpms (really low "knock") when driving at night with no other sounds, I have a good ear. Did the compressions check and everything great, no codes... probably low octane fuel due to the car been without use for almost a year since the auction and not beel able to use and refuel it for waiting plates.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts