Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in the HRV but a major deciding factor will be what maximum length surfboard (longboard) would fit inside the car? I have only seen measurements from the rear hatch to the rear seat, but regrettably no measurements from the rear hatch to the windshield above the dashboard (with back 60-40 seat and the passenger seat down). Also what would the maximum length be if the board is angled from the rear hatch left corner to the front window right corner?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
467 Posts
When I tip the rear seat backs forward, slide the front seat forward, tip the front seat back down AND remove the front seat headrest, the max lenghth is 9'3"....if you need more length,, you need a roof rack

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would have thought it would be more than 9'3". Did you measure all the way from glass to glass? I'm thinking if the front passenger seat is laid down towards the back seat you could rest the surfboard on the dash, and have a bit more length.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I was looking to buy a new kayak- I wanted to transport it inside the HR-V without the hassle of tying down to a roof rack. I could not get a 10 foot in, but I believe 9 foot 5 -6 inches will fit, but will come up next to the windshield. I opted for a 9 foot 1 inch. Be sure to put a towel or foam up against the front end so it wont break the windshield. You need to have the back seats down flat , push the passenger seat forward as far it can go, take off passenger head rest & fold the seat back all the way down and lay the kayak/board at a diagonal. 9 foot 1 inch rests just below the dash at the corner of window/dash. If you lay the board on the dash you will have more room- but 10 feet will not work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only things I have ever needed to strap to the roof of my HR-V were:
4'x8' sheets of plywood and drywall
6 full size solar panels (I got bored after stuffing the other 6 inside)
One box from a large Ikea purchase, with myself, two passengers, and the rest of the purchase inside the car

My recommendation is this: You won't need to use the roof very often, but if you think you might, it's best to buy one with the rails installed. I installed my own rails (they weren't available on EX prior to 2019 and I didn't want leather seats in the Texas summer), but if you don't have the tools I wouldn't recommend it. Cross bars you can buy for pretty cheap if you look (I think I spent like $90 for mine on Amazon) and easy to install, so you don't even need to buy those with the car.

My HR-V is basically my truck. For my friends, I'm the "friend with a truck" when they need stuff moved. One time I even drove around with about a thousand pounds of stone in the back and myself and a passenger in front. I wouldn't recommend doing that because the engine's not particularly powerful, but it's good to know you could if you needed to.

When the Lowe's around the corner from us closed down, we loaded up - we got a vanity, shower door, shower walls, and a bunch of stuff we probably didn't actually need. When I asked for help loading it up after pulling my car to the door, the employees asked where my truck was. Then proceeded the game of them repeatedly asking "are you sure that's gonna fit?" as I stuff an improbable amount of stuff in the back while still keeping the front passenger seat usable.

Oh, last thing: as you shop around, make sure you compare the size of the opening on different cars' rear hatches, because that will affect what fits inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic, thank you for sharing your experiences! My longest board is a 9ʻ3ʻʻ, so it looks like it fits inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts