Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, I like the gas mileage and the ride and handling are very similar. I didn't need the larger CRV. My wife still has a CRV (2019) and we'll have a while to evaluate whether she continues with it, which she probably will. We always get the LX as we don't care for the frills and extra cost.
C1A998E0-7B29-41B9-B79C-EC3D0552D88E.jpeg

I was surprised to learn that the gasoline tank is right under the driver, which worries me a bit. I have had it one month, 700 miles and I am averaging 31.5 mpg driving in suburban setting albeit carefully.

I do notice that I feel things like RR tracks and bumps a little more than I did with CRV, so I just slow down.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
270 Posts
If it puts your mind at rest the HR-V has been extensively tested around the world since its launch in 2015, and I am not aware of reading or hearing of any of the testing authorities commenting or criticising the placement of the fuel tank or its performance during crash testing.

As for ride comfort, have a look at tyre reviews for your market. I can recommend Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. If I was still running a Summer - WInter Tyre set up they would be my first choice Summer Tyre (Nokian would be my Winter choice). Due to fund and space limitations I am currently running Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2 which due to being a more snow and ice biased All Season Tyre, have an even softer compound than the Efficient Grip.

I don't work for Goodyear, it just happens they were always highly recommended and local tyre centres were doing deals on them at the time I needed to replace my tyres.

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It came with Michelin tires. I don't remember the model right off the bat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those brand new Michellins will last years. No sense in replacing new tires. Congrats On the new car. I thought the 2021 got different wheels on all trims but it looks like I was wrong. The car looks great.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those brand new Michellins will last years. No sense in replacing new tires.
Granted, however, if (and I stress if) ride comfort is an issue for the OP then changing the tyres over is a small price to pay for its improvement. I have to mount the kerb to gain access to my drive. During the 5 years I had the original fit Dunlop SP01's on my previous vehicle I went through at least 3 OSF and 2 NSF droplinks. After fitting the Goodyears, I never had to replace another droplink for the remaining 5 years of ownership, and ride comfort and road holding was noticeably improved.

However, if the OP is happy with the ride comfort (and slowing down for railway tracks et al) then my point is irrelevant, and happy motoring to them!

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those brand new Michellins will last years. No sense in replacing new tires. Congrats On the new car. I thought the 2021 got different wheels on all trims but it looks like I was wrong. The car looks great.
Thanks. I am liking the car so far. We have one really rough RR track. I would just plow over it in my CRV but it played havoc with the alignment. I've decided to be more circumspect in my old age. Since I started usually Michelins on my CRVs, they have lasted much better than the Continentals it came with. I was happy to see Michelins on the new car. We used to use Goodrich a lot here in town since we have a plant, but rarely see them anymore. I think they must manufacture a different branded tire now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The suspension should get softer and ride smoother in a few hundred more miles. My new 21 Ex had a rougher ride in the beginning, but it softened up quite a bit at 1,500mi. Rides real smooth now. Oh, and check the cold tire pressures too, dealers and mechanics seem to LOVE to over-inflate them. Mine rolled off the lot with 38 Front/ 38 Rear when it was supposed to be 32 Front/ 30 Rear. 🤦‍♂️ And be careful with nailing those RR tracks and curbs too, the rear wheels are non-alignable at all and the front is only TOE adjustable if I remember correctly.

Aside from that, love the car!

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will. I find my dealer likes to underinflate. LOL. I like them medium around 36. Better mpg too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The suspension should get softer and ride smoother in a few hundred more miles. My new 21 Ex had a rougher ride in the beginning, but it softened up quite a bit at 1,500mi. Rides real smooth now. Oh, and check the cold tire pressures too, dealers and mechanics seem to LOVE to over-inflate them. Mine rolled off the lot with 38 Front/ 38 Rear when it was supposed to be 32 Front/ 30 Rear. 🤦‍♂️ And be careful with nailing those RR tracks and curbs too, the rear wheels are non-alignable at all and the front is only TOE adjustable if I remember correctly.

Aside from that, love the car!
I think the factory over-inflates for shipping reasons- the 'dealer prep' is suppsoed to correct this - BUT most dont do this (or even check).
Also check the spare pressure - its should be 60#. (Mine was off day one)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it puts your mind at rest the HR-V has been extensively tested around the world since its launch in 2015, and I am not aware of reading or hearing of any of the testing authorities commenting or criticising the placement of the fuel tank or its performance during crash testing.

As for ride comfort, have a look at tyre reviews for your market. I can recommend Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. If I was still running a Summer - WInter Tyre set up they would be my first choice Summer Tyre (Nokian would be my Winter choice). Due to fund and space limitations I am currently running Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2 which due to being a more snow and ice biased All Season Tyre, have an even softer compound than the Efficient Grip.

I don't work for Goodyear, it just happens they were always highly recommended and local tyre centres were doing deals on them at the time I needed to replace my tyres.
I've used Goodyear Vector 4 Season for several years. Very effective on snow, improved the ride a little and no significant penalty in fuel consumption. I reckon they will be good for 40k miles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've used Goodyear Vector 4 Season for several years. Very effective on snow, improved the ride a little and no significant penalty in fuel consumption. I reckon they will be good for 40k miles.
My preferred option would be to have a Summer/Winter Tyre combo set up, but funds and space are in short supply.

The winters in the Central Belt are more icy than snowy, and unfortunately the Vectors are a little lacking in grip in those situations, fantastic in snow and heavy rain, but they can induce 'Twitching Rabbit Nose Syndrome' in icier conditions, to say the least. I do miss the AWD from my previous vehicle as I did not experience TRNS in all the time I owned it, and I went out more in snowy and icier conditions in that car than I did in my HR-V.

Still a really good tyre though.

·
Registered
2021 HRV-LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the posts everyone. My tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55R17. I will keep in mind the Goodyears when it comes time for new ones. I hope not for several years. Although I found on my CRV, they never quite lasted as long as one expects. I saw another thread where someone said we should get wider tires. Is there really recommended? I live in Alabama so snow and ice are not usually a concern. We just close down here and wait it out for a day or two at most.

In regard to the gas tank, I am just a bit more concern about road hazards since the HRV is a little lower than the CRV. I have slowed down some to get better gas mileage and that also gives me more time to avoid road hazards. I wonder what the clearance is on the HRV. I got the ruler and it is 11in on the front but underneath, it seems to be 7.5 effectively.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the UK the HR-V's ground clearance is 18.5 cm and the AWD Hybrid CRV is 20.8cm, so there is a 2.3cm of difference which is almost 1 inch = 2.54cm.

Note the HR-V is only sold as 2WD in Europe, so NA AWD models may have an increased ride height over its European counterpart. Notwithstanding, I have not experienced any grounding when bumping the kerb into my drive, or when going over speed humps around here.

Regardless of ground clearance, I would continue to approach speed humps and so on with caution, I went through a fair few coil springs during my 10 year ownership of my previous vehicle, and the general consensus from its owners forum was this was primarily down to factory fit springs tended to be made with extremely cheap steel/materials. If I wanted something more robust and durable they suggested going aftermarket. In the end I chose to drive a little slower when approaching speed humps and being a little more selective when choosing more challenging countryside routes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts