Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode my bike over to the dealer in Eugene today and I am happy to report that the HR-V has landed in Oregon. After cruising around the lot on my bike and being ignored by the circling lions who were all over the "real prospects" I finally asked one of the carnivores when the HR-Vs would arrive. He said they had 5 on the back lot waiting for prep and that I could ride over and look at them if I wanted. The guy never even looked at me during that little convo, he was ogling the folks checking out the Fit and it was clear my time allotment with him was up. Odd indeed.

BTW, This is not the first time I have noticed that salespeople seem to ignore me when I arrive on my bike. If I drive to the lot I get pounced on like everyone else, strange dynamic. Worked out well because I got to spend a long time, uninterrupted, looking at all 5 cars. 3 in black and 2 modern steel (1 LX, 2 EX and 2 EX-l navi). After slowly inspecting the entire exterior and looking under the hood I got the impression that fit and finish were first class. I noticed a thick layer of sound proofing material on the firewall between the engine and cabin. The doors close with a solid cachunk, not tinny at all. The hood, OTOH, was a little flimsy. It has a partial felt liner but could really use a layer of Dynamat damper material. Easy enough to remove the felt, apply the damper and reinstall the felt...even I can do that one.

All five units were riding on Michelin tires. The stock wheels are okay but ho hum, kinda boring. The upgrade units are not worth $1300 but who cares? Tons of good wheels available out there. A good set of classy rims and darker tint on the windows will make these babies look awesome. I'm not a fan of black cars but have to admit they looked nice, the grey ones not so much.

The interior was equally impressive. The leather trim seats were very comfortable and looked like a million bucks. The black interiors have a grey material on pillars and head liner that looks appropriate. I liked the adjustable cup holder with a lip that flips up to accommodate tall cups. The small cubby below the center console has me somewhat curious. I think it will be useful but it is a little out of the way. It will probably be the place to rest your phone while in transit since the outlets are right there.

While seated up front I was able to place my fist on my head with the thumb side on my skull and the pinky side just barely grazing the roof. This was the EX-L with moon roof and I am 5'10". the roof line in the back seat area is about an inch lower. Also pleased to report that the rear seats fold almost completely flat, not 100% but close enough. That will allow me to plug my Igloo cooler into the 12v outlet located just behind and between the two front buckets. Just enough clearance with the seats folded down to snake the cord up and towards the rear cargo area. Solves that problem but why did they not put an outlet in the rear cargo area?

One thing that struck me was the tail light lens. The back up light portion of the lens is a slight amber instead of clear plastic. I don't think it matters, actually looks kinda cool. Just different (see pictures) You will also notice a side by side shot of a yellow Fit and a black HR-V that illustrates the difference in the two length and height wise.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great review, thanks Rucky!

Re the tail light, I'm still confused about what parts are lights and what are just reflectors. The red parts, both the body and hatch, look like gangs of leds to me, but I think Bicepeak said the hatch part is all reflector? ...and I assume the clear part on the body is backup and/or signal light; are the clear bits on the hatch just reflector as well?

I realize it may be impossible to tell without someone else to step on the brake and flip switches.

Sounds like your impressions were mostly positive, so far... keep them coming!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Great review, thanks Rucky!

Re the tail light, I'm still confused about what parts are lights and what are just reflectors. The red parts, both the body and hatch, look like gangs of leds to me, but I think Bicepeak said the hatch part is all reflector? ...and I assume the clear part on the body is backup and/or signal light; are the clear bits on the hatch just reflector as well?

I realize it may be impossible to tell without someone else to step on the brake and flip switches.

Sounds like your impressions were mostly positive, so far... keep them coming!
Just heading out to test drive a manual. If I remember in the excitement, I will check the lights again.:)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
At dealer now....waiting for test drive....confirmed tail gate is only a reflector....brake or running....surprised carpet does not come on the HRV...is this a Honda thing?

I like the jewel look of the taillights and matching reflectors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
at dealer now....waiting for test drive....confirmed tail gate is only reflector....brake or running....surprised carpet does not come on the HRV...is this a Honda thing?
Might be a LX vs. EX difference about the carpet, I noticed some weird material on the floor of the LX.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You will also notice a side by side shot of a yellow Fit and a black HR-V that illustrates the difference in the two length and height wise.

And is that a CR-V on the far side of the HR-V?? All 3 in a row, it looks like -- nice comparison!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You will also notice a side by side shot of a yellow Fit and a black HR-V that illustrates the difference in the two length and height wise.

And is that a CR-V on the far side of the HR-V?? All 3 in a row, it looks like -- nice comparison!
Good catch Laurie. I did not notice that. I checked to see if the Fit and HR-V were lined up in front and they were. Did not pay attention to see if the CR-V was lined up with the other two but it is a good shot of all three. The roof lines in particular are easy to see. The camera was as close to roof level of the HR-V as I could get.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good catch Laurie. I did not notice that. I checked to see if the Fit and HR-V were lined up in front and they were. Did not pay attention to see if the CR-V was lined up with the other two but it is a good shot of all three. The roof lines in particular are easy to see. The camera was as close to roof level of the HR-V as I could get.
Actually pretty sure that's an Odyssey on the other side... the off-colour spoiler, vertical hatch, and no reflector stack up the rear pillar.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Actually pretty sure that's an Odyssey on the other side... the off-colour spoiler, vertical hatch, and no reflector stack up the rear pillar.
I was thinking the same thing. Then again, if you took a CR-V and gave it sliding doors, wouldn't it be a mini-van anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts