Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that as long as I carry the Key fob I can just walk up to the tailgate to unlock it and open it. I've tried it several times but I can't seem to get it to open without having to press the tailgate open button on the key. Whenever I press the button on the tailgate to unlock, the lights flash but the tailgate doesn't unlock. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
If you have the Smart key, it should open with the by pressing the button. There two buttons on the handle, i hope you pressed the right one.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was under the impression that as long as I carry the Key fob I can just walk up to the tailgate to unlock it and open it. I've tried it several times but I can't seem to get it to open without having to press the tailgate open button on the key. Whenever I press the button on the tailgate to unlock, the lights flash but the tailgate doesn't unlock. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?
It sounds like you are pressing the LOCK button on the tailgate, rather than the hatch release:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was having the same issue and I do believe I was hitting both buttons. Now I am depressing the hatch release and hold that button when opening the hatch. Otherwise it does not open.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had same issue. It feels like hatch release has two buttons, one on each side. It seems be working when I hold both buttons when opening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here, I was under the impression that if I pressed the hatch release / open button on my key fob it should open but it doesn't. Why have this on the fob then?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Same here, I was under the impression that if I pressed the hatch release / open button on my key fob it should open but it doesn't. Why have this on the fob then?
Same button layout for the LX (keyed) and EX (keyless) versions. The hatch button unlocks the hatch; it's not a power hatch.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I had same issue. It feels like hatch release has two buttons, one on each side. It seems be working when I hold both buttons when opening.
Reposting my photo from January 10:

It doesn't feel like the hatch release has two buttons, it has two buttons, each with a different shape and texture, so you can do this blindfolded. The small round button on the right locks the doors; the large oblong one unlocks the hatch, and is used to lift the hatch. Press the hatch release button to unlock, and continue pressing it to lift the hatch. Do not lift the hatch using the camera or the plastic trim between the latch and the rear window. If you press the latch with your left hand, use the right hand at the lower edge of the tailgate, which will give you more leverage to assist lifting.

Manual, page 114:

This isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having trouble with the tailgate latch release. If the car is not locked, the latch releases very easily. However, if it is locked, the first time I press the latch release, the lights flash, the unlock beep sounds, the interior cargo light comes on and the hatch moves about 1/4" but will not open. If I then push the hatch closed and press the latch release a second time, it opens easily. Suggestions?

Shelden, I know it isn't rocket science, however, it is not operating correctly or conveniently, especially when I am trying to open the hatch at night in winter (and I open it at night at least once a week).

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am also having trouble with the tailgate latch release. If the car is not locked, the latch releases very easily. However, if it is locked, the first time I press the latch release, the lights flash, the unlock beep sounds, the interior cargo light comes on and the hatch moves about 1/4" but will not open. If I then push the hatch closed and press the latch release a second time, it opens easily. Suggestions?

Shelden, I know it isn't rocket science, however, it is not operating correctly or conveniently, especially when I am trying to open the hatch at night in winter (and I open it at night at least once a week).
I had the same issue until I figured out how to handle my tailgate.
I press the hatch release button on the tailgate, but do NOT lift the tailgate. I hear an immediate click followed by another faint click about a second later. Only then I press the hatch release button again, but this time while I lift the tailgate.
It works perfectly every time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got so miffed with this problem that I brought my HR-V to the dealer this morning. The salesperson had some problems as well so she had a dealer mechanic look into the problem. The solution; when pressing the hatch release button DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTON until you have raised the hatch about 10 to 12 inches.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts

The tailgate lock seems to bind when new. It will wearing in eventually. If you don't have the patience, have the dealer adjust it. The tailgate should open the same way wether it is locked or unlocked. One you hear the unlock click, the gate should open on the first try.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

If you are pressing the correct button, take it to the dealer to be checked out. Since picking up my HR-V in August, the hatch has never failed to open as I described.

Please report back what you find at the dealer.

PS: It's "Selden" not "Shelden" or "Sheldon" or "Seldon", all common misspellings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally had the service department look at the problem I have with the tailgate latch release getting stuck. My spouse has trouble with it as well. Sometimes the latch releases the first time, but more often, it does not. I just played with it again. I can hear the latches release and still it hangs up at times. The first guy in the service department who looked at it had intermittent trouble with it. The second guy - our assigned service advisor - had no trouble getting the latch to release the first time, every time. He said they would look at it. When we called the next day, they said 'no one else can replicate the problem.' When we went to pick up the car, my spouse and I continued to have trouble with the latch release and the service advisor did not. Having him stand there, trying not to look smug, as he released the latch time after time and me showing him that I it continues to stick for me did not endear me to him. Since he is able to consistently open the hatch, maybe he would be willing to accompany me every time I know I will need to open the tailgate and then my problem is solved. I can't decide if I should complain to my salesperson, the service department manager or both or just continue to live with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
There is no practice. :) I can open my tailgate in one fluid motion. The same as the other 4 doors
@LBinKC Did you tried the tailgate on different HRV? If you still have the same issue with another HRV then it might be your technic.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
"One fluid motion" is a perfect description. I just went out to the HR-V and pressed, then released the rubber button. Sure enough, the hatch wouldn't open. Since August 10, when I press and lift in one fluid motion, there has not been a single case when it didn't open as expected.

The other two "issues" I have seen are 1) breaking off the rear view camera (which isn't designed for lifting the hatch), and 2) hearing a single beep, then finding that the hatch is still locked — which is to be expected, since there are two buttons, one to open the hatch (2 beeps if locked), the other to lock all doors (1 beep). If you press the lock button, it's not going to open.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I finally had the service department look at the problem I have with the tailgate latch release getting stuck. My spouse has trouble with it as well. Sometimes the latch releases the first time, but more often, it does not. I just played with it again. I can hear the latches release and still it hangs up at times. The first guy in the service department who looked at it had intermittent trouble with it. The second guy - our assigned service advisor - had no trouble getting the latch to release the first time, every time. He said they would look at it. When we called the next day, they said 'no one else can replicate the problem.' When we went to pick up the car, my spouse and I continued to have trouble with the latch release and the service advisor did not. Having him stand there, trying not to look smug, as he released the latch time after time and me showing him that I it continues to stick for me did not endear me to him. Since he is able to consistently open the hatch, maybe he would be willing to accompany me every time I know I will need to open the tailgate and then my problem is solved. I can't decide if I should complain to my salesperson, the service department manager or both or just continue to live with it.
This morning I experienced what I think you're struggling with. When you push the button it engages a solenoid (I think) only momentarily then goes back to the latched position. What the others are saying about a fluid motion makes sense to me now. I had to shoulder mine shut a few times until the latch reset and I could open it.

Try this: push the button, then try to open the hatch, it will probably hang. Make sure the hatch is fully latched then try pulling the hatch open with the button (cup against the button and pull swiftly against it), it should open fine.

If you're too slow, the solenoid resets before the latch fully clears the hook in the car. It needs to be one quick motion

1 - 20 of 62 Posts