Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same here - I've been testing it often. If I open without hesitation it will open in one swift motion. I'm not sure why it wouldn't open before- but i'll take it!

·
Super Moderator
1,472 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand what others are talking about. I don't wait for a click or anything for that matter. I just push the button while pulling up on the rear door and it opens every time.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've had my car for 2 years now, just last week it took me 5 tries to open (I don't think I forgot how to use it )

It seemed to get stuck mid open sequence, I had to hip check the gate to fully close before it could un latch it. I'll probably lube it up when I remember

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also have had no issues with the tailgate. Most of the time, I unlock all the doors and the tailgate unlocks as well so I can open it. I don't think I have ever used the tailgate button on the key fob. (I really see no purpose for it). The only time I had a problem was when we had a freezing rain with snow afterwards and I think the lock got frozen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the world’s worst design. I love every single thing about my HRV except this. I took it in once. Worked great when service guy did it. Made me feel stupid when the next day it wouldn’t work again for me. He actually said that you have to give it a second between unlock and open. After ONE YEAR, and unlocking it with the door most of the time, I finally figured out that you push only the hatch button, but you have to give it two quick pushes. One right after the other. Exact opposite of what service guy said. FINALLY working!

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I brought my car in for the sunroof repair I asked if anyone has mentioned the hatch sometimes being difficult to open. They said no and that was OK with me - but I just got a call that they went ahead and replaced the latch anyways since it was still under warranty. Sweet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now that is a great Honda dealer. Congratulations.
They are pretty great (John Eagle Honda). They are about 30 miles away, but the local Honda dealer down the street is terrible. This is my second car I got there and they treat me like the most important customer that will walk in that day. I went to the local dealer to get the sunroof repaired and before I could step out of my car to talk to the advisor, the guy in the drive was like "looks like this wind deflector you added was installed incorrectly and look how wobbly it is - it'll be $135 for us to diagnose or even look at this today." Um I didn't install it, the dealer did and $135 for a problem that I've already explained & showed you - seems a bit steep. "yea, you can leave and come back later if you want" ... so I drove to the other dealer. "No problem, we'll take a look. Have some free cookies and coffee while you wait, oh and it's covered under warranty so no charges today!"

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Some dealers just don’t get it. They can get by with it when demand is high but definitely not the way to run a business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I use the key fob trunk release, I still have to finesse the button. It just doesn’t release right. I took it to dealer and they just stood around clicking my key fob, and did nothing about it hanging up. I am hurting my wrist on this, pulling up and it’s not released. Lights always flash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Intermittent working tailgate latch

I have a 2017 HRV which I love, with the exception of one thing. Since day one, warm or cold weather, my tailgate does not consistently release when I just use the key sensor (key in my pocket). When I get right up to the tailgate, I try to open the latch (and yes I'm hitting the right button, not the lock button), and I have to tug on it 3 to 5 times before it totally unlatches and opens. Other times, it opens first try. No rhyme or reason why as I've tried to do it many, many times to figure out a pattern. The only thing that holds true is once it opens and I shut it right away, it opens first try immediately after and all the subsequent times. It's only after it sits a while does this seem to happen. So....of course, the techs at dealership have a hard time replicating this. They did agree to replace the entire latch for me, but the problem still exists. On my 3rd visit last night, the rep/person who was "managing" the work (the guy sitting at the desk) actually told me that the sensor was not supposed to work. That I always had to use my key. I asked him then why would they replace the latch for me if this is the case? Also, I ran right home and looked in the manual and it specifically says "YOU CAN LOCK OR UNLOCK THE DOORS AND TAILGATE WITHOUT HANDLING THE TRANSMITTER." Since then, I have looked online and find that this is a continual problem for many of Honda's vehicles. So everyone, is there a fix? When my arms are loaded with groceries and I'm tugging and tugging on the tailgate I want to yell at someone!!! Help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 HRV which I love, with the exception of one thing. Since day one, warm or cold weather, my tailgate does not consistently release when I just use the key sensor (key in my pocket). When I get right up to the tailgate, I try to open the latch (and yes I'm hitting the right button, not the lock button), and I have to tug on it 3 to 5 times before it totally unlatches and opens. Other times, it opens first try. No rhyme or reason why as I've tried to do it many, many times to figure out a pattern. The only thing that holds true is once it opens and I shut it right away, it opens first try immediately after and all the subsequent times. It's only after it sits a while does this seem to happen. So....of course, the techs at dealership have a hard time replicating this. They did agree to replace the entire latch for me, but the problem still exists. On my 3rd visit last night, the rep/person who was "managing" the work (the guy sitting at the desk) actually told me that the sensor was not supposed to work. That I always had to use my key. I asked him then why would they replace the latch for me if this is the case? Also, I ran right home and looked in the manual and it specifically says "YOU CAN LOCK OR UNLOCK THE DOORS AND TAILGATE WITHOUT HANDLING THE TRANSMITTER." Since then, I have looked online and find that this is a continual problem for many of Honda's vehicles. So everyone, is there a fix? When my arms are loaded with groceries and I'm tugging and tugging on the tailgate I want to yell at someone!!! Help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue, the second stage of the latch isnt releasing for some reason.. It's really dont bother me much tho. Iv worked in dealerships for Mitsubishi and Subaru and seen the same identical issue.. so seems like it just the nature of the beast.. My 2018 HRV does the same thing..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tailgate is stuck

I've had my 2016 HRV for a couple years (bought used). I've had no issues with the hatcback until today. First, while i was driving, the symbol saying that I had a door that wasn't closed all the way kept coming on and off. I realized it did it anytime i hit a small bump. I pulled over and my hatch was a little loose so, I pushed it closed. The electrical symbol went away, but now I can't get it to open. Is there any way to manually open it? I've tried locking and unlocking. I've tried holding the button on the key fob while opening. Nothing seems to work. Help?

·
Registered
619 Posts
No owners manual?

Mine shows answer on p476, and clearly noted in the table of contents.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe it's one aspect of multiple electrical problems with this model. My tailgate is permanently locked. I don't feel like crawling inside and using a screwdriver to open it every time I buy groceries. I had problems with the starting system early on, took it to the dealership, was told everything was fine. Got stranded several times on vacation, called the Honda emergency service multiple times to get it running. I'm just holding on until I can afford to sell this thing and trade to a different make. Most HR-V owners I know have had similar problems, and the mechanics are not familiar enough with this model to repair them adequately. Used to love Hondas, had 5; this is my last one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES. YES YES YES to everything you said there. I have this exact problem that you described and all the exact incidences. It does open for a little while after you've gotten it open, and will stick again when it sits for awhile. Mine is also a 2017, although just like you, I've researched this and LOTS of people with all different model years have had this problem, and lots of people have had trouble with Honda service fixing it or even acknowledging a problem. Have you had any luck since you wrote this and gotten it fixed? I hesitate to take it in because I don't think the service people and dealers want to admit there's a widespread problem and possibly don't know how to fix it, because like you said, it will only stick the one time and won't stick again until a couple days later of not opening it. Last time I went in about this they made me feel like the problem was me and I was doing it wrong (even though it stuck for them too when they tried it). It's not me, and it's sooooo frustrating. I've had the car about a year and a half and this tailgate problem is actually getting worse. I really wish I loved this car as much as I loved my last Honda but I just don't and this just makes it more unlovable. Any successful fixes on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read these suggestions and look forward to trying them out on our HRV which started having this problem recently after 2 years. My question is, why would Honda make something that should be pretty simple, more complicated? I have had several cars and none of them were this wonky to open. Push the button, pop and lift. Should be that simple.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have read these suggestions and look forward to trying them out on our HRV which started having this problem recently after 2 years. My question is, why would Honda make something that should be pretty simple, more complicated? I have had several cars and none of them were this wonky to open. Push the button, pop and lift. Should be that simple.
I find the guys that designed the infotainment system to also be a bit 'screwey' ..... everything shoudl be simple.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts