Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I looked last night- I see what you mean.'
Thanks-

Those were actually barely finger tight- almost loose.
This weekend I should be able to tackle this.... myabe take some pics too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is filled with water too. Dealer told me to have my husband or son take it apart and drain it. Well I don't have either of those so does anyone have any idea how to take it apart? I haven't been able to find a video. Not under warranty. Too many miles

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine is filled with water too. Dealer told me to have my husband or son take it apart and drain it. Well I don't have either of those so does anyone have any idea how to take it apart? I haven't been able to find a video. Not under warranty. Too many miles
I’m not planning on marrying to faciliate car repairs. I don’t have a man around the house, but I use a mechanic to take care of the car for oil changes, brakes, changing the wipers, etc. Anything I don’t/can’t do for my HRV myself, I don’t need a dealer for, just a trained mechanic. Gas stations seem to keep them hired to fix cars. If you don’t want to do it yourself, bring your car to a mechanic and get the tail lights drained. This is not something you need a dealer for, especially if the car is out of warranty.

Apparently the bolts are located as described in this thread. The mechanic might need a little helpful knowledge you can supply about where to look to unscrew the taillight lenses, but it’s nothing too challenging. He also might be able to drill a small hole at the bottom of the lens so it will drain itself. I’m sure it’s fixable. Drive it to somewhere you trust. It’ll get done and you’ll be happy soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I didnt get to do mine- BUT there are 2 nuts you can access with hatch open - they are black acorn nuts along the edge of the hatch itself - easy

THEN there are 2 nuts inside and hidden behined the rear plastic panel - one can be accessed through the little access panel that is used to get to the reverse bulbs
- the 4th is visable from this access panel - but you cannot get to it- you have to remove the entire lower plastic panel. It is held by a few of those plastic push panel clips- so it may take a little trial and error to get it off. And i think the top plastic panel overlapps the lower panel- so that may need to be removed as well.

I actually saw a youtube vidoe of some guy installing a new back up camera etc to a Vezel that shows the entire removal of the panels - it was an asian aftemarket installer that did it. Helpful - but search for Vezel and not HRV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If there is water in the lens, make sure to take care of it as soon as you see it. I did not take it to the dealer for a couple of months and by then after the water was out, the reflective surface inside had gotten damaged. Lucky I got it in before my warranty expired so got new lamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I finally got around to this today. Once I popped off the little panel in the back I saw the 2 bolts. I was able to get them both off without removing the plastic panels......tight squeeze, small wrench. Water came pouring out. I tried to dry it as best I could. Then I had some clear silicone caulk. Put that all around the edges. Put it back together and have my fingers crossed it won't leak again. Who needs a husband or a kid. Girls get things done. LOL. Thank you everyone for the tips!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought the new 2016 Honda HRV. My warranty ran out 2 months ago and then I noticed my right rear tail light full of water, sloshing when I lift the tailgate. It pains me to read the comments about otherlucky HRV owners taking their cars into the dealers and having the tail light assembly replaced. I took my car into Honda Barn, Stratham, NH where I bought the car new. They agree it's a situation that will eventually corrode the light socket but didn't offer anything but an expensive replacement. Nothing about gaskets. They suggested they'd call Honda and ask if they would possibly replace the assembly but I have heard nothing back. Reading the posts here Honda must know about this problem with the HRV and that it's poor workmanship, a bad seal. Cars are meant to be used in the rain. We have had to drill a small hole at the bottom of the light cover to drain it. T
here is still plenty of condensation inside

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just noticed tail light water on the passenger side on the lid portion. I have a 2016 with 20,000 mile and out of warranty. I have had similar problems on other cars but none were this new. Obviously defective design, parts and/or assembly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Today I (hopefully) repaired the leak in my 2016 HR-V LX passenger side tail light assembly.

Just 4 retaining nuts and the assembly comes right out. Two are accessible from the outside edge of the lid. For the remaining two you need to remove the access cover (there is one on each side). An 8mm nut driver works fine for three but the fourth inner one requires an open end wrench. After you loosen it use your fingers to carefully remove the nut so it does not drop into the lid.

There is a large gasket around the area of the backup light and this is where the water poured out so I assume that is where it came in. The gasket has a groove where it fits to the assembly and I filled that groove with Permatex before reinstalling the gasket (see photos). If this does not solve the problem the next step will be to seal the entire light assembly around the edge.

In order to get the water out and to help with any future water issues, I drilled a 1/4" hole at the lowest point of the back of the assembly to allow it to drain out (see photo). Be careful to just go through the back plastic and don't damage the front.

There were still a few water droplets that I wanted to get out before putting everything back together. I tried compressed air which helped but not entirely so I put the whole unit into my clothes dryer on a shelf made for drying sneakers and other things (such as a tail light) that you don't want to tumble around (see photo). I set the dryer at a medium temperature for 15 minutes and hoped it would not melt the plastic. This worked great and all of the water was removed after another shot of compressed air.

More rain expected for the next few days so we will see if this solved the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Clever use of dryer shelf! I have that same accessory in my Kenmore dryer. Use it for drying sneakers and also sweaters or ball caps. Drum turns, heat fills in, shelf stays inert. I’ll remember your trick if my tail light leaks.

Be sure to report on your success after a few rains. Hope your problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Hair dryer is much easier and faster at removing moisture. That's how I fixed my tail light.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Today I (hopefully) repaired the leak in my 2016 HR-V LX passenger side tail light assembly.

Just 4 retaining nuts and the assembly comes right out. Two are accessible from the outside edge of the lid. For the remaining two you need to remove the access cover (there is one on each side). An 8mm nut driver works fine for three but the fourth inner one requires an open end wrench. After you loosen it use your fingers to carefully remove the nut so it does not drop into the lid.

There is a large gasket around the area of the backup light and this is where the water poured out so I assume that is where it came in. The gasket has a groove where it fits to the assembly and I filled that groove with Permatex before reinstalling the gasket (see photos). If this does not solve the problem the next step will be to seal the entire light assembly around the edge.

In order to get the water out and to help with any future water issues, I drilled a 1/4" hole at the lowest point of the back of the assembly to allow it to drain out (see photo). Be careful to just go through the back plastic and don't damage the front.

There were still a few water droplets that I wanted to get out before putting everything back together. I tried compressed air which helped but not entirely so I put the whole unit into my clothes dryer on a shelf made for drying sneakers and other things (such as a tail light) that you don't want to tumble around (see photo). I set the dryer at a medium temperature for 15 minutes and hoped it would not melt the plastic. This worked great and all of the water was removed after another shot of compressed air.

More rain expected for the next few days so we will see if this solved the problem.
After many hours of non-stop rain, it appears that my tail light leak problem has been solved. No sign of any water in the assembly or condensation on the inside of the lens. Now waiting to see if it occurs on the other side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought the new 2016 Honda HRV. My warranty ran out 2 months ago and then I noticed my right rear tail light full of water, sloshing when I lift the tailgate. It pains me to read the comments about otherlucky HRV owners taking their cars into the dealers and having the tail light assembly replaced. I took my car into Honda Barn, Stratham, NH where I bought the car new. They agree it's a situation that will eventually corrode the light socket but didn't offer anything but an expensive replacement. Nothing about gaskets. They suggested they'd call Honda and ask if they would possibly replace the assembly but I have heard nothing back. Reading the posts here Honda must know about this problem with the HRV and that it's poor workmanship, a bad seal. Cars are meant to be used in the rain. We have had to drill a small hole at the bottom of the light cover to drain it. T
here is still plenty of condensation inside

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news for me! I got a call from the dealer and Honda agreed to replace the tail light assembly. I went today and it is done. Honda service reps at the dealer said they hadn't had any other complaints like this... Odd... I referred them to this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noticed the same issue on mine about a month ago. Took it in for warranty replacement, only to find out that I hit the mileage limit at the beginning of March, so my vehicle is no longer covered under Honda's warranty, despite being less than two years old. Made a call to corporate and they're currently reviewing my case, but so far it sounds like they're leaning towards making an exception and covering it. Once I get the final word, I'll definitely be referring them to this forum as well.

UPDATE: Originally made this post in the morning, but just got off the phone with Honda and they are covering it 100%! I offered to link them to here, but we told "we don't really go by what's posted on forums, but that's good to know." I'd encourage everyone who has this issue to report it in hopes that maybe there will be a recall on the part. And definitely call if you have a recently expired warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like a defective seal/gasket... I discovered a dead silverfish/cockroach in my tail light a few days after I bought the car. Brought it back to the dealer and they took it out. They said it "took a ride" on the cars' shipment here....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Contacted Honda dealership. Are in service 10/15 KM 58300. They said they couldn't help me because the warranty had timed out. I've called Honda Canada...we'll see how that goes!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts