Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many I love my HRV but am disappointed with the audio quality of the stereo. So After tons of research and thanks to people of this forum, I am starting my stereo install soon. The Headunit and speakers should arrive early next week. Everything else I have. I will document as much as I can. The following is my component list so far.

Pioneer dmh-zf9350bt
DMH-ZF9350BT - Pioneer
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 component
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Maximo Ultra Series 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Coax Maximo Ultra Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield
IDatalink Maestro RR
iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
IDatalink HO2 harness
iDatalink - Maestro - HO2 or RHO2
12v - 5v USB port fast charger
USB cover 39115-T5A-J01 x 2
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~holder~assy~usb~39115-t5a-j01.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,3445;et=2,4)
HDMI cover 39119-T6A-003
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~holder~assy~hdmi~39119-t6a-003.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,3445;et=2,4)
Cover assembly 83411-T7W-A01ZA
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cover~ass~nh900l~83411-t7w-a01za.html
Antenna adapter plug
HONDA MAZDA 2009 UP AFTERMARKET ANTENNA ADAPTER PLUG WIRING HARNESS PLUG 40-HD11 | eBay
Metra single din dash kit
Metra Online
Power fold mirrors with lane view from Ausi wreckers
HONDA HRV RIGHT DOOR MIRROR RU5, VTi-L, POWER FOLD, AUTO DIP TYPE, 12/14-06/18 1 | eBay
Auto fold mirror module and windows
Power mirror switch replacement
1080P Dash camera
Car Dvr Camera 1080p Full Hd 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens Tft Screen Safe Capacito 827163230125 | eBay
Micro usb charger with fuse tap for dash cam
Studio Proper windshield mount
https://www.studioproper.com.au
Qi Wireless phone mount
Mini usb with fuse tap for phone
Leather steering wheel cover
Side scuff plates
Nano ceramic 35% tint
HD reverse camera

Future:
Replace lane watch camera with HD
PAC 4 cam switcher
Ultrasonic parking sensors and or 360 birds eye view cams?
power lift rear door kit
New Advent ADVLFTHRV Remote Control Powered Lift-Gate for 2016-2017 Honda HRV | eBay

And a pic of the car on the lot the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My HRV did not have an USB ports so I’m replacing the console. One usb will be connected to the radio, one to a fast charger 5v and the HDMI will probably remain empty for now. I can’t see a use for HDMI

·
Registered
259 Posts
Now i am inspired ... does the Datalink work out well ?
Do you still need to splice in wires for the parking brake, or does that happen electronically via the Datalink now ?

I want to install and splice all wires that I could on a bench, before i install - want to make it true plug and play as much as possible.

And any pics of the tweeters installed ( finished look of course)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the idatalink should handle reverse camera and lane view and steering wheel controls automatically for you. You can check this on their website and see supported stereos. However I am dumb realized yesterday that my NZ pioneer doesn’t support idatalink. So I now have a maestro RR for sale and I need to buy some more adapters :(
PM me if you want a cheap brand new maestro with Honda harness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since I can’t use the maestro anymore, that would have been too simple, I had to do a lot more research on getting the stock cameras and steering wheel controls working. Unfortunately that means I had to order some more parts. It really sucks living in New Zealand sometimes when everything takes minimum 2 weeks to arrive.
The stock cameras require 6v so I ordered a 12v to 6v voltage step down. Next I needed a solution for the steering wheel controls. I’m not sure if I could just plug the steering control wire into the pioneer or not but I ended up ordering an axxess integrate ASWC-1 since my metra harness was already wired for it anyway.
ASWC-1 | Axxess Integrate
It should give some more customization. I realized Ill need a parking break bypass since the pioneer uses a pulsed signal and not just ground to work So I ordered a APPS2car.
And while I was at it some LED backup lights for fun.
At least I managed to salvage some of the maestro harness parts. I hacked up the camera adapter and added an extra pin for the reverse signal trigger based on the connector pin out. The harness didn’t have it since the maestro detects everything over the obd2 port.

This is my frankenharness so far

Ive been spending a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to mount a floating screen in an HRV. Since the dash if angled I want the screen to be vertical like a Tesla model 3. I also didn’t want a huge gap behind the screen like most installs have with this unit. After a lot of messing around I think I found a good solution. I tried the single din at the top and bottom but settled on the middle of the dashkit. This makes the screen flush with the bottom with no gap. I had to push the head unit in as far as it would go and and angle it so I will still be able to tilt the screen. This also allows me to angle the screen if its picking up glare or something. The only issue is the dashkit is meant to be filled with a single or double din and a drawer And now I have a big hole. I’ll need to cut a piece of PVC to fill the gaps.

My paper template for the pvc
EEDF0F2B-9DC2-4D61-A40F-53438DC5988F.jpeg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good luck - I am sticking to a Kenwood if ( when) I upgrade - its almost plug and play.
i did some inexpensive speaker upgrades and i think they expose the OEM head unit's flaws even more. Right now the "EQ" from the factory is too simple, and I cannot get it where i really like it.I 'm missing some of the the good ol' mid-gut punch that I love ( i listen to metal, and hard rock mostly ) but the base is much cleaner and the highs are clean too ( but they are a bit harsh at times).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was pretty convinced to go with a Kenwood for quite a while but then I fell in love with the floating 9” screen. No ugly buttons or bezels was a major requirement for me. I want it to look like it could be stock. I can’t stand the look of 3 or 4 bezels that you get with a 7” screen is a 9” hole and a dash kit. If kenwood made a 9” capacitive HD screen with wireless CarPlay I would be all over it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Today was install day. 😁 I’m super happy with the result.
I’m still waiting for the voltage converter for the cameras. I also need to cut some pvc for gaps.
Need to change that carplay background. Yikes.
Old

new

trying to get a WiFi signal to agree to terms and service.

looks awesome from the side. Router cut pvc coming. I May lower the screen a tad but I’ll need to drill some new mounting holes in the kit.

annoyed I couldn’t hide this better. I don’t like things that don’t look stock. Thought about hiding it in the Honda sense mounding since I don’t actually have any Honda sense features on my model. Not really sure if I should disconnect them though

adding a fusetap for the dash cam. It has voltage protection so I may switch it to continuous power with shock detection. It doesn’t have an accessory wire though so not sure how that would still record while driving.

taping into the parking break wire. Will swap to a break bypass later.

ill cleanup my harness and wrap it once I get the voltage converter for the cameras

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ran the gps receiver through the hole of whatever sensor this is. Found an adapter to use the stock vehicle gps antenna so I may switch to that instead.

my attempt to hide the microphone in the rearview mirror housing. Not the cleanest hole but it looks fine when installed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working on the usb hub replacement since mine has no ports whatsoever except a power outlet. The pioneer came with a usb c to usb a adapter which fits perfectly in the usb cover with a little bit of hot glue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My HRV did not have an USB ports so I’m replacing the console. One usb will be connected to the radio, one to a fast charger 5v and the HDMI will probably remain empty for now. I can’t see a use for HDMI View attachment 30387

Like many I love my HRV but am disappointed with the audio quality of the stereo. So After tons of research and thanks to people of this forum, I am starting my stereo install soon. The Headunit and speakers should arrive early next week. Everything else I have. I will document as much as I can. The following is my component list so far.

Pioneer dmh-zf9350bt
DMH-ZF9350BT - Pioneer
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 component
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Maximo Ultra Series 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 coax
Morel Maximo Ultra 602 Coax Maximo Ultra Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield
IDatalink Maestro RR
iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
IDatalink HO2 harness
iDatalink - Maestro - HO2 or RHO2
12v - 5v USB port fast charger
USB cover 39115-T5A-J01 x 2
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~holder~assy~usb~39115-t5a-j01.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,3445;et=2,4)
HDMI cover 39119-T6A-003
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~holder~assy~hdmi~39119-t6a-003.html?Make=Honda&Model=HR-V&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,3445;et=2,4)
Cover assembly 83411-T7W-A01ZA
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cover~ass~nh900l~83411-t7w-a01za.html
Antenna adapter plug
HONDA MAZDA 2009 UP AFTERMARKET ANTENNA ADAPTER PLUG WIRING HARNESS PLUG 40-HD11 | eBay
Metra single din dash kit
Metra Online
Power fold mirrors with lane view from Ausi wreckers
HONDA HRV RIGHT DOOR MIRROR RU5, VTi-L, POWER FOLD, AUTO DIP TYPE, 12/14-06/18 1 | eBay
Auto fold mirror module and windows
Power mirror switch replacement
1080P Dash camera
Car Dvr Camera 1080p Full Hd 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens Tft Screen Safe Capacito 827163230125 | eBay
Micro usb charger with fuse tap for dash cam
Studio Proper windshield mount
https://www.studioproper.com.au
Qi Wireless phone mount
Mini usb with fuse tap for phone
Leather steering wheel cover
Side scuff plates

Future:
HD reverse camera TBD
PAC 4 cam switcher
Ultrasonic parking sensors and or 360 birds eye view cams
Nice summary. I was also looking for the new usb console. Thanks man!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lots of goodies arrived today. First my awsc-1 steering wheel controller and 6v converter for the stock cameras. The camera set up is pretty temporary until my new backup camera arrives. I can’t believe how terrible the stock camera is. I may replace the lane watch camera as well. You can see them in the harness here. Awsc-1 plugged straight into the metra harness.
Its really annoying me to configure. I had it all working, except the phone buttons for some reason, so I put the radio back in. Guess what, now it doesn’t work. So tomorrow I’ll need to tear the dash all apart again. It’s getting old.

Next my morel speakers showed up a week early 😁 That will be my weekend project.
i haven’t decided where to put the tweeters yet. Either in the dash or the door pillar.

And finally my power mirror switch arrived so I can finally install the power fold mirrors.

One thing i really need to sort is the vss speed sensor wire. I went looking for it today but it’s cold and rainy and I didn’t have much luck.
New usb panel is all done. I’ll pop it in tomorrow. No idea why the hdmi has a different finish. These are straight Oem from Honda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lots of goodies arrived today. First my awsc-1 steering wheel controller and 6v converter for the stock cameras. The camera set up is pretty temporary until my new backup camera arrives. I can’t believe how terrible the stock camera is. I may replace the lane watch camera as well. You can see them in the harness here. Awsc-1 plugged straight into the metra harness.
Its really annoying me to configure. I had it all working, except the phone buttons for some reason, so I put the radio back in. Guess what, now it doesn’t work. So tomorrow I’ll need to tear the dash all apart again. It’s getting old.
View attachment 30505 Next my morel speakers showed up a week early 😁 That will be my weekend project.
View attachment 30506 View attachment 30507
And finally my power mirror switch arrived so I can finally install the power fold mirrors.
View attachment 30508
One thing i really need to sort is the vss speed sensor wire. I went looking for it today but it’s cold and rainy and I didn’t have much luck.
Nice. I tried removing the lane watch cam housing. Closest i got was removing the cap, mirrors and some of the some plastic frames.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
36 Posts
Not sure if it makes any difference to you, or if it may cause you any issues, however, the USB Panel you've purchased is for the LHD market.

This is the layout on my vehicle;

1 - 20 of 56 Posts